Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 48: The Return, Part 13

8 hours ago, Mentalgongfu said:

Watching on a phone?

Mr. Lynch says:

12-totalbeauty-logo-halloween-costumes-2015.jpeg

I watched the episode on an 80" projector screen, I was just revisiting the scenes on my phone when I made my post. I would never dishonor Lynch like that. 

1 hour ago, utilityfrog said:

I just re-checked the episode and BadCoop tells them that they have to kill the warden and then that they have a double-header in Vegas. So, they definitely have two targets in Vegas (assuming that that's what "double-header" means, anyway).

I figured the "double-header in Vegas" was referring to them killing DougieCoop and then Duncan Todd for having failed to do so.

I really enjoyed this episode. Everything with Dougie was outrageous and golden. I really enjoyed the whole underground armwrestling gang, and I thought the further exploration of Audrey's life was unnerving and fitting for how Lynch has seemingly thought of the character for a while, as this very out of time, dreamlike presence in the town. Her current situation really lends creedence to the meme that Mulholland Drive was supposed to be an Audrey Horne film. 

I recently listened to an episode of Henry Rollins podcast where he talked about working with Lynch on Lost Highway. He made a note of mentioning Lynch's love of music - if you've seen the film, you know it has an intensely late 90s soundtrack: late career Bowie, Trent Reznor, Marilyn Manson, etc. Thinking about James' Song also made me think of how neatly the diagetic musical influences of the original run of Twin Peaks have folded back in onto the show. I've always imagined Lynch working in the early 90s on the show, heavily influenced by eighties shoegaze acts like my bloody valentine, maybe Galaxie 500, and definitely Julee Cruise. I really appreciate Lynch working back to that feel of music and dragging it back in, but with modern artists like Chromatics and Sharon Van Etten. As a teenager who got into Twin Peaks at the same time I was getting into stuff like Loveless or On Fire, it's really nice to see Lynch shouting it out. 

The podcast, by the way: http://henryrollins.com/dispatch

I'm started to see some anxious posts around the web about if the show will be able to satisfyingly wrap up all the plot threads and give a ending with 5 episodes left. But do we know for sure that this is a one and done season? When people have asked Lynch if there will be additional seasons after this one, he's been very coy. Saying something to the effect of "never say never". Someone asked Maclachlan and his response was that he thinks there would be a good chance of it happening but that it comes down to what Lynch/Frost want to do. The fact that no one has straight up said "No, this is it. Just this season." has me suspicious. Is the last episode going to end with Cooper getting his mind back and Gordon Cole telling him about a strange murder in the town of Twin Peaks? 

And if that's the case, I hope the ratings are good enough for this season. I've heard a lot of mixed things. It performed very poorly on Showtime broadcasts, but there's been talk that it's the best ratings they have ever had on their streaming service. 

On the otherhand, there's something sort of perfectly Twin Peaks if the last episode ends with a huge cliffhanger and it gets canceled yet again.

2 hours ago, TheArm said:

Does anyone know why douggie/coop started giving Sinclair a back massage. Originally I thought coop was gonna pick the dandruff off of his suit jacket but then he started rubbing his shoulders and I was lost. Still hilarious though. 

I'm pretty sure you hear the chime/music that has previously heralded the Black Lodge guiding Dougie as he walked up to the back of Anthony. 

12 hours ago, MarkHoog said:

I just posted a slowed down version of that conga line stuff, a couple of posts above. It kinda sounds like the brushes from The Bookhouse Boys from the Original Soundtrack, with some strangely cut piano stuff over it.

Thanks for posting that.  I really loved that weird music at the beginning and it's cool to hear it that way too.

(I also noticed re-watching that scene that one of the presents--the diamond cuff links--comes in a box way too big for them -- like the life-saving cherry pie did)

10 hours ago, Gregalor said:

That took place in Montana, right? I guess when Richard Horne skips town, he really skips town.

I don't remember if the text gave a specific about where "the farm" was (I just remember Montana).  But TP is in the north eastern corner of Washington, walking distance to the Utah state line.  It's only a 3 hour drive from Spokane to Missoula, MT. 

"Do you need any money?" guy is a memorable symbol of the blandness of so many willing servants of evil.

23 minutes ago, JPL said:

"Do you need any money?" guy is a memorable symbol of the blandness of so many willing servants of evil.

We need to get "Do you need any money" guy and "Got a light" guy in a room together.

13 minutes ago, Gregalor said:

We need to get "Do you need any money" guy and "Got a light" guy in a room together.

One... and... the... same.

I think he was just kind of poking at the dandruff and it was interpreted as some kind of knowing back massage.

Finally, a performance worthy of the Roadhouse! Fantastic.

The timeline weirdness was definitely quite clear in this episode: Dougie's night vs. playing with son, Bobby's day, Sarah Palmer buying Smirnoff but drinking Vodka brand vodka (which, I admit, could be explained any number of ways*). At first I was almost certain that those were just mistakes caused by the way the show was shot and cut, but on the other hand they seem quite crude. Even if this was intentional, it is hard to know if the scenes are just shown in the wrong order, or if there is really some funny stuff going, as with e.g. the looping video and whatever Sonny Jim has going on in some of the scenes. We'll see, hopefully.

Audrey's scenes definitely have a nightmarish quality.

I also totally didn't realize that they were talking about that kind of gym set earlier.

* E.g., by her leaving her groceries at the store. Whoops.

For me, this episode was the biggest love letter that could have been written to the original series. I screamed my head off when the announcer introduced James in the Roadhouse and I thought using the original recording of it was even more hilarious here than it was 25+ years ago. Jacoby and Nadine reminiscing over a moment shared with a dropped potato in front of the spray painted shovel and silent drapes was a lovely touch. It's nice that Norma has success with the Double R being a franchise, but I'm kind of disappointed about it. They're ruining the pies at the other branches, I can just feel it. And I don't like the smarmy business guy she's with, either. 

Sarah Palmer watching a looped boxing match really got me thinking. It was in black & white and the footage seemed old regardless...could that be one of Bushnell's matches?? There were no names mentioned in the audio loop, but judging by Bushnell's office poster, I would think he was boxing in the same era that footage was shot. 

A lot of people are saying the "double header in Vegas" is Janey-E and Sonny Jim, but what if it's really the Mitchum Brothers? I feel like they would have more reason to be killed than the Jones family since the Mitchums are actively doing more things, but who knows. 

Also, weird thing, what was Ed burning while having his DR2GO cup of soup? My friend thought it could be a cracker, but it looked more like a square of paper to me...not sure if it's really important. Maybe this is the successor to the Mitchum Brothers' "is it a bandaid?" dispute. 

2 hours ago, Bjorn said:

I don't remember if the text gave a specific about where "the farm" was (I just remember Montana).  But TP is in the north eastern corner of Washington, walking distance to the Utah state line.  It's only a 3 hour drive from Spokane to Missoula, MT. 

Missoula aka Maddy's hometown

Yeah I loved how into the car she was after the multiple comments about Dougies previous "terrible car." (not in a shallow way, maybe she's just into cars lol)

When Janey-E realized she got a new car, her face reminded me of the guy enjoying green tea latte.

1 hour ago, MissPrim said:

Also, weird thing, what was Ed burning while having his DR2GO cup of soup? My friend thought it could be a cracker, but it looked more like a square of paper to me...not sure if it's really important.

At first I thought it was a flap from the matchbook but it's a square of paper that's notably in the frame from the first shot of the bear.

This is wild speculation, but was there ever a note from Norma to Ed in the original run? Could it be that? Could he be giving up on Love (not profitable!) at the same time as his weird reflection glitch?

I imagine it's just a passing-the-time signifier but this popped in my head upon rewatching the scene.

Could also just be a receipt a customer didn't want...

Oh by the way, I am a little confused about the green ring. Since when are there multiple ones? I must have missed that info, or completely misinterpreted it from the start.

I only count two for now. Dougie and Ray each had one.

5 minutes ago, Marius said:

Oh by the way, I am a little confused about the green ring. Since when are there multiple ones? I must have missed that info, or completely misinterpreted it from the start.

I only count two for now. Dougie and Ray each had one.

Ray says a guard he'd never seen before gave it to him, could that have been after Dougie 'returned' it to the lodge?

11 minutes ago, marblize said:

Ray says a guard he'd never seen before gave it to him, could that have been after Dougie 'returned' it to the lodge?

Intersting, that makes sense.

Oh man, just imagine...

BadCoop: What did the guard look like?

Ray: It was a brain on a tree in a guard uniform.

Big Ed lighting the paper gave me a ton of anxiety, because I was afraid that he was going to set the Gas Farm on fire and burn it down while he sat in the middle drinking his RR soup, even though that doesn't really feel like his character. 

24 minutes ago, marblize said:

At first I thought it was a flap from the matchbook but it's a square of paper that's notably in the frame from the first shot of the bear.

This is wild speculation, but was there ever a note from Norma to Ed in the original run? Could it be that? Could he be giving up on Love (not profitable!) at the same time as his weird reflection glitch?

I also thought it could be a matchbook flap. I'm pretty sure I remember Norma slipping Ed a note on a napkin that said something like "meet me at 7:30" or "we need to talk," but I can't remember when it was. I doubt it was something as small as that square of paper he was burning, I was almost positive he was melting his fingers holding it like that. I legit yelled "JUST DROP IT IN THE SOUP" haha!

Loved it! Think the crying girl watching James was another nod to Donna (along with brunette backing singers)- reminded me straight away of Donna crying with James during the roadhouse scene in s2 as Maddie is being murdered.

3 minutes ago, prangman said:

Loved it! Think the crying girl watching James was another nod to Donna (along with brunette backing singers)- reminded me straight away of Donna crying with James during the roadhouse scene in s2 as Maddie is being murdered.

I got those vibes too. 

She's also the girl James stares at in episode two. Shelly asks her if James has a thing for her, before clarifying for a naysayer that he's cool.