Cordeos

E3 2017

9 hours ago, Bjorn said:

So pc gamers are confirmed garbage. 

This has been known for ages.

On 2017-06-18 at 10:41 PM, Henke said:

About BG&E2, apparently it's at "day zero of development" which means pretty much none of it exists outside of Ancel's head at the moment. Between the last decade of nothing but cgi-trailers and concept-art, and Ancel's other in-development game "Wild" seemingly having gone up in smoke, I'm inclined to share Nappi's pessimism. I'll believe this thing might actually come out when we start seeing some gameplay footage.

I wouldn't say none of it but cgi-trailers and concept-art.They showed a tech/engine demo thingy:

23 hours ago, BusbyBerkeley said:

The original BG&E is definitely a 7/10 game. I honestly don't know why people are so excited for the new one, especially after just a cg trailer. Didn't they put out one of those a few years ago anyway?

The original BG&E is one of only a handful of games I've played through entirely multiple times.  The characters and world are some of the most charming ever made.  I'm a sucker for most games with photography as a mechanic.  I love that thematically you're an underground journalist trying to topple a government through exposure rather than being a super soldier. 

The actual melee combat is pretty meh, sure.  But then, there's a bunch more to do in the game than whack monsters with a stick. 

I can see where 7/10 comes from, especially if the game doesn't click for you, or you look at it from a modern day perspective. This is really a case of the whole being better than the sum of its parts. BG&E was charming and surprising and I loved playing it. It's one of the few 'Zelda clones' that really shone on its own.

" And this character feels that this world, in a way, is maybe a bit hopeless. Because nobody has any job. So sure we have universal income, which is great, but at the same time maybe the social ladder is completely broken now. There's no way to really grow up. And maybe the families that were wealthy before are still wealthy, and there is no way to have redistribution because it's completely static now. It's something I'm trying to explore. "

As opposed to the present day where this never happens.

The Last Night is a really good illustration of the general phenomenon that made cyberpunk so interesting in the first place, which is that world design encodes a lot of ideology. The difference is that The Last Night seems like it has a very anti-punk ideology behind it, whereas of course cybepunk got its name from being punk (unlike every other *punk thing).

Man, I just saw somewhere that The Last Night made a strong showing on E3 (this is how behind I am with gaming news) and immediately remembered this whole issue that the developer was slightly associated with gamergaters and/or partially sharing similar views... I'm blocked from his Twitter for arguing back then, but I looked at it anonymously and he still seems to have pretty weird preconceptions like "Bullying doesn't really exist in Europe like in the US, right?" (as a response he got tens of people saying they were bullied in school in European countries), but seems to have taken a slightly better disposition than before. Anyway, I think I'll be willing to look past all this stuff if the game turns out to be really good, he seems to be an incredibly talented guy in the digital visual arts department, if somewhat naive politically.

And now I just looked back a few posts and saw Ben link to an interview with him, and reading it it seems that he still has mostly the same confusion, wanting to be apolitical, but then making a game which sounds quite political and ending up sharing his political views in interviews probably more than most other developers do. And he still seems to believe that gamergate was about journalistic integrity. I don't know, I have my doubts that this person can make a game that explores the future in an interesting way, but it could still turn out just worth it visually.

[Edit] wow I now went to the beginning of this thread and saw that this controversy around the game appeared at around E3 time also and IT forum thread about this was actually linked to.

On a lighter note, I watched a few of the E3 trailers now and I have mixed feelings about BG&E 2 (but still hopeful), Far Cry 5 (skipped 4, but this one seems interesting). The biker zombie game seems interesting, but on the other hand it seemed to be a mix of so many things taken from other modern games rather than something standing on it's own merits...