Sign in to follow this  
Henke

[Released] A Good One

Full version released!

https://henke.itch.io/a-good-one

--------BETA POST--------

Beta version released, here's the Jam page. :)

Please give it a go, and send me feedback on how you found it. Any bug reports, complaints, suggestions, or effusive praise is welcome.

Big thanks to Knight for coming through on the voiceacting.

FULL VERSION COMING OUT IN TIME FOR CHRISTMAS! STAY TUNED!

--------ORIGINAL POST--------

AGO_concept_800px.jpg

Based on episodetitle 274.

Description:

3D open-world cross country skiing game.

JOB OPENINGS:

-Sound effects

-Music

(send me a PM if you're interested in helping out)

There had better be a yeti dude that you can only escape by pressing a key that makes you go faster that 90% of the population doesn't know exists. :D

I know I haven't posted much, but rest assured progress has been made every day of this jam. So far I've modelled and animated my player character, and set up the controls and physics for controlling him. A lot of time has been spent finetuning the physics of the character, and the particle systems, and now I've got this thing playing and feeling pretty much like I imagined it.

Next up: creating the gameworld. Again, if anyone is interested in helping out, check the Jobs listing in the first post. I know I kinda shot myself in the foot by not asking for help before the jam started, but I was a bit uncertain I'd be able to pull off my part in this, so I didn't go all-in. :|

Woah that looks really robust already! I love skiing games for some reason, but they never let you do this, just haul ass cross-country or off a mountain for 15 minutes or something. Could be a nice zen experience with the right music.

Heh, a lot of demand for a yeti. Maybe! We'll see.

The game is set in 19th century America though, so it'd have to be a Sasquatch.

Welp, I don't suppose I'll be able to rustle up any voiceactors in the remaining time, but this intro narration has to get done one way or another, so I broke out the recording equipment (Voice Recorder app on Samsung Galaxy phone) and did it myself. Never done any voiceacting before, but with a good bit of editing and a somber guitarloop underneath it sounds almost passable!

Not sure. What do you guys think? (Don't hold back, I have no illusions about being cut out for this kinda stuff.)

I'm not gonna be able to get this finished by tomorrow. Gonna need to give it another week or two.

Character is mostly done, now including sounds as well.

Gameworld: 25% done

Missions: 0%

Currently working on menus and intro.

Will at least try to have an Open Beta available by the end of tomorrow.

edit: PAUSE FUNCTION WORKS! I'M GETTIN THERE!

IT'S DONE!

Well ok, it's not quite done. But it's done enough that I can have people play it. There's a good bit of world built already to ski around in, but don't go expecting any Christmas Miracles. Those will appear first in the final version.

This is really nice already, even without the Christmas miracles [edit: and the sasquatch]! The opening is lovely, and it all sounds, looks and feels great. I enjoyed just finding the edges of the world, pushing up and down slopes. Looking forward to the final version!

The skiing mechanics in this do feel really good already, though I wasn't able to get off the ground in spite of really trying to, having some hills you make a little jump off of would cool.  I definitely agree with the Journey on skis comment.

The skiing feels really good. I like that the camera trails behind, though I wish it didn't trail behind quite so far, as it diminishes my sense of speed. Very cool intro too.

Man, that intro. Good. If this was to be a full game I'd get way into it. I love the chill skiing, feels really good, and the concept is pretty great. Looking forward to seeing some Christmas magic.

It reminds me a little of https://primaerfunktion.itch.io/whiteout, also a good wintery game. Different tone, but same sort of boundless snowy exploration.

Thanks folks!

Development is still on-going.

Latest developments:

-completed building gameworld.

-rewrote tree-spawning script so it places trees in clusters for a slightly more realistic feel.

v0.4 released, changelog:

-whole gameworld now created.
-made player's leaning-behviour on slopes better. Or possibly worse.
-increase to player's "hunkering down" speed.
-new intro narration recorded.
-improvements to sounds.

Still to do:

-Christmas magic.

-possibly give the player character a scarf.

This really put me in the Christmas spirit :) It has a great atmosphere and the skiing is really fun.

I think I hit a bug with the ice: When you go onto it your controls are locked; I was hunkered down at the time so I eventually lost momentum and came to a stop.

I love this! I'd play the shit out of an open-world cross-country skiing simulation. It looks great, it's super relaxing and fun. I'm looking forward to what you're still planning to add!

(also I managed to jump over some mountains I was not supposed to. Oops.)

goodone.png

OK.

Status update.

-Missions and Inventory system implemented.

-First person mode added.

-Leaning-on-hills behaviour revamped for like the 4th time. It's pretty good now! Not perfect, but PRETTY GOOD!

-Ending made.

It is complete!

Of course once it was complete a host of new bugs reared their ugly head. Such as, running the game on other graphics setting besides the default I discovered that a bunch of the physics code is tied to framerate, causing wildly different physics on lower graphics settings! EGADS! Managed to fix that, but then the menu broke instead. Fixed that too. Curious about what else has become broken instead. Will attempt a full playthrough tomorrow evening, and if no other issues show up, I'll whip up a trailer, a new itch.io page, and upload the full version tomorrow night.

edit: Mission interaction screen. That's what's broken now. If I manage to get this damn thing out by Christmas, that will be the greatest miracle of all.

Full version released!

Got all the bugs fixed and even managed to improve game performance quite a bit! Still, if anyone finds any bugs, let me know.

Pullin' sweet donuts on the slopes...

That's the tagline I've been looking for. :tup: