Jake

True Detective Weekly - Welcome!

Hey all, we're starting a new podcast centered around the upcoming second season of HBO's True Detective. We're calling it True Detective Weekly. There is a tiny "introductions" episode available now, but the real podcast starts next week with a proper catch-up discussion as we prepare for the season two premiere next weekend.

Got things to talk about before then? Start here, and if you want to write in to the show, the email address is [email protected]!

Wow, this is cool. Is there going to be much discussion of the first season as well, at least in terms of the themes of the broader show, or is it more focused on reactions to and discussion about the new episodes as they air? I suppose I could just listen to the episode to find out...

Dunno if you're getting around to it, or if they don't work because it's only one episode so far, but the "subscribe to itunes" and "rss feed" buttons just redirect to the episode page, rather than doing as advertised.

At any rate, this is rad! Been looking forward to True Detective's new season for a while.

EDIT: Gorm:

And after Season 2 concludes, we’ll follow it up with a rewatch of Season 1.

Awesomer and awesomer.

This is fantastic. Looking forward to watching along with you guys.

Dunno if you're getting around to it, or if they don't work because it's only one episode so far, but the "subscribe to itunes" and "rss feed" buttons just redirect to the episode page, rather than doing as advertised.

At any rate, this is rad! Been looking forward to True Detective's new season for a while.

EDIT: Gorm:

Awesomer and awesomer.

The RSS link should now work. iTunes will have to wait until iTunes approves our feed!

What a pleasant surprise. Really looking forward to the podcast!

The RSS link should now work. iTunes will have to wait until iTunes approves our feed!

This has probably been discussed before with every new podcast, but how do these things work with Pocket Casts? Do you have to submit the feed there as well?

This has probably been discussed before with every new podcast, but how do these things work with Pocket Casts? Do you have to submit the feed there as well?

In Pocket Casts, if you can't find it with with a normal search then you can enter the exact RSS feed link in the search box and add it that way. (I believe this is how new shows actually appear on pocket casts's search page too)

That shouldn't be a problem now though, cause I added the RSS to Pocket Casts.

I don't have much to say other than I think it's cool that the podcast name sounds like a pulp fiction periodical.

This sounds like a wonderful idea! I just convinced a few friends who missed Season 1 to get into it before Season 2. Looking forward to watching this season with the Thumbs as well. 

Although I don't have any interest in watching season 2 of this show, a rewatch of the 1st season sounds fun, so I'm looking forward to that!

What a pleasant surprise. Really looking forward to the podcast!

I think most other podcast apps end up crawling the iTunes directory for search. So once we're up on iTunes, we should effectively be on the other ones soon enough.

Nice!! Will fill the hole left in my life by the loss of the Twin Peaks Rewatch.

Really looking forward to season 2 of True Detective, but I am nervous about it.  I read a bunch of the short stories and the novel that Nic Pizzolatto wrote and he really tends to tell the same story over and over again. Troubled rugged protagonist tries to fill the hole left by absent family member. True Detective is definitely the best iteration of that story, but after reading a bunch of Pizzolatto, I really don't have a high opinion of him as a writer.  

Season One had some masterful directing too, but that director won't be back for season 2.

Oh well, whatever happens in season 2 won't affect how much I enjoyed the first.

Whooo! I hadn't realised True Detective started this week. Though I'm still going through Twin Peaks and need to get on the Mad Men podcast.

I'm so excited. I had no idea you guys were going to do this and now this gives me extra incentive to watch (but I was going to do that anyways.) 

I was on the fence about watching Season 2 since I left Season 1 with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth but honestly, I am excited to see what direction they take this season in. 

I never watched season 1, but was always kind of interested in it. Would watching the first season before the second be a good idea? I've been thinking about it anyway, but this might give me that push to actually catch up!

I never watched season 1, but was always kind of interested in it. Would watching the first season before the second be a good idea? I've been thinking about it anyway, but this might give me that push to actually catch up!

It shouldn't matter storywise. At this point we don't even know if the seasons will happen in the same universe.

Cool. Looking forward to this. Season 1 was alright!

Now I don't know whether to rewatch the first series now or wait and watch along...

Wow great news! I hadn't realised that season 2 was imminent either, so thanks for the reminder.

Tangent: now that all the Idle Thumbs have abandoned making games and whatnot, and are full time TV-show podcasters (/joking), I'd love to have a thumbs-crewed podcast following AMC's "Halt and Catch Fire" (which I also did not realise that the second season had already commenced), and maybe even a "Rick and Morty" podcast?

Also: forget everything else I just wrote, WHERE IS THE FARSCAPE REWATCH PODCAST????

I really have no interest watching TD S2, but I am interested in what y'all think about it, especially season 1.

I also recommend checking out these casts on TD:

http://www.factualopinion.com/the_factual_opinion/2014/03/american-muscle.html (0:00:00 - 0:23:55)

http://www.factualopinion.com/the_factual_opinion/2014/01/new-movie-cast.html (0:17:00 - 0:30:50)

This is great news for me as I really enjoyed the Twin Peaks Rewatch podcast.

And even if I don't have enormously high hopes for this season of True Detective I heard Chris saying you will be doing a Rewatch of the first season, will love to hear what you guys have to say about it.

Nice!! Will fill the hole left in my life by the loss of the Twin Peaks Rewatch.

Really looking forward to season 2 of True Detective, but I am nervous about it.  I read a bunch of the short stories and the novel that Nic Pizzolatto wrote and he really tends to tell the same story over and over again. Troubled rugged protagonist tries to fill the hole left by absent family member. True Detective is definitely the best iteration of that story, but after reading a bunch of Pizzolatto, I really don't have a high opinion of him as a writer.  

Season One had some masterful directing too, but that director won't be back for season 2.

Oh well, whatever happens in season 2 won't affect how much I enjoyed the first.

This is interesting. Season 1 confused me a bit. About halfway through I felt like it was digging really deep, getting really raw with its depiction of Cohle's and Hart's dark side. And then the last 2 episodes seemed to go in a really different direction. It left me wondering how much of that was the director digging into the subtext with the actors vs. what Pizzolatto intended (especially because when I saw his interviews, I got a very different, generally more straightforward vibe from what the show had given me). Seeing a Fukunaga-less (indeed a single director-less) season 2 will probably clarify all of that somewhat.

Nice!  I'll have to have a listen to this. 

A perusal of online review sites conveys a slew of negative press for the second season but I am absolutely loving it so far.  I think it's as good as the first season and hopefully won't involve a damp squib ending like the first either. 

I don't understand why other viewers are being so critical.