Thrik

Making Music. Tunes by Idle Thumbsters

Thumbsters? Thumbers Thumbos? What is the correct parlance?

Anyway, it recently became apparent that a few of us on here have embarked upon a journey to create lovely music and our discussion of this has been getting a bit lost in the 'Life' and 'Plug your shit' threads. I personally am a complete novice after starting to do composition and production for the first time this year, and I think at least one other person here is similarly new to the process. So don't expect pro-level stuff from me, at least! Hopefully we can all learn from each other.

Sharing and getting feedback is a valuable tool for becoming better. So this thread is for anyone on Idle Thumbs creating music to show what they've been working on. I'll also keep this opening post updated with portfolio, SoundCloud, etc pages if people let me know that they'd like them to be added (I'll probably just include SoundCloud ones as I spot them).

Ozzie: SoundCloud

Patrick R: Bandcamp

Problem Machine: SoundCloud

Thrik: SoundCloud

So, just to do a quick catch-up of what I've put together during the last few months. There's been no real pattern to the kind of stuff that I've been making aside from the fact that I've had imaginary levels of games in mind when creating them. I've pretty much just been going in different directions in an effort to figure out some kind of style for myself, and also to work out how the production tools work — each time I learn some vastly more efficient way of doing certain things.

Winter Heights: Atmospheric and ambient music for exploring some snowy environment. Going off the plays it seems to be my most-liked so far.

Rising Joy: I had something like LittleBigPlanet in mind here, exploring some wonderful new level or something.

Heavenly Showdown: My first stab at guitars, tried to make it a bit boss music-like.

And now...

My new track that I just uploaded is Ghostly Pursuit. As the name implies, it's meant to be music accompanying a chase sequence involving some ghoulish bastard.

From 2007 to 2009 I did the local DIY folk scene, played house shows different places in Illinois, stuff like that. It was very lo-fi folk punk sort of stuff, all recorded with my laptop's mic, one take, no multi-tracking.

Not much of that stuff remains online, but I am now (slowly) working on a new album that will actually be produced and have other musicians, and doing a development blog for it. Basically the goal is I'm going to upload every demo, write blog posts recording my progress, my songwriting sessions, basically every thought I have. I've already got a dozen or so demos for songs that will become the album up right now.

I also did electronic music during that time, and released two albums that are up on bandcamp. A lot of my first album, Disorient, started by me teaching myself how to use Fruity Loops, experimenting mostly with sampling. That kind of ended up being my bread and butter, so both albums are mostly sample-based, from mash-ups to experimental percussive glitch stuff. It's that stuff I'm most proud of because I still like how it sounds and have never heard anything quite like it. It's also extremely noisy and off-putting, so I've never really met anyone else who likes it. But I do.

I want to get back into it but the new version of Fruity Loops is arranged way different and I find it impossible to work with, so I'm looking for ways to get a copy of older versions I used to work with.

So, just to do a quick catch-up of what I've put together during the last few months. There's been no real pattern to the kind of stuff that I've been making aside from the fact that I've had imaginary levels of games in mind when creating them. I've pretty much just been going in different directions in an effort to figure out some kind of style for myself, and also to work out how the production tools work — each time I learn some vastly more efficient way of doing certain things.

Winter Heights: Atmospheric and ambient music for exploring some snowy environment. Going off the plays it seems to be my most-liked so far.

Rising Joy: I had something like LittleBigPlanet in mind here, exploring some wonderful new level or something.

Heavenly Showdown: My first stab at guitars, tried to make it a bit boss music-like.

And now...

My new track that I just uploaded is Ghostly Pursuit. As the name implies, it's meant to be music accompanying a chase sequence involving some ghoulish bastard.

For your instruments, do you use stock plug-ins and sound packs that came with your software/keyboard or do you modify them?

I'll have a listen to your stuff when I can! :tup: Are you OK with me adding your BandCamp links to the opening post?

For instruments, my set-up is an M-Audio Oxygen 49 keyboard which has no sounds of its own. Pretty much everything is played using that, and then I clean up certain things. This generally comes down to synths being tightly sequenced, and natural-sounding instruments retaining my hand-played imperfections in terms of velocity and timing.

I use it with Logic Pro X, which is Apple's take on something like Pro Tools and has quite a good selection of built-in samples. Everything in the tracks I did has been using what came with the software, for now working with that limitation is allowing me to focus on the more creative and technical side of things which is already hard enough as a newbie!

I'll have a listen to your stuff when I can! :tup: Are you OK with me adding your BandCamp links to the opening post?

For instruments, my set-up is an M-Audio Oxygen 49 keyboard which has no sounds of its own. Pretty much everything is played using that, and then I clean up certain things. This generally comes down to synths being tightly sequenced, and natural-sounding instruments retaining my hand-played imperfections in terms of velocity and timing.

I use it with Logic Pro X, which is Apple's take on something like Pro Tools and has quite a good selection of built-in samples. Everything in the tracks I did has been using what came with the software, for now working with that limitation is allowing me to focus on the more creative and technical side of things which is already hard enough as a newbie!

Sure, you can add my bandcamp page!

Something you might want to do is start playing around with is seeing how much you can monkey with the samples and find new sounds. I don't know a ton about music theory, so I can't tell you how much you have to learn on that side, but an easy way to make your stuff sound more interesting is to use as few preset sounds that come with the software as possible. Especially with drums, stock sounds stick out like sore thumbs, like hearing the Wilhelm scream. Even if you just change the pitch of a snare a little bit it can help a lot.

I think I'll definitely start doing that soon, drums in particular are an area I haven't spent much time with because I can see me spending almost endless amounts of time messing around with them and I'd probably never get anything done at this point if I didn't just go with relatively straightforward loops. But now that I'm getting faster at doing all of the other instrumentation (it more comes down to creativity than battling with tools now), there's definitely more time for working on the percussion.

Another thing I want to improve is making my music less formulaic. Right now it's mostly a case of coming up with some bass line, chords, and notes I'm happy with and then doing a few variations on it. Obviously that's a long way short of even a traditional song with choruses, and even more so of an action-following soundtrack. Maybe creating something to some actual footage would be a nice thing to try, even if it's just some random gameplay.

I've been making musics off and on for like 15 years now, starting with general midi stuff and progressing to Reason. I'd like to explore more stuff with originally recorded samples/performances and lyrics sometime, but I haven't yet really figured out the correct combination of inspiration and pragmatic approach to actually integrate that into my workflow.

Most of my more recent/presentable stuff is represented on that soundcloud page linked in the first post. I also spent a few months last year putting together an album, which I think is mostly pretty good, and is up at Bandcamp: Songs of the Uncanny Valley

This year I'm trying to make a habit of writing at least one track a month, with the end result of having another album's worth of tracks by the end of the year. Here's what I've done so far:

Please Don't Make Me Leave

The Past is a Ghost and the Future is a Monster

Where I Am Meant To Go

Heh, reminds me a lot of this:

Would definitely, as mentioned above, recommend trying to get away from the pre-baked instruments, since they often sound rather trite. I dunno what your particular program has in terms of parameters to tweak, but even just downloading free samples online can take you a long way towards developing a more distinct sound.

Another thing I want to improve is making my music less formulaic. Right now it's mostly a case of coming up with some bass line, chords, and notes I'm happy with and then doing a few variations on it. Obviously that's a long way short of even a traditional song with choruses, and even more so of an action-following soundtrack. Maybe creating something to some actual footage would be a nice thing to try, even if it's just some random gameplay.

I think this is something that one struggles with at all levels of skill. It's constantly a balance between trying to make something that the listener finds approachable and can understand and appreciate and making something that is interesting and avoids cliches, and it's never a trivial challenge. I'd say that any time you come up with an idea like that, for a challenge or experiment, follow that and see where it takes you. It's the best way to learn!

Regarding music theory stuff, I've seen this site linked before and it may be a good starting point. I took classes for music theory back in city college, so I haven't felt the need to go through it myself yet, but my education wasn't super complete and I'm sure there's lots of stuff I've forgotten or didn't get a chance to learn, so I've been meaning to look at it myself. In the meanwhile, maybe some of y'all will find it useful (may want to add a link to it in the first post): Dave Conservatoire

Patrick R, I like your sample-based stuff. It's neat. Also your album art rules.

I haven't done much lately, but I keep meaning to get back on that music horse. Here's a pile of crap: https://soundcloud.com/eotf-seork

I mostly end up with short sketches, because I'll find a loop I like, and then I stop when it gets boring. One fun thing was submitting stuff to Overclocked Remix back in the day. My contributions sound pretty horrible to me now, but it was a cool and very welcoming community thing. I should do more video game stuff. http://ocremix.org/artist/4300/mr-44

God damn it, I need to twiddle some knobs. Maybe this weekend!

Ay, ya'll. I post on Soundcloud, though I use it more as a place for sketches with only a few final versions of stuff. The latest thing I've done is technically a 30s clip of a calypso sample I've been messing around with on my MPD26. I've also been using Paul's Extreme Sound Stretch. I compose a little thing and then put it into the software and come up with some really neat stuff. Requires a bit of processing in Ableton to give it life, but I like it. I think my favorite tune to come out of it was a thing I made for Stuart's game- a track called Homeward.

Thrik, I really enjoyed your Rising Joy track, particularly the swirling that comes in around the 16s mark.

Patrick, you've got some good mash-ups there. ELO-40 is a jam.

Have any of you seen this book that the people who make Abelton put out?

https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/making-music-book-of-creative-strategies/

I'd be curious what exactly is in it, it seems like such a weird thing.

Glanced at the various chapters they provided and it reads like someone took advice off of Reddit and formatted it into a book you'd find in Ikea? If that's harsh, I don't mean it to be, but the format of solution/problem feels like it's a Buzzfeed article or something.

I made this track today and it was cathartic. I really like it, I'll probably put it into a game.

I made this track today and it was cathartic. I really like it, I'll probably put it into a game.

It's neat! Like the arrhythmic, Sega Genesis feel.

Does anyone here have any experience recording vocals?

I've got a microphone and some recording software, but I'm at a bit of a loss with regards to actually setting things up "correctly". 

The small tests I've run so far always end up with my vocal recordings peaking like crazy as soon as I put any force behind my voice.

Does anyone here have any experience recording vocals?

I've got a microphone and some recording software, but I'm at a bit of a loss with regards to actually setting things up "correctly". 

The small tests I've run so far always end up with my vocal recordings peaking like crazy as soon as I put any force behind my voice.

This stuff may depend on the microphone you're using, but most likely you can fix this by going into your OS audio settings and lowering the capture volume for your microphone. You should be able to speak into the front at a normal or slightly higher than normal volume without peaking. A compressor can alleviate some of this after recording but if you compress anything too much itll start sounding really crunchy. Better to have a nice quality recording already before you go into the compressor.

If you don't happen to have a pop filter, you may get a lot of wind from p sounds. I'd say this is a luxury however, and its not essential to go buy one if you don't have one (you can also DIY one). It goes without saying that you should record in a fairly quiet space.

Mixing vocals is, very broadly speaking, compression and EQ. there's plenty of guides for mixing vocals but in any case you'll want to experiment to find what sounds good for the voice you're working with. It's a super powerful tool, and if the vocals are intended to be on top of some loud instrument or a lot of percussion, you can even make a shitty walmart mic sound inconspicuously decent with good mixing.

Hey! I mostly post about Beacon on here (I do music for the game as well), but I also have my own personal Soundcloud, which is mainly 80s retro, synthwave/electro type stuff:

https://soundcloud.com/axionmusic

There's a bunch of other stuff on there as well, some tracks I made for game jams, or remixes of all varieties!

I recently took a lot of my Synthwave tracks down because I got into the habit of posting too many samples or unmixed tracks, where in reality, I want to be posting finished songs. Hopefully I'll be updating the page with lots of new tunes soon!

The day after tomorrow I'll perform before an audience a somewhat distinct take on "Tired of You" by the Foo Fighters. So I've practised it a lot. I made some recordings of it, too, and I like the latest one. It's just me in my room with my voice and my hands dancing on the keys of my e-piano. I'm curious to know what you think of it. :)

[link deleted]

I deleted the recording I linked to previously, I think its beginning may have been too rough to be encouraging people to listen all the way through. Sometimes you share a creation immediately after you created it and then regret that decision a while later when your critical faculties have properly kicked in.

But it has been a few days now since I performed the song on stage and I still like the recording of it, so...here it is:

So I've been telling a bunch of people in physical space that I'm going to make music for a while and I eagerly waited to buy Music Creator 7 from the steam-sale. I spent the day trying to figure out the basic navigation of making a simple midi song in the fairly complex mess that is the newest prosumer-level iteration of Cakewalk

The included synths are pretty great. 

I just spent the last two hours or so making this. It's enough to get me thinking about what I'm going to do with all the 15 second loopable songs. I might put them into a Unity jukebox of some sort. It doesn't matter too much. Just picking synths and moving notes around on the staff and changing pans and volume-velocities to taste is a pleasant way to spend the evening.