Sign in to follow this  
tegan

Green Thumbs: Talkin' About Gardening

Anyone here keep any plants? I've been getting really into buying and caring for houseplants lately for some reason. Right now I have...

yQq9xMP.jpg

Mass Cane (top left): There use to be a smaller one in there too. This is my oldest plant, I got it when I lived back in Miramichi. It suffered greatly when I lived in a tiny apartment with no light, but I moved up to this nice well-lit space, started watering the hell out of it, and just recently repotted it; and now it's really sprung back to life. It only had about five leaves by the time I brought it up here, so I'd call that a huge turnaround. I'd like to get another large plant like this.

Dwarf Umbrella Plant (top right): I like the look of this plant even if I don't know much about it. I keep it next to my drawing space. Hopefully I'm not neglecting it.

Money Tree (bottom left): these can get to be pretty big, but mine's small. I hope those trunks don't come too unbraided as it grows.

Venus Flytrap (bottom right): I just got this one. It's teeny tiny and holy crap are these things delicate. I didn't realize just how fragile they were when I bought it. They can only live in very specific nutrient-poor soil. You can't fertilize them and you need to use distilled water or else they'll absorb too much garbage and die. I noticed earlier today that mine had wilted and thought that I had accidentally killed it, but it sprang right back up wihin a half-hour or so after I watered it and even caught some of the fruit flies that have been bothering me. I'm going to try to pick up some freeze-dried bloodworms for it at a pet store tomorrow.

:tup:  :tup:  :tup:  <- green thumbs

I also have a plant that has suffered greatly.

It's the most twisted, skinny palm tree I've ever seen but it's been with me for so long now that I'll keep it until it either dies or someone forces me to throw it out :P

I'll see if I can get a photo of the poor thing up here.

I totally approve of this thread title  :tup:  :tup:  :tup:

The only plant I have in my house is some green onions that I've been continually growing and using out of a cup on a window sill.

TFXCOJL.jpg

New, mysterious plant shows up out of nowhere two weeks before Halloween. Yeah, this will end well.

Oh, man I have a whole backyard now that I bought a house! It's full of things already planted there. Pear trees, various berry bushes and shit! I'll post some pics later. :o

I don't even know how many plants we have in our house. 20? 30? Maybe more? My wife is a crazy plant/gardener person. I know next to nothing about plants. If anyone has any questions about plants, she can probably answer them.

Oh, man I have a whole backyard now that I bought a house! It's full of things already planted there. Pear trees, various berry bushes and shit! I'll post some pics later. :o

Please send me fruit! I don't give a shit about customs!

The only plant I have in my house is some green onions that I've been continually growing and using out of a cup on a window sill.

I must be doing something wrong, nothing resprouted on mine and just left a gross film and smell

I must be doing something wrong, nothing resprouted on mine and just left a gross film and smell

Yeah, that definitely may happen. You should use scraps with a fair amount of the stalk intact (a good two inches, plus or minus) and you need to change the water every other day.

ah, i probably chopped it too low to the bulb then.

i'll experiment again & work on water changes.  frequently i have to put plants out of normal reach due to some extremely active cats