Sign in to follow this  
GraysonEvans

What do you think made you who you are today?

What is the one thing that you think molded you into the person you are now?

I grew up with a single mom and a tough welsh grandmother who constantly drilled into me that everyone is a person and deserves respect.

My mom also played me an album every night and on long road trips called "Free to be you and me" from 1974 which included such classes 

and 

it also opened with

Anyways I think these things made me who I am today.

Either mental illness or the circumstances of my birth.

Unfortunately most of the parts of my personality built up over time, with lots of little moments. If I had to pick the one thing that had the most influence, it would be one of those two.

Either mental illness or the circumstances of my birth.

Unfortunately most of the parts of my personality built up over time, with lots of little moments. If I had to pick the one thing that had the most influence, it would be one of those two.

I hadn't considered the true origin of personality until your post and I realizing how reductive this whole thing was.

Parent, friends, family, teachers, challenges, and a fair does of gamma radiation.

Mental illness, random chance, middle-class Catholic family, white skin, a suicide attempt and AFI's list of the 100 Funniest Movies.

From the stories I've heard my mother tell of how I was as a young child, starting school seems to have had a profound effect on my behaviour and thoughts.

According to her I was always very talkative and curious about other people, approaching pretty much anyone I saw to ask them questions. She always mentions that that changed once I started in pre-school. I think starting there introduced me to shame in a way I had never experienced it before. Whether it was the experience of having the whole class laugh at me for telling them what I had heard about the weather earlier that morning or the time an older kid jabbed me in the stomach with a floorball stick because he "hadn't said I could applaud him" after he had pulled of a juggling trick... I don't know.

Most probably these slightly larger events just piled up with smaller stuff over the years until it just developed into anxieties in my early to mid-teens. These led to my interest for video games (yay, escapism!) and eventually my job I guess. So yeah, school.

I still loved it though, especially high school and university. Besides all the learning it provided me with a framework that got me out of the house to meet other people, people who mostly were very pleasant and fun. 

Family, friends, school, media, books, internet and idle forums.

My dad died when I was 10 and the N64 I got the following birthday was my escape from that. As a further result of this, my teachers and my mum's coworkers (she was a social worker with AIDS patients. In the 90s, that means that her coworkers were nearly exclusively gay men) were my only male role models for the rest of my adolescence. I am now a school teacher who plays a bunch of video games and is incredibly liberal about sex/sexuality. Coincidence?

A bunch of things happened, but I enjoy that one specific moment lead to me doing an animation degree and learning how to draw.

Back in secondary school, we got an assignment about writing an article as if we were writing for a tabloid. One of my friends was asking about the assignment and what it entailed, he asked "So, we're supposed to be super biased?"

It struck me as an odd phrase and an odder 'power' for a superhero. So I then went and drew some dumb stickman comics featuring Super Biased Man that people liked. Followed up later by some dumb animated shorts in the same vein. I made other shorts too, but was frustrated with my general feeling that I was clearly an amateur at it but for reasons I didn't undertand. There was gaps in quality between my stuff and 'real' shorts that I could tell were there but not understand, so I went to study an animation degree where I was cured of the assumption that I innately couldn't draw.

I was tending towards creative work regardless of these exact events but I'm certain that those two words distinctly affected my path and how I decided to pursue creative endeavors.

Growing up gay in the south and all the terrible and wonderful things that go along with that. A lot of other things too, but that particular experience (group of experiences?) probably inform the way I think and act today the most.

Being wicked cooool and my love of pink-glazed donuts--I blame the Simpsons--from Dunkin' Donuts.

Also, neo-fascist folk and industrial music.

Not the originals but some later generation comics and two of the cartoons do still exist. Warning, they were made by me as a teenager, so clearly terrible.

Also not that much superheroics are involved.

Somehow I feel like you were channeling gamerghazi satire years before it was a twinkling in 4chan's eye. 

It's a deconstruction of privilege that parodies the logical conclusion of giving some unchecked power above others. Within the clearly laid out power structure everyone's powee dynamics are frequently the drivers behind their conflicts. It's easy to miss, because it all went over my head when I made it.

No, that was a 'huh, someone who's been shaped by neo-fascism', not a 'huh, never heard of neo-fascism'.

Given the general intellectual flavour of Idle Thumbs, I'd imagine you're probably not a neo-fascist at the moment, but still. Huh.