Thrik

Grim Fandango being remastered for PS4 and Vita

I wouldn't be surprised if GOG campaigned hard to get exclusivity, if only for a while. Also given GOG's MO it makes sense it'll be the place where people will be the most hyped for this.

Edit: The exact wording is "You can pre-order the PC version of Grim Fandango Remastered now, exclusively on GOG.com", reading it without the bold bit, it sounds like the pre-order is exclusive, whilst come January 27th, it'll be on steam/humble

Between Steam's "no customer support" and Humble's "well, now that we've got venture capital funding, meh on supporting the bundled games you bought in 2012", I'm growing to really like GOG.

Right, it's the pre-order that's exclusive.  Grim Fandango has been high on GOG's customer wish list for a long time, plus GOG forked over the dough to license some LEC classics for their service a few months back.

They need to resume that, incidentally.

I love, love, LOOOOOOVED the music part of that making of! Also quite nice how it's actually a making of and not a "We, like, worked really hard on this and it's definitely a revolutionary thing that is the best thing that has ever been made until the next thing we make". Fun watch!

It's the best!

Also, when are they announcing the inevitable iPad version? Come on!

The orchestra gave me chills.. Chills... Brrr..

EDIT: That looks like a tablet. Android, though..

b5DVrR6.png

Pre-order? Hmm, I think I'll wait for the actual release so I can hear reviews about the game and not just buy it cause the previews are praisin it.

I'm sure the Vita version will have touch controls so iPad must be in the pipeline. Maybe they're holding off because of the pricing model, as in people will expect a far cheap price point on iPad.... okay maybe not: Broken age act 1 is £7.99. GrimF on GOG is £9.29

I'd guess it has more to do with money people (Sony) wanting the focus to stay on their hardware as long as possible. 

The tiny glimpse of the orchestral Grim theme in the GOG preorder video got me hyped up. That was all it took. That and the realtime shadows look really nice. It all feels very respectful.

I wouldn't be surprised if GOG campaigned hard to get exclusivity, if only for a while. Also given GOG's MO it makes sense it'll be the place where people will be the most hyped for this.

Edit: The exact wording is "You can pre-order the PC version of Grim Fandango Remastered now, exclusively on GOG.com", reading it without the bold bit, it sounds like the pre-order is exclusive, whilst come January 27th, it'll be on steam/humble

GOG could campaign all they want, they offer three to five percent of the sales numbers of Valve's platform, no developer is that stupid, least of all a mostly Valve dependie dev like Double Fine.

GOG has nowhere near the market position to get exclusive content, not even timed; and Valve, while never demanding it, still factually gets exclusive content on their platform whenever a dev decides against alternative and/or DRM free distribution or whenever a developer uses Early Access.

The pre-order starts on GOG earlier because Valve actively advises their business clients against having a pre-order phase. Apparently, the game's position in the Steam charts will be considerably higher the first days after release if there is no pre-order phase, and the many undecided "gamer culture" Steam fans happen to treat the Steam charts as a shopping list. So, no pre-order phase means more sales. Plain and simple.

Right, it's the pre-order that's exclusive. Grim Fandango has been high on GOG's customer wish list for a long time, plus GOG forked over the dough to license some LEC classics for their service a few months back.

They need to resume that, incidentally.

And it is SO TEDIOUS to wait for that. There were like three LAEC releases to herald the Disney cooperation, and then... nothing. Nothing at all.

I may have missed this but did they ever talk specifics about how they are changing the controls? Are they just simply going with camera relative controls and would that work similarly to the camera relative option in the original PC version? I'm curious to know how exactly they are going to tackle that because I found the camera relative controls super frustrating when transitioning between sets and ended up preferring the character relative tank controls.

Point and click is supported now. That's the big one. I suspect there is also less bad gamepad support since it's coming out for PlayStation.

I may have missed this but did they ever talk specifics about how they are changing the controls? Are they just simply going with camera relative controls and would that work similarly to the camera relative option in the original PC version? I'm curious to know how exactly they are going to tackle that because I found the camera relative controls super frustrating when transitioning between sets and ended up preferring the character relative tank controls.

Yeah; they're introducing point and click, which was built by a modder in the Residual engine and ported into the Remaster by Double Fine after getting him in as a consultant.

I guess I should have clarified. Specifically for PS4/Vita, do we know how they are handling that? Point and click definitely seems like the best way to go but if you are playing with a game pad, I wonder if they came up with any kind of way to make controlling Manny through set transitions less frustrating. I hated it when I would run in a specific direction in one scene, and then as soon as it transitioned, his trajectory would veer in off in a different direction because the camera was situated differently.

I can't see why they'd remove the character-relative controls, unless you've heard that's the case? It's definitely the best way of playing the original in my opinion. I think point-and-click will be excellent for computer players, of course.

The preorder video on GOG says new control type and the original tank controls (which are character relative). That is Schafer's preferred way to control the game so I don't see it being removed.

Ah cool, and I would agree with Schafer. Even as frustrating as the tank controls could be at times, I think it was the best way to control Manny without having any kind of point and click option. I do hope though that some tweaks were made to the way Manny navigates to make it easier to get into certain areas or rooms. That was really my major gripe. Some spots just had such a super narrow area where you had to walk with just the right trajectory to get to the next scene and if you fucked it up, Manny would just hit an invisible wall and rebound off in a different direction.

It controls fine on the PS4. I found them pretty quick to get used to, especially compared to the original scheme.

Eh... I quite enjoyed that metagame. Distinguished the pros.