melmer

Bloodborne (Dark Souls 2 successor (Dark Souls successor (Demon's Souls successor)))

Am I supposed to be able to use runes yet?

I've beaten BSB + Vicar Amelia, found the elevator in the church too

Also, had a really cool fight against a hunter in a place I didn't expect it.

The area where you fought Father Gascoigne

I've done five or six dungeons. I think the final boss is always the same, but the floors leading up to that have a small pool to choose from. I haven't really had a problem with any dungeon bosses yet. And yeah, echo payout isn't great at first, but you find chalices to deeper(?) dungeons as you explore, and I think those have been decent for me.

Am I supposed to be able to use runes yet?

I've beaten BSB + Vicar Amelia, found the elevator in the church too

You get the item you need for runes just past another optional boss. Look for Hemwick Charnel Lane. There's apparently a hidden way into that area, but the easiest way would be to buy the Hunter Chief Emblem and find the gate that it unlocks.

Also, had a really cool fight against a hunter in a place I didn't expect it.

The area where you fought Father Gascoigne

That was one of my favourite moments so far. I was just walking around farming old areas and I was suddenly in combat, and the other NPC that shows up to help was awesome.

That was one of my favourite moments so far. I was just walking around farming old areas and I was suddenly in combat, and the other NPC that shows up to help was awesome.

If you follow that NPC's story, it leads to some cool stuff.

Yeah, I loved that.  I actually went back on purpose, because I wanted to backtrack and that lamp is a little closer, and I then found I couldn't fast travel to it.  Thought that was weird, and probably something I should check out. 

Another favourite moment (I have a lot)

I had the password for Bergynworth[sic] and headed down to the door. I knocked and a voice said "password" and I responded. The door swung open and there was a clearly decrepit corpse sitting there in a chair and nobody else in sight.

In a game with tangled masses of snake, legless villagers, and something called a "vacuous spider", THIS made me nope the fuck out for some reason.

Has anyone encountered a strange hooded enemy in a place they didn't expect, and been killed and

taken to an "unseen village" full of similarly super strong hooded enemies, weird lobotomy enthusiast ghouls, and a giant lightning boss in the way? Is this a part of the story that happens after you kill the blood starved beast, or some crazy random event I happened into?

I think I'm heading the wrong way...

I got picked up by a giant invisible monster, who then became visible and crushed me instantly.

Has anyone encountered a strange hooded enemy in a place they didn't expect, and been killed and

taken to an "unseen village" full of similarly super strong hooded enemies, weird lobotomy enthusiast ghouls, and a giant lightning boss in the way? Is this a part of the story that happens after you kill the blood starved beast, or some crazy random event I happened into?

Yep!  Place is super hard, I haven't got through it yet, but I did make some mad dashes to grab some loot, including my new favorite weapon, the Tonitrus.  First melee weapon I've seen with innate elemental damage. It's fucking cool.  As far as them being in unexpected locations, near as I can tell...

as you progress through the game (kill bosses) the burlap bag guys start appearing in more places. You can usually tell one is around because enemies previously present have suddenly disappeared. Like a couple of the white coat guys disappear from just outside the Cathedral Ward lamp, and you can find a burlap bag bastard hiding in an alcove around the corner.

So it turns out you can backstab in Bloodborne!  *mind blown*   It's really, really situational.  You have to score a charge attack on an enemy's back, then you'll get the *gong* stagger sound, and an R1 will backstab them for critical damage.  Discovered it by accident going back to get my souls for the umpteenth time in the Forbidden Forest.  It did make a couple of areas much, much easier.

I also got invaded for the first time tonight!  In someplace called the Nightmare Frontier (subtle name is subtle).  It was great, we probably traded blows for a good 2-3 minutes, bouncing around, firing guns, withdrawing to heal, and re-engaging.  I thought I had it won, got a parry crit on him, only needed one more R1 to kill him, but I only had enough health for a couple of hits and he got a combo on me before I could finish him off. 

Yep!  Place is super hard, I haven't got through it yet, but I did make some mad dashes to grab some loot, including my new favorite weapon, the Tonitrus.  First melee weapon I've seen with innate elemental damage. It's fucking cool.  As far as them being in unexpected locations, near as I can tell...

So it turns out you can backstab in Bloodborne!  *mind blown*   It's really, really situational.  You have to score a charge attack on an enemy's back, then you'll get the *gong* stagger sound, and an R1 will backstab them for critical damage.  Discovered it by accident going back to get my souls for the umpteenth time in the Forbidden Forest.  It did make a couple of areas much, much easier.

I've not been killed by one of those guys yet. My kirkhammer stun locks them pretty good.

So that's what I've been doing! I was destroying those giants in the cathedral ward by doing a "backstab" I thought it was some weird glitch that was letting me visceral attack them without shooting them.

I finally got this game last night! It's fantastic. I don't think there's anything I can add that everyone else hasn't said, but I got to the first boss, which destroyed me. But then I was able to level up, which was ace.

My only qualm with the game is that I worry that I'll miss those hunter lamps. so far I have only found 1. Is there another one a bit closer to that first boss? I'm getting a bit tired fighting my way through that bonfire, and running past it doesn't seem like a good idea.

There's a way to not have to do that long run yes, and several ways to unlock that. You can actually get to the first boss without

ever going past the two werewolves on the bridge

I mentioned something similar earlier. It seems they've focussed on more shortcuts rather than lamps. I guess that's because no one wants to sit through over a minute of loading each time they find a lamp.

There's a way to not have to do that long run yes, and several ways to unlock that. You can actually get to the first boss without

ever going past the two werewolves on the bridge

Oh man, that's great to hear. Does it involve

falling down the hole on the other side of the bridge, where the rats/sewer is?

I mentioned something similar earlier. It seems they've focussed on more shortcuts rather than lamps. I guess that's because no one wants to sit through over a minute of loading each time they find a lamp.

That's good. I missed the feeling of inter-connectivity in DaS2. I'd rather a twisty map that coils in on itself than a bunch of lamps/bonfires.

Yes, although there are ladders to get down without taking much damage (they're hard to see). That way will open up a handful of interesting things.

I found that the easiest way to get to the first boss was indeed from the first lamp, once you spawn use the left gate to -

Go through the dark building with the wheelchair guy, go up the stairs, hang a left, and there's the boss. Also, there's an easy way to cheese the werewolves from that building, pull them right to the entrance and they can't get through the doorway. Use thrusting attacks (I actually just used the L1 axe attacks, which were sufficiently ranged) to take them out one at a time while taking minimal damage.

Also I beat the second boss last night after my like... tenth try! I actually recorded video of it because I just remembered you could do that, but I cheesed the hell out of the guy (tons of molotovs, burning bullets just for pure, minimal damage) so I don't think I'd be particularly proud of sharing.

Yes, although there are ladders to get down without taking much damage (they're hard to see). That way will open up a handful of interesting things.

I found that the easiest way to get to the first boss was indeed from the first lamp, once you spawn use the left gate to -

Go through the dark building with the wheelchair guy, go up the stairs, hang a left, and there's the boss. Also, there's an easy way to cheese the werewolves from that building, pull them right to the entrance and they can't get through the doorway. Use thrusting attacks (I actually just used the L1 axe attacks, which were sufficiently ranged) to take them out one at a time while taking minimal damage.

Also I beat the second boss last night after my like... tenth try! I actually recorded video of it because I just remembered you could do that, but I cheesed the hell out of the guy (tons of molotovs, burning bullets just for pure, minimal damage) so I don't think I'd be particularly proud of sharing.

Ah man, I explored that route last night before the boss! Didn't open the left gate though! Damnit! I wish I wasn't at work right now :(

You can allay your Bloodborne lust by constantly reading forums and thinking about what to do while at work.

At least that's what I'm doing.

Also Chalice dungeons? What are they and how does one access them? since I now have a chalice I want to put to use.

Well that's what I'm doing now. Only 3.5 hours left of work to go...

Is it only me who's terrified at every turn? I think the lack of shield makes me feel so much more vulnerable than in DaS. Also the art direction is so grotesque and unlike anything I've really played before, that every new area I am double taking to make sure that I'm certain I actually want to go down there. All new places are scary and tense, which is a feeling I haven't felt since playing the original DaS. This game is amazing from the off, and I've barely scratched the surface.

I definitely do more of a thing where I scour every corner of a new little area before proceeding to the next. Bloodborne really seems to like hiding guys in the corner that are easy to miss at first glance, I don't really remember that from Dark Souls though it may just be a color palette thing or something.

After beating the second boss, I actually found two new lamps (three if you include the one at the second boss) within a half-hour. The pacing of finding them seemed really weird, I kept feeling nervous about overextending and then finding the lamp right as I felt that sensation instead of a bit later like I'd expect. I'm eager to warp to some of the intermediate lamps and see if I missed anything going presumably right along the main path.

Yes and no.

That is one option, but there's a more painless one that's also harder to find!

oVXVgMb.gif

lol

That is amazing.

That is amazing.

(Un)fortunately I saw the gif before the boss. All tension disappeared and I one shot that boss. She was actually pretty easy when you're laughing.

Also Chalice dungeons? What are they and how does one access them? since I now have a chalice I want to put to use.

Fixed and procedurally-generated catacombs that can be explored for fun/profit. There's a row of gravestones to the left of the Messenger Shop that allow you to perform Chalice rituals and unlock a dungeon. You can also search through dungeons that have been made public, or enter the RNG seed manually (as long as you have the correct Chalice & ritual materials).

The first few Dungeons aren't all that hard, but they contain ritual materials and more Chalices, as well as different bosses from the main game. There are four different environments (Pthumera, Hintertombs, Ailing Loran, and a fourth I haven't found yet). There are variants of each of those, too (Central or Lower Pthumera), and there are "Root" versions that are randomized each time you perform a new ritual.

There are also a few weapons and armor sets that you can only find/unlock for purchase in dungeons.

Also, additional bug warning! Not quite sure what causes it, but I think it happened to me when I had my Resonant Bell looking for co-op hosts and got summoned right as I was coming to a stop at the bottom of an elevator. When I got back to my world, the pressure plate that activates the elevator was locked in position, and the elevator won't respond to stepping on it or using the lever. What's even better is that this elevator is the only way to get to a (fortunately optional) boss, and is easily four or five times lethal falling distance, so there's no way to kill the boss in my game without it being fixed. Searching online shows that others have had the same problem on a couple different elevators, so be careful!

That sounds fantastic. Is that a good way to get upgrade mats? I'm struggling to upgrade more than one weapon.