Idle Food - Cooking!

I wanted to try out my new mandoline

RZTF9hK.jpg

So I got some potatoes and made fries

Flc9Kbe.jpg

Then I decided that wasn't enough so I took it a step further

6zpBjRV.jpg

It was a horrible but delicious idea.

Man, I'm jealous. I need to get some potatoes.

I was going to microwave a hot pocket for dinner, but I decided that I am an adult. So now I'm baking a hot pocket for dinner, because why not?

I don't know how to cook. So I'm trying to learn...

Last week I made a ton of chili. http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2015/02/veggie-chili/

sOeC5Os.jpg

The bottom four containers are currently in the freezer. The top container is now empty. It's not bad! Not as spicy as I like, but I can fix that when I reheat it. Also not as thick as I like, but still doable.

And then today I made "mediterranean pasta salad" which sounds like a super vague not real name for the thing I made. http://www.health.com/health/recipe/0,,10000001993228,00.html

7lh3w6M.jpg

I didn't have any of the red peppers (couldn't find what it was asking for in the grocery store, possibly because I had no idea where to look for "bottled roasted red peppers", and eventually gave up). It's good anyway.

I need some big-ass mixing bowls (among various other kitchen tools) because, as you can see, I had to mix it in the biggest thing I had, which was where I cooked the pasta. (Well, the biggest is the giant pot I made the chili in, but that would've been overkill.)

Historically jarred roasted red peppers are roasted peppled red bell peppers. I'm not sure about your store, but if they're anywhere it's usually In the same area as jarred olives and pickles.

Also, for both heat and flavor I really really like canned chipotle chilis in adobo sauce. Chop up one of two and throw them in, with some of the sauce. Nice heat, and good smoky flavor (they're smoked jalapeño chiles). Also, they're good in mashed sweet potatoes.

I uhh couldn't find olives either, which I wanted for a different thing. I walked up and down the canned veggies aisle like seven times but eventually just gave up. I am not accustomed to actually using the grocery store for much more than frozen prepared dinners...

If there's an aisle that says "Italian" it's a good bet you can get those sorts of things there. Tip on thickening chili: unless you're really hungry or are going to bed or something, you can let it cook down as long as you'd like as long as you stir it every once in a while. Also beans. It looks like there are a nice chunk of beans in your chili already, but they can definitely thicken things up.

Funny enough, I can't find chiles in adobo in "regular" grocery stores around me, unless they are just completely hidden. I have to go to the Gigante to get them. Usually it reminds me I should go to the Gigante more often because there's so much cool stuff there.

Sometimes canned olives are near the condiments, because that's where you also find pickles and pickled veggies.

Also if I open a can of vegetables but don't need it all... what's the best way to not waste the rest of it?

I use Glad Press & Seal plastic wrap and put it in the fridge. I wouldn't keep it in there for very long, maybe around a week at most.

Mmm yeah I figured it'd be something like that. I'll probably waste a lot of food 'cause I don't really know what I'm doing, i.e., I don't know how to just use stuff at random to make a meal. I gotta follow instructions. Also I don't, in general, like most vegetables unless it's all mashed together in a dish like this, so just using some leftover veggies for a simple dish sounds unappealing. Hmmm oh well. Maybe i'll figure some stuff out.

Twig, stuff usually thickens up a bit when frozen and reheated, so you may be good to go! Looks tasty:)

I had this for breakfast

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.png

And this for dinner last night

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.png

Another good way to thicken chili specifically is to add crushed tortilla chips and simmer for a bit. Preferably unsalted if you can find them, so the chili doesn't get saltier.

Hmm I'll try the chips thing! I bought some specifically to eat with the chili, and it worked pretty well as a thing to eat the chili with. They are salted, but eh I'll try it anyway.

I had read about the freezing process thickening the chili (and apparently enhancing the spices?) so I'm looking forward to trying it again. I assume I can thaw by just leaving it in the fridge for a day or so? Also how long will it last in the freezer?

Aaaand another probably obvious question: what's the best way to preserve and reheat pasta? I have a feeling you just gotta eat a pasta dish before it goes bad, rather than freezing it like you can a soup. I also have a feeling nuking it in the microwave is probably not the best way to reheat. Although I think this particular dish might taste all right cold, I dunno.

Great to see you starting to cook Twig, it's a great way to improve one's life in may ways  :)

Yeah I like it! U:

I'm also slowly building up a real spice cabinet which is nice because it means I don't have to stand in the spices aisle for days trying to find dried basil or oregano or whatever since I've never bought them before and sometimes they don't organize alphabetically and some brands don't seem to have this or that spice...

Hmm I'll try the chips thing! I bought some specifically to eat with the chili, and it worked pretty well as a thing to eat the chili with. They are salted, but eh I'll try it anyway.

I had read about the freezing process thickening the chili (and apparently enhancing the spices?) so I'm looking forward to trying it again. I assume I can thaw by just leaving it in the fridge for a day or so? Also how long will it last in the freezer?

Aaaand another probably obvious question: what's the best way to preserve and reheat pasta? I have a feeling you just gotta eat a pasta dish before it goes bad, rather than freezing it like you can a soup. I also have a feeling nuking it in the microwave is probably not the best way to reheat. Although I think this particular dish might taste all right cold, I dunno.

Yeah I like it! U:

I'm also slowly building up a real spice cabinet which is nice because it means I don't have to stand in the spices aisle for days trying to find dried basil or oregano or whatever since I've never bought them before and sometimes they don't organize alphabetically and some brands don't seem to have this or that spice...

Preserving pasta is tough because if you freeze it and thaw it later, it often turns to mush. Generally, it keeps a week and then I toss it. Pasta salad is generally called that because it's supposed to be served cold, or at least room temp. Nuking food to warm it back up is fine, but it comes out a lot better if you heat with your microwave at 50% power and stir a couple of times. Finally, you can buy pre-stocked spice racks on Amazon for around $30. The spice is generally pretty ok, and then you can re-use the jars and keep everything organized. It's great if you don't really know what spices you should have around.

Hmm that sure does sound convenient. I'll have to see if I can find that.

Yeah a week's usually a pretty safe bet for most cooked food in the fridge. Some stuff's good even beyond that, but a week is a good conservative rule of thumb. Dewar's right, reheating pasta is a losing proposition. But it's also quick to cook and lasts for ages when uncooked (dry pasta, that is), so you're better off just making it as you need it.

I kinda think it depends on what kind of "pasta dish" you have. I'd definitely feel free to microwave any pasta that is immersed in a sauce and thus less likely to dry out. In that case you're also more reheating the sauce and the pasta is along for the ride. It also helps that I don't like to overcook my pasta, if it's cooked a little too hard you risk it breaking down even further in the process of cooling/freezing + reheating.

I make a pasta dish that's basically just italian sausage cooked in olive oil with pasta and a couple veggies, it's pretty basic and can run the risk of it being messed up by microwaving it. Usually I add a teaspoon or so of water so that it is a little closer to being steamed in the microwave than fried.

I gotta be honest, the revelation that making my own marinara may actually be easier than doctoring stuff out of a jar has really been amazing, and it is much more delicious. The downside is then wanting to make and eat pasta, which is extremely easy to go overboard on in the diet I'm trying to follow.

I went to a vegetarian Tamil cafe and had these savoury gram flour donut type things. They were excellent, lots of little nuggets of spice hidden inside the fluffy batter.

BelDYDg.png

Then i had this potato curry with lemon rice, delicious.

hWOgCbl.png

Knives are being sharped as I type this. I'm irrationally excited about being able to cut chickens in half.

Oh nice, I was just talking about picking one of those up with my Tax return.

Edit: Webpage looks broken? It's only letting me order one that's 220v

Edit 2: I assume it's because all the US ones are sold out :(

Edit 3: Working now, and purchased