Badfinger

Idle Food - Cooking!

I made these massive batches of ministrone. Each portion is around half a liter for around 400 kcal. I have them in the freezer for when i have a busy evening. Bung one in the microwave for a while, give it a few stirs, into a bowl, a little parmasean on top and dinner is served. All made in my slow cooker while i played video games on a weekend. Ditto with a batch of chilli bean soup.

ministone_for_the_freezer_360.png

I made pork dumplings and duck noodle salad. Both half eaten before i remembered to take a pic!

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.png

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.png

I accidentally made around 2kg of dumplings once. They froze pretty well, the miso soup did not.

What saucy stuff do you cook yours in Bjorn? The last recipe i followed worked textur/cooking wise really well, but the flavour was too much for me, and not the spices i really wanted. That's what i get for just following a recipe!

I'm thinking of trying a wholly unauthentic char sui type one.

I totally missed seeing this last week, sorry!  When cooking in a crockpot, I generally only use some apple and ********* juice, plus some basic seasonings.  For pulled pork, I'm generally going to be using sauce, and usually have a half dozen different bbq sauces around (because Kansas City is awesome for bbq), and so don't worry about saucing in pot.

Browsing around that budget food site that was linked the other day, I came across a crepe recipe. My wife has a lefsa grill that's been sitting unused for the last couple of years, so I decided to get it out. Crepes are great, and I got some sugar-free pudding mix and made mini chocolate cream pies. Now, I'm looking into modifying the recipe a little and making gyros tonight. Yum!

Edit: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2015/05/homemade-crepes/

Oh man, crepes. I was actually considering getting a crepe maker awhile ago, because I'm totally garbage at making them by hand and also they can be used to make lumpia wrappers from scratch. I absolutely loved getting savory crepes while I was in France, beat the heck out of any kind of wrap or gyro I've ever had in the US.

Well, if you're not too concerned about shape, I was able to just pour out the appropriate amount of batter onto a hot (400f) grill, pick up the grill and slowly swirl it to get the batter as spread out as possible, then flip it when the top wasn't wet anymore. We have one of these:

http://www.fjorn.com/32305.html

Anyone got a good cookbook recommendation? I'm tired of using my phone to look up recipes on websites that have shitty mobile designs. Preferably like "baby's first cookbook".

I just typed "cookbook" without even realizing it's actually a word and yeah it is actually a word but man is it a bizarre looking word. Cookbook. COOKbook. CookBOOK? Cookie bookie!

The internet is the best and most varied cookbook out there. If you hate looking at your phone, do it on your PC, then print it off and make a folder. Or write it down if you don't want to waste printer ink.

I've had plenty of people buy me cookbooks and they all just sit on a shelf in my office. I use them once or twice then go back to google. 

Okay but I don't want the internet! I already have that, and that's why I explicitly asked for something else. ):

Anyone got a good cookbook recommendation? I'm tired of using my phone to look up recipes on websites that have shitty mobile designs. Preferably like "baby's first cookbook".

I just typed "cookbook" without even realizing it's actually a word and yeah it is actually a word but man is it a bizarre looking word. Cookbook. COOKbook. CookBOOK? Cookie bookie!

The only cookbooks I find myself turning to frequently are those put out by the guys who run The Gate:

http://thegaterestaurants.com/shop.php

Amazingly imaginative, tasty and varied recipes that leave a ton of space for experimentation. Caveat: especially the non-easy one has some pretty involved recipes that aren't suitable to prepare when coming home off a workday.

That said, I've got a solid enough grounding in the basics that I don't refer to cookbooks for daily use (mom used to be a chef so I got a lot of this growing up), so I'm not sure what to recommend if you're just starting out. I've heard good things about The Joy of Cooking?

e: I just remembered about this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Vegetarian-Australian-Womens-Weekly/dp/186396228X

A lot more simple things that still worked out really nicely.

Hmmm I dunno about vegetarian but I'll look into it. Thanks!

Also I spent an hour last night slicing up two cloves of garlic. I'm not exaggerating. I'm bad at this. That was tedious. I'm never buying whole cloves of garlic ever again. I made a huge mistake.

I usually just go to Goodwill and look at their cookbooks. I'm sure there will be some Betty Crocker or Southern Home and Living or another staple cookbook for cheap there! Just flip through them and make sure they have dishes that interest you and instructions you understand.

Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything is basically my definitive, simple cookbook for general purposes. Joy of Cooking is probably the more traditional pick for these purposes, but Bittman has a more modern approach that encompasses food from all over the world, talks about food in a tone I appreciate, etc.

For what it's worth, I also really like Paprika for phones. It's a recipe management tool that pulls in recipes from other sites and presents them in a much better format than pretty much any recipe site I frequent.

Also also, a garlic press is an excellent investment.

Jacques Pépin's books La Technique and La Methode should be read by anyone who intends to get even slightly serious about cooking. They were more recently combined into a volume called Complete Techniques, which is one part cookbook and one part incredibly helpful step-by-step guide to, well, the techniques and methods of cooking. Absolutely essential, in my opinion. The Joy of Cooking is also pretty choice, but it can be expensive... but I find that used bookstores pretty frequently have it.

Also also, a garlic press is an excellent investment.

whaaaaaaaaat is this magic!!!

Also thanks everyone that's a lot of suggestions I'll look into all of them when I have time!

whaaaaaaaaat is this magic!!!

Hahaha, that's amazing.

Thanks for brightening my day. You've got a lot of goodness coming to you if you keep on the path :)

How To Cook Everything was going to be my suggestion as well. http://www.howtocookeverything.com/products

I have the Cooks Illustrated and Science of Good Cooking in hardcover. They are nice books and I'm very glad I own them, but I don't reference them too often.

I also have Alton Brown's cookbook, which probably doesn't work for everyone because I am an unabashed Alton fanboy.

e: DON'T BUY A DAMN GARLIC PRESS.