Sign in to follow this  
melmer

It's beginning to look a lot like...

hey dibs you're a doctor right

am i going to die?!

edit: do you know there's nothing i hate more than my post being the first post on a new page

Animal with a Santa hat, three years uninterrupted. I will maintain this avatar, because fuck all y'all.

I am, but not a medical one. Armchair General is a medical doctor.

Here, have some Valium.

oh right

i think the colors in your avatar reminded me of the colors in armchair general's avatar

HAPPY CHRISTMAS (?)

A friend of mine asked me for my ice cream Christmas pudding recipe (the combination of Christmas in summer and a Christmassy ice cream dessert is a winning combination). I thought it was worth sharing.

As you can see, it’s very loose; so long as you don’t make it impossible for the dessert to freeze, it’ll probably turn out pretty good. All measurements are in metric because imperial is terrible.

You need:
* 2 days
* about 3 cups of dried fruit and nuts, as ’the filling' (I use a packet of diced mixed fruit, a packet of glade cherries, sliced, and a packet of roasted, roughly chopped macadamias - use whatever you prefer, you can even use chocolate here if you want. Don’t let The Man tell you what to put in your ice cream Christmas pudding)
* 2 litres of vanilla ice-cream (low fat or regular)
* 2 tablespoons of brandy or rum (I use brandy)
* 300mL thickened cream (low fat or regular)
* about 1/2 teaspoon of both cinnamon and mixed spices (to taste, but this makes it taste Christmassy)
* a hero till the end of the night
* a bowl for the fruit
* a large bowl that you’ll use for freezing (or divide it up into individual servings before freezing)
* also have an electric beater on hand

Day 1
Put the fruit into your bowl, then pour the brandy on top.
Cover, and leave to soak for at least 8 hours.

The amount of brandy you put will probably feel inadequate. This is fine. It’ll get soaked up. Do not make the mistake of putting brandy directly into the ice-cream like I did the first time I tried it. It won’t freeze and you’ll feel terrible.

Grapple with the ennui of your inadequate amount of brandy. Brandy can also be used for grappling with ennui. Drink responsibly.

Day 2
Roast any nuts you’re using - macadamias can be roasted in the oven at around 120˚C for about 40 minutes or until they’re brown. Put down baking paper and spread them out (it’s okay if they’re not all one layer but don’t get carried away with your macadamia tower). Make sure you keep poking them around so they roast evenly. Let them cool.

Soften the ice-cream, and place it in your large bowl.
Fold the fruit, nuts, and anything else you’re using for filling into the ice-cream.
Add the cream, cinnamon and mixed spices.
Mix well.

If the ice-cream hasn’t quite melted and still has air bubbles, put it straight into the freezer. If you’re like me, and the ice-cream has gotten runny, use the electric beater on a low to medium setting (read: as fast as possible without the mixture going everywhere) to aerate it, then put it in the freezer. (This, hopefully, prevents the ice-cream from getting that icy-pole texture. I haven’t actually tested this.)

Day 3
Serve. Some people put a layer of melted chocolate on top, but I prefer to have the fruit filling on display and also I couldn’t be arsed with the chocolate.

Excellent. I will make this in approximately 330 days!

If you have a Christmas in July party, this is also an excellent dessert for that.

I have been humming Christmas Carols for the last few weeks. I guess work finally let off on the stress enough for me to celebrate the holidays in my heart.