dibs

Risk of Rain

So, I picked this up tonight knowing noting about it as three people on my friends list were playing it.

Holy crap it is good. Spelunky felt...boring after play it. (Edit: until i had an epic battle with a spider).

I'm not sure how to describe it - it's like if Flashback got put in a blender with hotline miami and rogue legacy.

I skipped this one because the procedural generation didn't look that interesting. Like In Spelunky you have different sorts of jumping puzzles, things like that depending on how the level is organized. With Risk of Rain it looked like I wouldn't be doing different things as a result of the procedural generation (Teleglitch is also like that). Is that impression incorrect?

Bought it. Is great fun, especially with a friend (or three!).

sclpls: This game has more in common with a traditional roguelike than Spelunky does, in that there are a TON of different powerups and such that you can find as you play, there are different classes (although you have to unlock them), and the focus is more on killing all the dudes and finding the exit than it is platforming.

The game starts you off at Very Easy mode, then as time passes a little bar fills and after a few minutes it goes into Easy mode. Then Normal, then Hard, then Very Hard, then Insane and then there are like 5 more difficulty levels. It becomes a matter of how long you stick around a certain level to grind some XP before you move on to the next one.

It's pretty cool. And you're welcome dibs.  :grin:

I beat it!

Bandit + Jar of Souls is OP.

Sniper is weird. Definitely a multiplayer-only kind of dude. Doesn't really have the fast damage output to survive on his own. Even two snipers (as my friend and I just tried) didn't work out well at all.

Still a lot of stuff to unlock. I imagine I'll be spending a lot more time with it, like I did with The Binding of Isaac after I beat that. And like I did with Spelunky classic (and presume I will do with Spelunky HD)!

Also to go back to the procedural generation stuff: for the most part, there's not much randomization within a level. The random stuff includes chest placement and teleporter placement. but there is SOMe randomization in level structure, and there are more levels that exist than you'll see in one playthrough. That is, it takes six levels to beat the game. There are more than six levels. (The first and last level are always the same, I think?) I dunno, just kind of guessing. Only had the game for one day!

Thank you Lu for your glowing recomendation.:tommy:

clyde: (I've only played about an hour, so maybe Twig and Lu will have better insight, but here goes). The game is very action orientated. The decisions i was making was how long to spend levelling up and getting cash versus the difficulty timer racking up. Cash can be quite sparse at times, so you need to decide what powerups you are after as well, or make the most of random drops.

sclps: I think the levels are picked from a set list. Within that, start and end location, drops and enemies are randomised, as well as some drop in enviornment modules. I didn't mind it (Again, i've only played it a short while). I did have a great moment of nostalgia when I passed the location where i had slain a boss in a previous run.

Also, music be thumpin.

Hey thanks to everyone that responded to my superficial assumption about the game. It does sound interesting. I'm hooked on XCOM: EW at the moment, but I'm gonna add this to my wishlist and pick it up at some point for sure!

Ended up picking up a four-pack for me and 3 friends and tried the 4 player coop.  It was definitely fun but felt extraordinarily punishing  Playing this game makes me feel like I'm playing it wrong.  Maybe it gets easier after getting more unlocks.

Lu and I did a multiplayer this morning. Near the end it was me alive for around 30s at the start of each level followed by a personal live stream of Lu playing solo. Every so often he would pass my corpse so I guess I was still playing.

I finished all by myself with the hunter. Much easier solo. Haha.

Also, I picked up an active item - a ships wheel. I don't know what it does so I looked it up in the item inventory. It wasn't the eye. So confused. Anyone seen it?

Is there a persistent element at all?

There are unlockable items (you don't get to keep them, you just unlock the ability for them to drop in subsequent playthroughs) and there are unlockable characters.  I've only unlocked one other character so far.

I was playing a lot of the demo during the summer. I dont know how the final game turned out but as far look, feel, art, sound and fun items/class combos, this was seriously a cool fun game.

I played the demo over and over, so even if the greater game didn't turn out all that spiffy, I'll be picking it up to see what items and classes they've added, it was super cool.

No. Rain had to be risked and the screaming was a necessity for survival. Risk of Rain, some stay dry and others feel the pain.

• Gameplay

• Enforcer

• Protect and Serve

• Cooldown reduced by 1 second

• Internal cooldown reduced by 1 second

• Animation now properly scales with attack speed

• Now allows for slowed movement, retaining shield direction

We were aiming to have the skill feel less clunky, also allowing the Enforcer have tools to block body-centered missiles later in the game

Sniper

• Reload

• Removed redundant frames

Steady Aim

• Fully charges at 2.5 seconds, rather then 3

Now properly reduces damage by 50% (rather than 60%)

Again, aiming to have the Sniper feel less clunky while maintaining class identity

Multiplayer games now have the option to prevent item hogging

• Enabled by the host in lobby

If a single person has too many items compared to the rest of their team, the game will prevent you from picking them up. Feel free to post feedback if it is too strict/lenient!

Last boss now drops a Monster Log

Bug Fixes

• Melee attacks now properly work with the Brilliant Behemoth

Hourglass no longer procs on dead players

40 minute achievement no longer procs on dead players

Monsters on top of drones no longer crashes the game

Gaining more than 70 unique items no longer crashes the game

Damage stat is now properly saved

Sound no longer loops if cutscene is skipped during the alarm

Ifrit can no longer moonwalk

Variety of other small bug fixes

I've tried the Enforcer and the changes do help. I think the class might even be half-way useful now as a support character. Will have to try!

Looking for something new to play in co-op, the lady and I started this up last night.  Its bunches of fun!  But holy hell is it hard.  We only made it to the fourth stage once, on easy.  We are babies, and this is not a baby game. 

Any tips from those of you who played it on not sucking?  Like how much time should you be spending per level?  We tried rushing a few times, but felt really underpowered since we weren't getting as many items or experience. 

You get better, especially as you unlock more items. Also some characters are "better" than others. I got to the point where with the Bandit I could literally just play forever. Other classes were way harder for me, although I think some people find them easier.

My general strategy was just "explore the level as thoroughly as seems reasonable and open all the boxes". In other words, get everything, get out. Also kill all the big enemies since they drop stuff. I never bothered rushing unless I was suddenly overwhelmed by lots of enemies.

I played little co-op, though. I don't know if they balance accordingly or not. Also what little co-op I did play, we'd lord it over each other when one of us got all the items and the other just kept dying. It was good.

I want to play this game again. D:

Ya, don't rush, but don't dawdle either. Explore the level and remember where there are items. After the killing is over, go back and get everything. Since you are going coop, then try to share the items well. For example, if one of you is melee, then make sure they get the first defence items, people who shoot fast benefit from on-hit items and the like. Time stop is super powerful too.