BigJKO

A Dedicated Thread For Talking About Star Trek Episodes

The more i look at it, the more I like data. his face is amazing. I agree with the picard looking a bit buff. Maybe put Riker on that body.

Also, i gess benX has a bit of a Dr. CRUSHer going on. ooooooh.

I'm also working through SAM's list and these episodes are mostly crackers - I'm finally seeing why Star Trek is so popular! I'm also trying to catch all Q, Borg and Lore episodes, which are generally pretty good. Soon I'll be asking for a similar list for DS9, though from what I know of the series, the Dominion War arc might make that trickier (plus I think SAM may have said he doesn't know it as well - I'll be lost!).

I rewatched DS9 a couple years ago and am currently making that exact list ad hoc with a friend. Mostly, it involves going down the list in Netflix with her and saying "Yeah," "Hmm," or "Oh God, that's the Brigadoon episode, please no," as I read the titles and synopses.

I'd certainly feel good codifying it here. And yeah, the Dominion War complicates things, mostly because during it there are long streaks of very good episodes one after another.

Also lots of plot heavy episodes that are important to understanding later episodes, but aren't all that great by themselves.

i gess benX has a bit of a Dr. CRUSHer going on. ooooooh.

Shut up, Wesley.

I'm also working through SAM's list and these episodes are mostly crackers - I'm finally seeing why Star Trek is so popular!

I'm not sure what that means so... thanks?  

I actually thought Dr. Crusher was rather lovely too, but this fact is mostly hidden in the series (except for one episode where she's romanced by a ghost.  Yes, that is real).

I can provide additional episodes I think are worth watching if BigJKO and Ben X aren't getting too burned out.  I stuck to Ben's request of 20 as a limit for the first list but that meant skipping other ones I thought were good.

If you guys move on to DS9, I might join you in watching.  I never got into it like I did TNG and Voyager when it first came out because it deals with more political/real world issues than the other two, but I'll give it a shot now.  It might be better if I have other people I can discuss it with as I watch.

Watched the first ep of ds9, I too haven't seen much of it. The scenes between sisko and his wife were pretty painful to watch, not in a good way. I know I watched a decent chunk when it was airing but I don't remember much other than the characters.

The more i look at it, the more I like data. his face is amazing.

:D Thanks. It was a bit tricky to get his emotionless yet fully perplexed look.

SAM, I meant that up til now I'd only seen bits and pieces of TNG which weren't great - thanks to your list I've realised that it was legitimately great telly at points.

Are you considering watching all of DS9? Or just the top 20 or so?

Additional episodes I liked for one reason or another.  I'll give a one line description and you can decide if you want to watch it.

The Enemy - 3x07 (Romulans)

Sins of the Father - 3x17 (Worf defends his family name)

Reunion - 4x07 (More Klingons, introduces Worf's son Alexander and Gowron who is also important in DS9)

Data's Day - 4x11 (A day in the life of, well, Data.  Also includes a tap dancing Dr. Crusher)

Devil's Due - 4x13 (Picard the space lawyer)

Clues - 4x14 (Mystery on the Enterprise)

The Nth Degree - 4x19 (Barclay the super genius)

Half a Life - 4x22 (An episode about assisted suicide in a way, also has Troi's mom but in a less irritating capacity than normal)

The Mind's Eye - 4x24 (The Manchurian Candidate in space)

In Theory - 4x25 (Data gets a girlfriend)

Disaster - 5x05 (The Enterprise gets crippled in space and the bridge crew gets stuck in different parts of the ship)

Conundrum - 5x14 (Retrograde amnesia in space)

The Outcast - 5x17 (Episode about gender identity, seems quite relevant now)

I Borg - 5x23 (The crew adopts a Borg drone)

Realm of Fear - 6x02 (More Barclay)

Rascals - 6x07 (Kid versions of some of the crew have to take the ship back from some Ferengi)

Starship Mine - 6x18 (Die Hard in space, sort of, with Picard as Bruce Willis)

Frame of Mind - 6x21 (Riker loses his grip on reality)

Second Chances - 6x24 (Riker meets a duplicate of himself)

Timescape - 6x25 (Time manipulation)

Inheritance - 7x10 (Data meets his mother)

Parallels - 7x11 (Worf travels through alternate realities, includes this:

Riker_gone_mad.jpg

Genesis - 7x19 (The crew de-evolves, also more Barclay)

First Contact - Second TNG Movie (The only one of the TNG movies I'd really recommend as any good)

SAM, I meant that up til now I'd only seen bits and pieces of TNG which weren't great - thanks to your list I've realised that it was legitimately great telly at points.

Are you considering watching all of DS9? Or just the top 20 or so?

Yeah, there's certainly a lot of dumb stuff in TNG, but when it's good, it's really good.

I'll probably watch most of DS9, skipping the ones that are generally disliked.  It depends on how into it I get.

Awesome, thanks for the list! :D

I finished sketching them all. Now onto painting them, which'll take.. forever.

tumblr_mz70by51jA1qlxkdoo1_r3_1280.png

EDIT: Slightly updated with Rodi's comments.

I'm hassling you on Twitter over this, but I just want to say for the record this is great work. I think the Crusher family could use some extra love, and when I think of Data I see wide, curious, possibly baffled eyes before me - not disappointed ones, but the rest is spot on.

I'm having a hard time with the Crushers, yeah. They feel like they're almost there, but every time I look at them I want to adjust them a bit.

Data could do with opening his eyes more!

I'm very happy with how Riker and Troi turned out.. They looked awful when I started them. God damn it, it's hard to draw actual human beings (and androids; Klingons are easy!)

Data could do with opening his eyes more!

As if this thread wasn't proof enough that I'm a Star Trek dork, this comment reminded me that Data's pattern of blinking his eyes is based on the fourier series to give it the appearance of randomness.  That fact came from the episode Inheritance (which I originally meant to put on my list but I forgot) where Data meets his mother.

Btw, Second Chances was a hilarious episode. Loved that he went out into the world as Thomas Riker. I wish he'd appear again in a DS9 or Voyager episode or something, and everyone'd be like "Hey, aren't you William Riker?" and he'd go "Oh, no, no.. I'm Thomas Riker." That'd be the best/worst.

Btw, Second Chances was a hilarious episode. Loved that he went out into the world as Thomas Riker. I wish he'd appear again in a DS9 or Voyager episode or something, and everyone'd be like "Hey, aren't you William Riker?" and he'd go "Oh, no, no.. I'm Thomas Riker." That'd be the best/worst.

Be careful what you wish for...

Spooooiilers! I think I'll try a lot of those S6 eps in your second list, SAM, they sound fun.

JKO: Wes, imo, doesn't bear much of a resemblance - looks more like Winona Ryder. Data looks a little angry now, too... The rest are fantastic though, and I think you've nailed Beverley, so to speak.

Dr. Bashir is really annoying.

I was actually just talking about this very thing with the aforementioned friend who's also rewatching DS9.

Both Dax and Bashir don't have any strong personality traits at the start of the show... Dax is smart and a bit of a flirt, Bashir is a naive idealist, but that's about it. I don't think Dax's character ever really becomes great, although when Worf comes on the show the chemistry helps a lot, but Bashir gets a few good character episodes by the third season ("Distant Voices" is a standout) and an actual personality by the fifth. Hang in there!

That was one of the reasons I never really got into DS9 my first time around.  None of the characters really seemed that interesting to me except for the TNG transplants (Chief O'Brien and later Worf) and Garak.

Alright, I'm done with the finale. Might watch some of the other eps you recommended, SAS.

But now I kind of want to watch some DS9. Was someone making a list on that? I'm going to need that.

I might also watch some Voyager stuff at some point. Maybe someone knows of any standout episodes that are must watch.

And lastly, is Star Trek: Enterprise worth watching at all? I never seem to hear anything good about it, as if everyone would rather it just not existed.