Sign in to follow this  
melmer

Star Wars Video Games - A New Hope

Disney has gone out and registered domain names for a yet to be announced project called Star Wars Attack Squadrons.

The registrations include names like StarWarsAttackSquadrons.com, SWAttackSquadrons.com, AttackSquadrons.com and AttackSquadron.us, to name just a few.

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2013/07/star-wars-attack-squadrons-domain-names.html

Is there a sweet new Star Wars dog fighting game on the horizon to coincide with the new movie? I'd be happy with anything in the style of xwing alliance, rouge squadron and everything in-between.

*Rogue :)

I've got a feeling the action in the new film will focus quite heavily on dog fighting like Star Wars IV. Also the new animated series I believe is focused on the fighter pilots, I think x wings are coming back in a big way

BONUS:

20 game ideas that didn't make it: http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2013/07/twenty-star-wars-games-that-didnt-make.html

1375102273-star-wars-games.jpg

I wonder if Star Wars Rebel Scum was a match 3 game

I'm surprised not to see Star Wars jabbas scrot on that page

"Rouge Squadron" will always make me laugh.  I picture Wedge applying concealer before taking off.

I also enjoy the idea of a LucasArts executive looking back and forth between the "Rebel Jedi" and "Jedi Rebel" logos.

The dot in the "Darth Maul" title makes it look like "Darth & Maul" which I hope is a stoner comedy game about two regular space dudes who have to go on the run after being confused for a Sith Lord and wacky hijinks ensues.

Wait, are those logos official? Do we now know that Episode VII will be titled Shadows of the Sith?

thus crushing my dream of "Star Wars Episode VII: The Rise of Darth Fett"

I love how eight out of the twenty titles are "Rebel/Rogue" something. Gotta leverage Star Wars brand identities to tap into that youth market!

EDIT: And eight are "Jedi" something, too! mikemariano's right, "Rebel Jedi / Jedi Rebel" is the clear apex of this sample.

Nobody wants to play as rogues or Rebels I guess. Jedi Knight 3 having a very specific title indicates to me that they had something concrete going there. I should look that up and see what it was all supposed to be about.

"Attack Squadrons" sounds like it's going to be a mobile app.

Jedi Knight 3 having a very specific title indicates to me that they had something concrete going there. I should look that up and see what it was all supposed to be about.

I'm also noticing that their JK3 logo is used again for "Star Wars: Jedi Outlaw".

Were there multiple attempts to make JK3?

I really want Jedi Hunter to be a Cabela's Dangerous Hunts-style shooter in which you bullseye womp rats, just like back home.

Hmm, this seems less like 20 ideas and more like 20 logos. Rebel Jedi, Jedi Rebel, Rebel Warrior, Jedi Outlaw, Jedi Master and Rouge Jedi, I feel like are all the same game. I only bring this up because my first exposure to this image was through a tweet that claimed these were all games in development that got cancelled, and I was irrationally bothered by that assumption.

Unless this book specifically says that these were all 20 different games. In which case, my bad.

I think it's probably fair to assume that these are only in a loose sense all distinct, cancelled games.

The cursory internet searches i ran suggest that Jedi Master was a different incarnation of the game that eventually ended up becoming Force Unleashed, and i'm also just going to make a wild guess that Rebel Jedi and Jedi Rebel might have just been different logos for the same game.

Every time i come into this thread Billy Idol starts singing in my head

watch this

listen to this

I'm also noticing that their JK3 logo is used again for "Star Wars: Jedi Outlaw".

Were there multiple attempts to make JK3?

It could've also just been a "hey that logo was cool, since we didn't get to use it then how about now?"

So this means that Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy didn't count as JK3 I guess?

I'm pretty sure it was originally pitched to players as a stand-alone expansion pack.

I mean, it was a new campaign built up on all of JK2's assets.

In my mind Jedi Academy was always the fourth game in the Dark Forces series.

Also remember that this series was the worst "colon title" offender of all time.

Star Wars Jedi Knight 3: Dark Forces 4:  Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Hamburger Truck

Kyle Katarn, now retired from being a Jedi Master, starts his own food truck on Coruscant. Use your Jedi powers to flip burger patties, your Jedi intuition to get your fries perfectly golden, every time.

I hate playing Jedi in video games or pen and paper RPGs. Either their force powers are so weak that it just feels dumb, or so powerful that the rest of the mechanics of the game don't really matter.