tegan

Super Smash Bros. (Spoiler: Snake Kills Ganondorf)

That's kinda interesting. I personally would have gone with basically a screen shot of the game, but what do I know about marketing video games in the 80s?

This thread has kinda derailed. I'm kinda irritated at Nintendo for making a 3ds and wii u version of smash bros. I don't want to buy both...but I probably will.

So there's going to be a new character revealed in about twenty minutes, which is rad, but will also likely overshadow this:

tNhCkKU.jpg

Today's update was that Rayman is a trophy. What a weird thing to include, unless there's a Ubisoft character coming that we don't know about yet.

Okay, so I know that the point of that video was to show off the two new Fire Emblem characters, but Captain Falcon finally being confirmed was literally the only thing that I give a shit about.

seriously though, we have at least four Fire Emblem characters now

sakurai what are you doing

sakurai stop

Today's update was that Rayman is a trophy. What a weird thing to include, unless there's a Ubisoft character coming that we don't know about yet.

Given their Wii release catalog, it would have to be a Rabbid, right?

Given their Wii release catalog, it would have to be a Rabbid, right?

It'll be Aiden Pierce's iconic cap.

Seriously, Rayman is baffling to me because Ubisoft has such a shitty relationship with Nintendo at this point. Remember how they waited until something like a week before it was supposed to come out to delay Rayman for Wii U and remove its exclusive status? Remember how they've all but stopped pretending that Watch_Dogs is still coming to Wii U? Remember how, this fucking week, Ubisoft said that they weren't going to make any more Wii U games until it has a bigger install base?

Who knows when the Ubi-Smash talks started, and what their relationship was like at the time? Rabbids and Just Dance did pretty well on the Wii, and Ubi was fairly warm on the WiiU at launch (ZombiU).

Could be that the 4th FE character was supposed to be Rayman until the relationship soured, and it was slotting in another character in the Fire Emblem mold was the easiest replacement.

So now we've got Mii Fighters, Palutena, Pac-Man and Mr. Game & Watch.

Although I just noticed they didn't add G&W to the website? That's weird. Is he not actually confirmed as a fighter? That'd super suck guys! Super! He also wasn't given the "Mr. Game & Watch [silly phrase]!" treatment, as all other challengers have been.

So, we're now at 32(+1?), which puts us just three short of Brawl's count. That's 5(-1?) short of Brawl's count. Unless Sakurai's changed his stance, there won't be as many characters in this game as Brawl. There are 7(-1?) characters left that plenty of people would probably expect, but having them all would put us OVER the count. Now I'm worried some of those I mention in that quote wont' make it. I love all those so much. ): I'm more and more convinced G&W might not be coming back. EDIT: Whoever edited the Wikipedia article agrees with me that there is a distressing lack of evidence supporting G&W's return. D: D: D:

Also I still have no idea what those pixel levels are in the Pac-Man trailer!

(EDIT: Well, I guess Brawl had two extra characters in the form of transformations, for a total of 39, but that still doesn't leave much room.)

At this point I feel obligated to just continue my meaningless analysis of the Number of Smash Characters.

I'll just assume for generosity's sake from this point on that Brawl has 39 unique characters. I'll also assume for pessimism's sake that Sakurai didn't go back on his word that there'd be fewer characters in Smash 4 than there were in Brawl. I'll also assume for more pessimism's sake that Game & Watch definitely WILL NOT be in the game, because Captain Falcon got a tile on the Smash Bros website (yessssssssssssssssssssss). Poor G&W. ):

Last time we were at 32. Seven short of the 39 unique characters (including Zelda/Shiek, Samus/Zero Suit Samus, and the three Pokémon Trainer pokeymans). Now we've got THREE MORE. That's 35 out of 38 possible if Sakurai's word still holds true.

We still don't have Ice Climbers, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, or Wario. (Or Metaknight.) (((...or G&W ;_; )))

WHO'S GETTIN' DROPPED?! UH OHH OHOHHHHHHHHH.

Sakurai also said they're "nearing the bottom of the stash of new challenger videos that [they've] made", so there's not going to be many more revelations. There will probably still be some secrets unrevealed until unlocked. I hope. Like JIGGLYPUFF. ):<

Also I'd dig a playable Radman, but if I have to play one of those stupid fucking Rabbids or if I even have to SEE one of those stupid fucking Rabbids in Smash I will boycott the game.

REAL TALK.

Also I'd dig a playable Radman, but if I have to play one of those stupid fucking Rabbids or if I even have to SEE one of those stupid fucking Rabbids in Smash I will boycott the game.

REAL TALK.

I remember back when I read Nintendo Power I saw a full-page ad where they had reprinted a Rayman 2 advertisement but with a bunch of Rabbids tearing through and screaming. I can not think of a better metaphor for the trajectory that Rayman took last generation.

Also, right now the only franchise that has more playable character representation than Fire Emblem in the new Smash Bros. is Mario. Fire Emblem is on the same tier as Zelda and Pokémon. What the hell.

REAL TALK.

Rabbids have invaded the Smash world and every single stage is rabbid themed.

Oh, also, I didn't realize Robin was the canonical name of the PC in Awakening. IIRC, the faqs had some other term they typically used to refer to the PC, since it confused me when I tried to look it up (it might have been MU, for My Unit).

Also, it's interesting to see Nintendo reacting to the community, particularly the clearly-afterthought-ed "also, Female Robin!" Which is cool though, because "I wonder if the female version is an alt costume" was my first thought on seeing the character.

who

They're from the latest Fire Emblem game. (which is really good btw) Robin is the player model, and you can choose to be either a girl or boy, hence the gender swap at the end.

Also, was it just me who thought that the magic attacks Robin shouted sounded like the talking bit in the Shitty Wizard song lord Remo did? 

REAL TALK.

Sakurai Has just announced it's going to be re-titled Super Smash Rabbids

Also, right now the only franchise that has more playable character representation than Fire Emblem in the new Smash Bros. is Mario. Fire Emblem is on the same tier as Zelda and Pokémon. What the hell.

Fire Emblem's been super popular lately, with the 3DS release. I'm not really that surprised. I have almost literally zero interest, myself, but every single one of my friends who play video games and have a 3DS got really into it, not to mention all the people who aren't my friends!.

They're from the latest Fire Emblem game. (which is really good btw) Robin is the player model, and you can choose to be either a girl or boy, hence the gender swap at the end.

Also, was it just me who thought that the magic attacks Robin shouted sounded like the talking bit in the Shitty Wizard song lord Remo did? 

It's kind of the same logic as to Nes yelling "PK Fire!", it's ripped from the originating game's conventions, it's consistent but dumb. 

...also yeah, Fire Emblem: Awakening is super good.

Yeah, I figured the Fire Emblem stuff was because the most recent Fire Emblem was super popular so it's An Official Nintendo Franchise now.

So Chrom isn't a playable character, he's just Lucina's smash attack. idk if everyone knew that or not. I didn't XD

Last time we were at 32. Seven short of the 39 unique characters (including Zelda/Shiek, Samus/Zero Suit Samus, and the three Pokémon Trainer pokeymans). Now we've got THREE MORE. That's 35 out of 38 possible if Sakurai's word still holds true.

We still don't have Ice Climbers, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, or Wario. (Or Metaknight.) (((...or G&W ;_; )))

WHO'S GETTIN' DROPPED?! UH OHH OHOHHHHHHHHH.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Sakurai doesn't care about the roster number any more. If he does, I could live without Ganondorf, Ice Climbers, Wario and Metaknight. Especially as Ganondorf was just a re-skinning of Captain Falcon. As G&W is already in a video, if not breifly, (as well as 2 previous versions), I'd be suprised if he removes him. (also he's awesome. I'd be sad to see him go)

It's kind of the same logic as to Nes yelling "PK Fire!", it's ripped from the originating game's conventions, it's consistent but dumb. 

...also yeah, Fire Emblem: Awakening is super good.

Yeah, but Ness only ever shouted PK Fire. Robin shouted a different attack name depending on the power of the attack -which is essentially the same name but with an addex suffix/prefix. Just reminded me of the 'spectral blade, improved spectral blade, astral blast...' bit. 

Yeah, but Ness only ever shouted PK Fire. Robin shouted a different attack name depending on the power of the attack -which is essentially the same name but with an addex suffix/prefix. Just reminded me of the 'spectral blade, improved spectral blade, astral blast...' bit. 

didnt he also say pk thunder & pk freeze?

i wonder if they were just over-narrating his different special attacks and that would not be actual in-game sound...Or it would only trigger every 3rd attack command.  the screen is already a disco of noise and flashing colors - a limit on sound spamming would be nice

So Chrom isn't a playable character, he's just Lucina's smash attack. idk if everyone knew that or not. I didn't XD

I could live without Ganondorf, Ice Climbers, Wario and Metaknight. Especially as Ganondorf was just a re-skinning of Captain Falcon. As G&W is already in a video, if not breifly, (as well as 2 previous versions), I'd be suprised if he removes him. (also he's awesome. I'd be sad to see him go)

Chrom is kind of a tedious stuffed suit anyways. He's the least interesting romance option in a dating sim.

I don't care much about Ganondorf or MetaKnight, but Ice Climbers provide a unique mechanic, so it would be a shame to see them go. (Although it looks like Rosalina and Luma might provide something similar,)

To be honest, I also side with the "who cares about Ganondorf" group, BUT I think it'd be a real shame to drop him. He's a cool dude. I really wish they'd just start over with him and make him totally unique. Wonder if they'll swap him out for Skyward Sword's villain guy. Pretty-boy evil-face, or whatever his name is. Plus it'd be super weird to me for the Zelda franchise to only have two... wait, I guess they have three, with Zelda and Shiek now being completely separate. Nevermind? I think?

Speaking of unique mechanics, I like that more characters seem to have those this time around. Rosalina and Luma's disconnect, Little Mac's power-up, Robin's ran-out-of-magic-time-to-use-sword. That kinda stuff is super cool and super fun and super super.

undermind: I think shouting the spell names was just for show. They did a similar thing with Little Mac's video, didn't they? With Coach narrating each attack? I was actually sad when we saw gameplay and that didn't happen. Though, in the long run it's probably for the best, as you suggest. ):

To be honest, I also side with the "who cares about Ganondorf" group, BUT I think it'd be a real shame to drop him. He's a cool dude. I really wish they'd just start over with him and make him totally unique. Wonder if they'll swap him out for Skyward Sword's villain guy. Pretty-boy evil-face, or whatever his name is. Plus it'd be super weird to me for the Zelda franchise to only have two... wait, I guess they have three, with Zelda and Shiek now being completely separate. Nevermind? I think?

Don't forget Toon Link.

I guess they could do Ghirahim, but if they're gonna add Ganondorf again, I hope he at least uses his damn sword.

Oh yeah Toon Link.

Well whatever then shut up.