Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Thumbs 110: The Thing That You Needed To Say

Idle Thumbs 110:

407__header.jpg

The Thing That You Needed To Say

We're not quite at the point where E3 keynotes have exit polls, so you'll have to settle for this episode of a podcast instead. We play pundit following the heated battle that was Sony and Microsoft keynote day at E3, Jake accidentally pays attention to Nintendo for a second and can't look away, and Nick runs a lot of dudes over in his car.

Things Discussed: Super Smash Bros for Wii U, Super Mario 3D World, State of Decay, Stickets

most people know that things will change with consoles, but also most people can't afford to buy every console so they want to make a good choice, i would say at the moment the best choice is the PS4, but we will see

I hope one of you guys will be picking up the last of us for next weeks podcast

Hint

yeah, is it actually good or does it just have an incredibly massive marketing budget

You guys express almost the exact same opinions I hold regarding Nintendo. I guess the only difference is I'm still willing to buy in for specific games that I love. Like, well, Super Smash Bros. I want it. I want it a lot.

And Wonderful 101!

Anyway, it's incredibly frustrating how much they just keep doing the same shit over and over and over. Like Chris, I acknowledge when they do innovate. Super Mario Galaxy is one of my favorite video games in the past decade. I love it. But c'mon Nintendo. Just because you CAN keep making the same games over and over because everyone, despite complaining, eats it all up, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Euurgh.

Loved the presidential race comment. Perfect.

Yes Chris! You need to be able to mute sound in mobile games! The most disappointing thing for me about the Android version of Super Hexagon is the inability to do this. I originally beat the game on PC while listening to podcasts and it's the perfect game for this since somehow you can pay full attention to a conversation while still focusing on that game. I'd still be playing it on my phone if I could just mute the music.

World of Tanks is coming to xbone, and that's a pure multiplayer game. It is free to play, sort of, considering you need a xbonel gold.

you need a xbonel gold.

The gold prequisite is exactly what we were talking about. That's for-pay multiplayer.

Tanks was coming to 360 as well

I don't know what the conversation is, but if its true free to play on a console. Free to play Tekken and dead or alive is coming to playstation 3, which will give you complete access to the single and multiplayer game with a couple of characters for free (I think)

There's loads of free to play stuff coming to ps4 but that will be behind the plus subscription

According to Joystiq the F2P on PS4 doesn't require PS+

Furthermore, free-to-play games won't require PlayStation Plus for online multiplayer. During a separate roundtable Joystiq was present at, Sony Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida said, "As far as free-to-play games are concerned, it's the publisher's decision whether they put it inside or outside of PS Plus."

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/12/playstation-plus-price-not-changing-video-services-dont-requir/

I enjoyed the post-episode confession regarding the ongoing (imagined?) war between Giant Bomb and Idle Thumbs.

You guys express almost the exact same opinions I hold regarding Nintendo. I guess the only difference is I'm still willing to buy in for specific games that I love. Like, well, Super Smash Bros. I want it. I want it a lot.

And Wonderful 101!

Anyway, it's incredibly frustrating how much they just keep doing the same shit over and over and over. Like Chris, I acknowledge when they do innovate. Super Mario Galaxy is one of my favorite video games in the past decade. I love it. But c'mon Nintendo. Just because you CAN keep making the same games over and over because everyone, despite complaining, eats it all up, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Euurgh.

Loved the presidential race comment. Perfect.

yeah it's weird i thought most people that still like nintendo believe they're still the best consoles ever, but basically nintendo are firmly aimed at the "my first console market" and do/did well for that target market, most nintendo games are good for your first game and no doubt create future gamers, but i think even the kids these days want a tablet more than a console so nintendo are on shaky ground  

I now retroactively realized why I found Nick's original "Oh you died" moment during Chris' Metro story so funny. It was payback for every story he's ever tried (and apparently ever will try) to tell on Idle Thumbs. I can't believe I forgot the "Nick tries to talk about something but gets constantly interrupted" trope of Idle Thumbs. :P

The e-mail about inclusive fantasy was super interesting. It also reminded me of the biggest bummer I've ever encountered: outrage over the Demoman's race in TF2. I was just looking for some information when I came across it in the Steam forums years ago. What a dissapointment that was.

Join us, Jake.

We have Super Metroid on gamepad.

(Also you guys missed out on the secret best 3D Mario by not playing the 3DS game)

I now retroactively realized why I found Nick's original "Oh you died" moment during Chris' Metro story so funny. It was payback for every story he's ever tried (and apparently ever will try) to tell on Idle Thumbs. I can't believe I forgot the "Nick tries to talk about something but gets constantly interrupted" trope of Idle Thumbs. :P

The e-mail about inclusive fantasy was super interesting. It also reminded me of the biggest bummer I've ever encountered: outrage over the Demoman's race in TF2. I was just looking for some information when I came across it in the Steam forums years ago. What a dissapointment that was.

so some people are racist and didn't want a black guy in a game, were you surprised by that? or was it just particularly horrible?

(Also you guys missed out on the secret best 3D Mario by not playing the 3DS game)

(Well, it's good... but not the secret best. That goes to Super Mario Sunshine. The real best is Galaxy [2], of course. This parenthetical statement(s) is getting too long. Oh no!)

so some people are racist and didn't want a black guy in a game, were you surprised by that? or was it just particularly horrible?

Well kinda, I don't think that kind of thread would've existed because of moderation. It was a discussion that began couched in his earlier design work mixed with the idea that he isn't "actually" Scottish. It was the sort of thread where you read it thinking there are interesting ideas being discussed about aesthetics/design but then you notice enough outrage and offensive language from those having it later on and realize it just stems from prejudice. A garden path thread, if you will.

It's a shame Sean wasn't around on this one, I wanted to hear him try to tie-in some Biden references when the presidential campaign metaphor came up.

It's a shame Sean wasn't around on this one, I wanted to hear him try to tie-in some Biden references when the presidential campaign metaphor came up.

I dunno about Obama, but I bet Sean could dunk on Shu Yoshida. 

Well kinda, I don't think that kind of thread would've existed because of moderation. It was a discussion that began couched in his earlier design work mixed with the idea that he isn't "actually" Scottish. It was the sort of thread where you read it thinking there are interesting ideas being discussed about aesthetics/design but then you notice enough outrage and offensive language from those having it later on and realize it just stems from prejudice. A garden path thread, if you will.

yeah i guess it is weird when an issue like that just comes out of nowhere 

I haven't even finished it and this may be my favorite episode yet.

Comparing the consoles to a presidential race is brilliant.  I also agree with the notion that Sony's being celebrated for doing the same thing as a reaction to Microsoft doing bad things.  I also forgot about the irony of Sony's 'McDonalds!' patent.

I laughed so hard when Chris said that games need to have ingame volume control that I almost dropped my phone onto my face because I was playing a game that lacks that exact feature while listening to the cast.

Re-listening to the episode!

Regarding the license transfer stuff for Xbox One; Microsoft says you can only give someone your game's license under two conditions:

1. You can only ever do it once per software license. So you can give it to your friend, but then they can never ever get rid of it.
  2. The recipient needs to have been on your friends list for at least 30 days.

Notice that this completely ruins eBay/Craigslist style transactions.

And regarding the PSX name: I love that the PSX and PSone were both actual Sony consoles considered to be at least somewhat separate from the original Playstation.

Have any of the guys on the podcast spent any real time with the 3DS?

Yeah, I'm always a bit disappointed that Jake doesn't play the 3DS, and am reminded of it every time they don't mention 3D Land or Luigi's Mansion 2 when talking about new Nintendo stuff..