melmer

The Last of Us

Well you have to get her out of the city because you've been asked/hired to get her out of the city. There's no magical property about her that I'm aware of. Yet.

Well you have to get her out of the city because you've been asked/hired to get her out of the city. There's no magical property about her that I'm aware of. Yet.

Ohhhh he has to bring them the girl to something something something.

I'm also hoping that the setting will make them spawn a few orders of magnitude less dudes to kill. And I hope they will not spawn from all directions like in Uncharted.

I'm also hoping that the setting will make them germinate a few orders of magnitude less dudes to kill. And I hope they will not germinate from all directions like in Uncharted.

FTFY.

I love these development videos. It's always fascinating to me to have a peak at the developer's process. Also, I'm incredibly excited for this game.

Even though it has been "scientifically proven" having an experience "spoiled" for you actually makes you enjoy it more, be aware that details pertaining to the ending of this game has apparently been leaked.

Though I'll certainly try, I expect my chances of getting unspoilt to to the end are small. Luckily I've become less nerd-ragey about this stuff as I get closer to my death.

New spoiler free development diary focusing on crafting and the UI, sounds like they're on the right track

kind of a shame this has comes on the cusp of next gen as i'm not being wowed by it at all, although i'm sure its going to be stellar

Comes out in less than a month 14/6/13 i bet there will be a heat wave that week, its always the way when these games come out you really want to lose yourself in but instead you are sat sweating in our pants

For me this is one of those games where I just know it's going to be a great experience so I'm not really following the media, trying to hype myself up, etc. It's a bit like when I get a JJ Abrams film: I just know it's going to be a bit of all right and that's all I need to know. Compared to some of the next-gen stuff we're starting to see it just can't compare so it's the storytelling and characters I'm expecting to make this special.

Well this is a snippet from an apparent upcoming Empire review:

“The Last of Us is not just the finest game that Naughty Dog has yet crafted and an easy contender for the best game of this console generation, it may also prove to be gaming’s Citizen Kane moment,” reads the review, “a masterpiece that will be looked back upon favorably for decades.”

Also it may cure all disease, and feed the starving children.

how did you guys not know it was a zombie game? maybe there has just been a lot of specifically targeted marketing because i heard about this game on the walking dead game forums, i guess it was probably put there by sneaky marketing guys 

I read a conversation today about how Gamespot's review of this game is "garnering a lot of hate".

I've not watched video reviews for games in maybe a couple years. So I went and checked it out to see what was up.

Everyone's complaining about the score or whatever, but THIS BLEW MY MIND.
IT'S JUST A FUCKING PLOT SYNOPSIS READ OUT LIKE A HIGH-SCHOOL POEM!! Is this an April Fools Day prank? Is this what these are?? You're writing a review of it, buddy, not a romance novel!
There's like one line about combat, and another one about multiplayer. Who is this video for?? Is it for people at Naughty Dog? Was this a commission?

I seriously can't believe I went looking for a review of this game and found a dramatic reading of the back of the box. I thought these guys would've honed it down to a science by now.

Probably just me, everyone else continue talking about the game.

^^^ I have learned very thoroughly that Tom McShea and I approach games and gaming in very different ways.

how did you guys not know it was a zombie game? maybe there has just been a lot of specifically targeted marketing because i heard about this game on the walking dead game forums, i guess it was probably put there by sneaky marketing guys 

I saw the E3 Demo, was suitably interested and excited, and did not see another thing until I found out the reviews came out today. I literally learned today that it is a zombie game. I could not be more disappointed.

Right?! God they missed the mark with the fuckin' zombies. Damn.

This had better be the only review worth reading because now I will never know otherwise.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/06/the-last-of-us-review/

This one's pretty negative. The basic gist is "I thought they were doing something brand new with this one, but god fucking dammit there are medkits, there's crafting, there's flamethrower customisation, video games are still the same old shit."

EDIT- I actually find the growing trend of "Would've been better without guns" kind of annoying, cos I think it's an under-developed analysis of what's wrong with Bioshock Infinite and this game.

The summary is under-developed but I would say the review is anything but. It sums up my fears of what the game was going to be. I've still got it on pre-order because I want to be part of the hype on this one.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/06/the-last-of-us-review/

This one's pretty negative. The basic gist is "I thought they were doing something brand new with this one, but god fucking dammit there are medkits, there's crafting, there's flamethrower customisation, video games are still the same old shit."

EDIT- I actually find the growing trend of "Would've been better without guns" kind of annoying, cos I think it's an under-developed analysis of what's wrong with Bioshock Infinite and this game.

Yeah, agreed. Violence has its place and is effective when used well. In fact, that seems to be the main point of contention between good and bad reviews for Last of Us: whether or not the violence serves or detracts from the game.

It definitely feels like we're at a stage where AAA is butting up against its (current) creative boundaries. The writing, which is infinitely more flexible, is overshadowing the gameplay, which is still stuck in the hi-score seeking arcade style antics of 30 years ago. I say this more for Bioshock Infinite, not having played Last of Us yet obviously. But it's funny when reviews are like "crafting systems? yuck!." old staples just aren't cutting it anymore. Especially when you are getting attention from outside  the video game press.

Violence in aesthetics is takin beating from articles like this, but really I think the right conversation is how games are going for this mature, immersive story-telling without breaking the convention of being a super fun, action-packed toy-box.

I think that's where we are right now, and that's really what this article is ABOUT.