Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Torment: Tides of Numenera

They're probably going to publish stretch goals in a few hours. This is ridiculous. Anyone know if it is setting some kind of record?

Ah, damn it, I just had to. Even though I'm pretty sure this game won't be Torment, and I'm not yet convinced Brian Fargo knows what he's got himself into when taking on two projects of this magnitude (game-size, legacy, peoples expectations). And the whole 'fans as publishers'-thing, mh, waaaaaaaah - anyway, I'm in, and already enjoying seeing that number grow.

601, 602, 603...

Edit: The setting does sound very interesting, the potential to kind of include everything a creative mind can think up is quite intriguing. To handle this boundlessness well, again, different story.

613, 614, 615...

Oh man. I can agree with the concern about working on 2 fan published games at the same time, though WL2 will be finished first, and they'll have a system together, plus some ongoing funding from sales of that. Also, Monte Cook's successful Numera Kickstarter will hopefully provide rules and material to jump off from. 

Well from the video he makes it seem like all the writing and concept art for WL2 is done and those people aren't doing anything now, so I guess having those guys start working on something new seems reasonable if that is the case.

Edit:  and its funded.

This must be the fastest large project to reach their funding goal ever on Kickstarter. At this rate, maybe the highest funded game project as well.

I attribute the entirety of this Kickstarter's success to that kid in a suit.

He reminds me of Macaulay Culkin.

The kid in the video that neither one of us watched before pledging money.

:clap:

I'm in at $20.

I'm going to build a fort out of all the deluxe boxes I've pre-bought on Kickstarter.

I'm excited, but I would have rather have seen how Wasteland 2 turns out before giving them more money for a second project.

Yeah I mean I pledged for Wasteland 2 when Chris Avellone came on board. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to pledge for another Torment game unless they get another Avellone. Or the same Avellone, really. I don't care. Any Avellone will do. I also figured that even if Wasteland 2's story sucks, it might have fun tactical combat.. With Torment I don't even know if that would happen. The original Planescape is about as much fun to play as "taking out the trash" is a fun game to play, which is to say, it really isn't. I want a good story and as far as I can tell they only have one of the original writers on board and who knows if any of his stuff was the good stuff in PS:T. At least they've got Mark Morgan doing the music.

I'm excited, but I would have rather have seen how Wasteland 2 turns out before giving them more money for a second project.

This is how I currently feel.

Kevin Saunders, who was the lead on Mask of the Betrayer is on the new Torment team. Mask might by my favorite D&D game, and I think they did one of the best jobs handling game narrative morality, where you could often make a choice, and then choose the reason. I still feel a bit bad how honoring a deal turned out for ol' Kaelyn. 

Upon looking at the Kickstarter slightly closer, their "what are your stretch goals" thing says "we'll wait to talk about Stretch Goals until after we have reached our target funding" (I guess they weren't expecting more than a million dollars in a day  :D ) and also "planned Stretch Goals include adding more writing talent (including some names you may find familiar)" and given that they got Avellone for their last game and that familiar names might also mean other PS:T contributors, I'm feeling sad I didn't jump on a $20 preorder slot when I could've. Oh well. I'll probably end up backing it. That will be my... fourth Kickstarter (well, the fourth successful one - I backed some failures to make them feel better about themselves). These Kickstarters are starting to add up!

Also shit I just realized this is my fifth if you count Star Citizen, which I spend All of the Money™ on.

I backed this as soon as I got home and found out it was going on (side note: in a small way, it's kind of a bummer that these popular kickstarters are almost finished before they've started, leaving me feeling like a 29,381st wheel). As I voiced in the Wasteland 2 thread, I still don't really trust Brian Fargo to make the game he wants to make, rather than the game he thinks other people want him to make, but dammit, the games he thinks other people want him to make are the games I want him to want to make.

Uh, yeah. Also, looks like Avellone isn't part of the stretch goals (no surprise there). Instead, we get Tony Evans (yay) and Mur Lafferty (hmm) at $1,500,000.

I really hope they don't get Monte Cook on board. It was a little disheartening to see how much Chris Avellone seems to trust him, and even more disheartening that anyone wants him anywhere near anything, ever.

I really hope they don't get Monte Cook on board. It was a little disheartening to see how much Chris Avellone seems to trust him, and even more disheartening that anyone wants him anywhere near anything, ever.

Why?

Why?

As I understand it, Monte Cook is responsible for the "ivory tower" design school that made D&D 3.x such a divisive product. That is to say, many of the mechanics and systems he helped create for the new edition were intentionally obscure, obtuse, or nonsensical to prevent exploitation by advanced players, even though it made the game unplayable to newbies. Some people, especially on gaming forums like /tg/, think of his designs as fundamentally wrongheaded and have no faith in his abilities anymore. I guess Tibbles is one of them?

A lot of his work also laid the foundation for the decades of caster supremacy that many people think ruined D&D.