Erkki

Damn it, but computers have become really complicated

I'm glad you found your issue, but I still recommend getting that multimeter if you can.  Could be handy in the future.

Speaking of which, I need to find mine...

Keep an eye on harbor freights ads/clearance they sometimes put them up for free (now expired) just to get people in or with small purchase.  

A HF opened last year <2miles from me, been my favorite place to get tools from.  Unfortunately i still need to go to a Home Depot or similar for bulk hardware and materials

Keep an eye on harbor freights ads/clearance they sometimes put them up for free (now expired) just to get people in or with small purchase.  

A HF opened last year <2miles from me, been my favorite place to get tools from.  Unfortunately i still need to go to a Home Depot or similar for bulk hardware and materials

I have one of those near me too.  I drive by it on the way to buy groceries, but I've only been inside once and never bought anything.  I should go back, I have several tools I'm currently or will soon be in need of.

Harbor Freight, if you watch for sales, is genuinely fucking amazing on the tools you can get cheap there. 

Why is SAM, who already owns a multimeter, getting given advice on where to buy one cheap? How about some UK-centric deals, hah?

I don't even know how non-US people find deals. Do you guys have your own deal sites like we do?

I don't know, no one's advised me on it  ;(

OMG NEW PAGE! HOW EMBARRASSING AND EXCITING AND UNUSUAL!

:wtz:  :stan:  :miyamoto:  :hypnotoad:  :oldman:  :violin:  :eyebrow:  :kiss:  :gaming:  :woohoo:   :owned:   :frusty:   :devil:   :ancient:   :nuts:   :hitler:  :wtf:

Why is SAM, who already owns a multimeter, getting given advice on where to buy one cheap? How about some UK-centric deals, hah?

I was just chiming in on how much I like Harbor Freight.  Maybe you should move somewhere that has a Harbor Freight!

I didn't know people outside the US even had computers!

I don't live in the same city as my dads so I can't nick their stuff.

I don't know, no one's advised me on it  ;(

weird, simple google finds Hot UK Deals

Multimeter deals - nothing current but they do exist!

How come you guys don't have dads that just keep handing you old tools?

Also, love that green text Ben.

ive got some tools from my recently deceased grandfather that i share between 2 brothers and stepfather. But they are mostly wood working & extremely specific - but am one step closer to re-tiling all my bathrooms on the 2nd level with a badass wet saw.  

He also kept, i suspect, every nail, washer, or nut ever used or pulled out of something.  Dozen or so masonry jars of hardware, the nails are hammered straight-ish

I don't live in the same city as my dads so I can't nick their stuff.

No they have to hand it to you! You can't just take it, that would be so mean. There's nothing worse than a missing tool. NOTHING.

ive got some tools from my recently deceased grandfather that i share between 2 brothers and stepfather. But they are mostly wood working & extremely specific - but am one step closer to re-tiling all my bathrooms on the 2nd level with a badass wet saw.  

He also kept, i suspect, every nail, washer, or nut ever used or pulled out of something.  Dozen or so masonry jars of hardware, the nails are hammered straight-ish

My wife's grandpa recently died and we got a few 50s and 60s tools when they were pretty heavy duty. I don't know why stuff has to be so delicate these dfays.

You mean you can't Nick their stuff cause you were always Breckon it?

That's a good jake (joke), I rodkin (reckon).

Let's get back on topic here.

Last night I was watching a Giant Bomb video when I experience a BSOD. The machine then restarted itself and failed to pass POST, and went into an endless cycle of testing. Finally could get it to POST, but it wouldn't stay on the desktop for more than a minute or two. I tried unseating the GPU, I tried updating drivers. I ran chkdsk. Finally, I unseated DIMM No. 2 and managed to get stable.

Downloaded and installed MemTest86 on a USB drive, ran the test on DIMM No. 1, which I subjected to 3 passes with zero errors. Shut down the system, swapped in DIMM No. 2 into DIMM No. 1's slot, machine wouldn't POST.

Went to Best Buy and now I have 16GB of RAM instead of 8. The original pair is G. Skill, so I'm going to RMA the bad RAM and then probably offload the new pair to offset the cost of my 2x16GB DIMMs. Anyone in need of a 2x4GB pair of G. Skill Sniper Series RAM (1866MHz, 9-10-9-28 CAS)?

unfortunately my mobo still runs tri-channel ram (upgrades cant come soon enough)

that is some stellar trouble shooting though.  I've had bad sticks before and makes for serious aggravation

Noticed my computer whirring a bit louder than normally last night. It seemed to even out back to normal after a few minutes of use though. My temps were normal but I'm gonna dust out my case tonight anyway. Concerned it might have been a fan (all stock from the case) or a hard drive (of which I have one).

I've been asked to build a nice slim but responsive work PC build together for someone they wanted a mini itx tower so i put together this build 

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/pq7vcf

1stly I'd like opinions on that as a reasonably future proof and reliable build for someone who wont game on it.

2ndly If anyone could offer any advice on slimline slot loading dvd's id be extremely grateful

part picker lists this

EVGA Slim Slot Load 8x DVD Rewriter for EVGA Hadron Chassis

as compatible however i'm nervous as the it is listed as being specifically for one type of chassis the only other option i can find is this more high end

Panasonic UJ265 Slim Slot Loading x6 Blu-ray BD-RE Writer 12.7mm

but really they have no need for the extra functionality so its money i'd just be spending for compatibility's sake though i suppose it will do them no real harm.

Day 62 of my Logitech odyssey, I've been informed that even though I was promised my new mouse would ship out last week, unfortunately stock was low and it didn't, and for some reason now the claim has to be re-approved by the warranty department again before it will ship out. 

This is crossing over into Monty Python levels of customer service ridiculousness. 

Man, that sucks. I'd say that I won't buy Logitech on principle (because reading this, I honestly feel like they don't deserve my business), but they have a couple of specific mouse configurations that unfortunately no competitors copy so it's hard to find a direct alternative to my latest mouse. I'd happily buy a Steelseries or Razer or whatever if they had what I like.

I have absolutely no insight into slot loading disc drives. I would say that configuration is a little overkill for non-gaming applications, unless that work involves video rendering or Photoshop. If your friend/client wants/needs to go cheaper, I'd say you could comfortably downgrade the CPU to an i3, use the stock cooler (granted height isn't an issue in that case), and drop SSD to leave a still very snappy PC for regular computing tasks.