Erkki

Damn it, but computers have become really complicated

I've been using MSE for years now and never had a problem! At least not that I'm aware of. D:

I think MSE has great user experience and free is hard to beat, but the file detection rates are not great. They used to be in the high 80 percents, I think they're now better but not very comparable to paid products.

Fair enough. I haven't had problems for a long time, like I said, but it's entirely possible I've just been super lucky.

Grrr, I'm having more issues with file types and Lightworks. It doesn't like certain .avi codecs. But apparently this is common to a lot of high-end editing software suites, which I find weird. If VLC Player can handle it, surely expensive bits of kit like this should be able to?

I don't know how the current version handles, but the free version used to be (particularly) limited regarding the codecs it accepted.

Fair enough. I haven't had problems for a long time, like I said, but it's entirely possible I've just been super lucky.

This was kinda my viewpoint, I remember for a while the consensus of option was MS SE wasn't a bad piece of software, but I think though in view of the fact stuff was clearly getting through I'm going to have to review it. I liked that it was so unobtrusive but really if it's detection rates have slipped as much as those tests suggest I don't think I can keep using it.

Currently installing Avira antivirus which seemed to be the the top performing of the free antivirus overall, although it seems Avast is doing quite well with its latest update too so might try that out when I'm next asked to do a health check on my parents pc.

On that subject it worries me occasionally how easy it remains for a PC to get infected, if I'm relatively tech savy but still run into these problems then my parents who lack that knowledge (and whom I suspect ignore my advice to run a quick scan daily) seems far more vulnerable.

I don't know how the current version handles, but the free version used to be (particularly) limited regarding the codecs it accepted.

As far as I can tell from the forums, the codecs aren't nerfed for the free version at the moment. I think they only started charging recently anyway, so that may have coincided with them improving their codec... code enough to do so. At the moment I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt as I'm working with some (relatively) weird old avi's, but I still don't understand why VLC can handle everything and this can't. If I get a nice new camera at some point, I'll definitely be keeping a close eye at how LW handles the codecs before committing to it in any way.

After the close call of almost getting my pc infected by one of my regular Webcomic sites I've been thinking that in a way they are comparatively one of vulnerable site I visit. Specifically it's the habit many of them share of using ad banners to generate revenue that worries me, iirc banner ads have long been a prime way to spread viruses. That coupled by the fact they are often run by tech amateurs.

So I've been thinking would a RSS app on my ipad be any safer than visiting the sites themselves?

After the close call of almost getting my pc infected by one of my regular Webcomic sites I've been thinking that in a way they are comparatively one of vulnerable site I visit. Specifically it's the habit many of them share of using ad banners to generate revenue that worries me, iirc banner ads have long been a prime way to spread viruses. That coupled by the fact they are often run by tech amateurs.

So I've been thinking would a RSS app on my ipad be any safer than visiting the sites themselves?

It probably is, in the sense that AFAIK there is nowhere near the volume of malware out there for iOS and Android that there is for PC, so any ad banners that have bad content are probably going to be aimed at the PC. iOS in particular does a lot of work to partition off each app from each other app, so long as you don't jailbreak, so you're 'safer', but only until bad guys start really working on iOS, at which point it's only a matter of time. There's malware for it out there, but the same tight controls on App Store content that a lot of people hate (because of the limitations it puts on their device) also help prevent malware from getting to a non-JB'd phone or iPad.

That being said, take care with your tablet as well. If you jailbreak (nothing wrong if you do, just be aware of the risks), be very careful what you install off non-Apple/Google stores like Cydia. If you're on Android, disable the installation of unsigned APKs unless you know you need to do so and got the APK from a trusted source. Keep features like Find My iPhone/iPad on at all times. Back up frequently, all that jazz.

You could also use tools like AdBlock and NoScript to stop banner ads on your PC browser. If the ad doesn't load, it's not going to hurt you.

You don't even need an extension to disable scripts by default in Chrome. That's what I do and it works pretty well, also to stop weird autoloading videos on websites I don't like very much.

What both jedi & johncole say pretty much matches up with my own expectations regarding what steps to take.

I use chrome atm so sadly NoScripts not a option & I've heard Adblock s developed into a bit of a resource hog over the years, so I had a quick Google for alternatives. do either of you or anyone else have any experience with ublock? It seems to be positioned as a low footprint alternative to adblock but i don't know anyone who's actually used it so if you or any other thumb has any first-hand knowledge of that it would be groovy, but until then I'll just hope a combination of switching off the scripts off in chrome and the Avira Browser Security extension should keep me relatively safe.

Actually that remind me, I'm actually pretty happy with Avira so far, it managed to find a couple of thing MS:SE missed and which neither Malwarebytes or Spybot S&D found (minor ones but still) .

If you go to Privacy Settings in Chrome, you can set scripts to not run by default. Then, whenever you're accessing a site you can manually enable scripts if it's a site you trust. It sucks at first but after a few days the whilelist will probably cover most sites you use regularly.

I don't really have a problem with Adblock, personally.

Adblock Plus can be a little bit of a hog on Firefox, yeah, but I run with plenty of RAM, so it doesn't bug me unless I'm on a prolonged session.

I know we've discussed password managers in this thread before and I'm still a big fan of LastPass, there's a promo going on right now that'll give you a free year of premium (which amounts to mobile access to your library in addition to the desktop access, the latter of which is normally free) - http://slickdeals.net/f/7157234-free-year-of-lastpass-premium?src=pdw&v=1

I really love Lastpass and if you do a lot of mobile browsing the premium account is really useful.  I don't know about iOS but the Android app can fill in your username and password in other apps such as the Chrome browser.  You can lock access with a pin that will require re-entry if you haven't used it in a while.  The autofill doesn't work correctly 100% of the time unfortunately, it depends on the site.  In those instances I usually end up copying the password and then pasting it in myself, which still saves time compared to manually typing it in.

Thanks a lot, Jon! I've been using LastPass for a while now.

Chrome 64-bit launched on the stable channel just recently, and it is noticeably faster and more stable. Unfortunately, because I am insane, I do not focus on that, but rather on how the way certain fonts are rendered has changed and it is annoying as fuck.

How's Flash and Java functionality?

It seems rock solid. I've gone to several different sites, as well as a few testing pages, and found no observable difference in performance or stability.

The install is really smooth, too. I was expecting this link to install a 64-bit client alongside my 32-bit client, leaving me to uninstall the latter and migrate settings, but it installed quietly in place on top of the previous client, with the only evidence that it's 64-bit now being that the Task Manager doesn't flag it as "chrome.exe *32" anymore. Color me impressed.

Except the fonts. Fix the fonts, Google.

A good 64-bit client might be the thing that drives me off Firefox and on to Chrome. But the font thing would drive me nuts too.

64-Bit fonts, the next generation of typography, exclusive to Google Chrome.

edit...really, a new page for this post...dammit

It seems rock solid. I've gone to several different sites, as well as a few testing pages, and found no observable difference in performance or stability.

The install is really smooth, too. I was expecting this link to install a 64-bit client alongside my 32-bit client, leaving me to uninstall the latter and migrate settings, but it installed quietly in place on top of the previous client, with the only evidence that it's 64-bit now being that the Task Manager doesn't flag it as "chrome.exe *32" anymore. Color me impressed.

Except the fonts. Fix the fonts, Google.

Vine works for me now! Yayyy!

post-24580-0-93445500-1409239972_thumb.jpg

Ladies & gentlemen I present to you a demonstration of why you should clean your pc's air filter regularly!

I haven't cleaned my PC since I rebuilt it in May, but today the fans started to make weird noises so I opened up the case to find out why......

The filters have evidently been doing their job(perhaps a bit too well) because the rest of the case was pretty clean

Hey dorks, can anyone recommend a decent microphone for general voip gaming purposes? I'm currently using the microphone bit of an old logitech headset with a separate pair of headphones for audio, but my friends complin that they can hear a lot of background noise/breathing. I still like my headphones so I'd just want a little lapel mic to clip onto the wire.

And also I'm thinking about finally adding a disc drive to my computer. Is this one quality?

Blue make some really nice quality microphones, the snowball is their entry level product and I've generally heard nothing but good things about it. If you really want to splash you can do what I did & get a Yeti, although I can really only justify that because I spend a lot of time dictating.

http://www.bluemic.com/snowball/

http://www.bluemic.com/yeti/

Edit: whoops missed the whole part about you wanting a clip on mic