Rxanadu

How do I contribute to this forum?

Contributing to a forum is really just about being a member of a community. Like many other facets of life just showing up with consistency is one of the most important things. BTW no amount of forum pontificating is going get you into the industry... If post count on internet forums where counted for anything I would head some division of EA by now.

Companies just don't want to hire socially inept weirdos or sociopaths.

Dammit, now I'm never going to get into the game industry. But who's going to write the next Kane and Lynch game?

Honestly I think we're all shocked there were two of them

Interestingly, I got a freelance programming job in part due to knowing someone through a forum. The forum was about a completely unrelated subject.

(I used to be a lot less annoying on forums, and hence more employable.)

I have totally turned out to benefit career-wise by posting on forums about vidjagames.

I don't think that would have happened if I had been doing it for that reason rather than just "good times" though.

Dammit, now I'm never going to get into the game industry. But who's going to write the next Kane and Lynch game?

Whoa whoa whoa, way below the belt. I love Kane & Lynch. I just wish someone would make a really good game about those dudes. I'm pretty surprised, actually, that two games have already been made. A third is totally possible down the line. So I'll have no more snippiness from you, sir!

Apparently Kane and Lynch are in Hitman. Best you're gonna get!

Whoa whoa whoa, way below the belt. I love Kane & Lynch. I just wish someone would make a really good game about those dudes. I'm pretty surprised, actually, that two games have already been made. A third is totally possible down the line. So I'll have no more snippiness from you, sir!

Sorry, sorry... I meant Far Cry 4

Yeah, I really liked K&L 1. The sequel I didn't finish, but liked well enough for the bit I played. I'd be interested to see what may happen with a third.

To be honest if you're really interested in effectively networking you should probably be on twitter and not forums. I mean this is a good place to come to actually talk about video games if that's what you're interested in but I don't think it would be a strong networking tool really. Not in the modern world where people have created entire complex social networks in order to network.

Really what you get here is good discussion and insight into the medium you're interested in.

To be honest if you're really interested in effectively networking you should probably be on twitter and not forums. I mean this is a good place to come to actually talk about video games if that's what you're interested in but I don't think it would be a strong networking tool really. Not in the modern world where people have created entire complex social networks in order to network.

Really what you get here is good discussion and insight into the medium you're interested in.

I'd disagree with this, actually. Being part of a community makes you far more valued than just being another random voice in the Twitterverse. I've been to several gaming events and chatted to (and even befriended) several "gaming industry" types through this forum. Probably helps that I'm in a major city, though.

When I joined this forum, I was nothing but a giant loser who played too many video games. Now, I am one of the greatest ever artists and my name is synonymous with the surrealist movement in the early 20th century, and I owe it all to this site. This forum has allowed me to contribute in a way that I never before dreamed possible. People stop me in the street and say "hey, your contributions on the internet web community Idle Thumbs were some of the best I've ever seen, man". My art was never taken seriously before I joined the forums, which created outreach avenues in my key demographics.

My advice about contribution is to contribute with your heart, and not your head. Once, my pal Salvador Dali and myself were viewing a small exhibition by our good friend Yves Tanguy, and he turned to me and said "Max, Yves will never reach our level in the art world. And do you know why? Because when he uses the internet and contribute on video game forums, you can tell that he isn't contributing authentically". Those words have always stuck with me. They also explain why no one likes Yves Tanguy.

I hope this advice has been helpful to you, and may you contribute as beautifully as anything nature could possible create.

- Max Ernst,

Dead German Surrealist, Forums Contributor

I think 19 posts is a little below contributing. :devil:

(But maybe that's the surrealist part.)

Considering I died in 1976, I would consider it a pretty good effort and I don't appreciate you smearing my contributions.