Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Thumbs 84: Nineties Cockpit Freakout

Halo isn't a stealth game, but I've always liked how the enemies are nonetheless limited by their "perception", and that you can surprise them, even in the middle of a firefight, by keeping out of their line of sight and getting around their flanks.

You wouldn't really expect it, but stealth is a huge part of the Halo sandbox, especially in the multiplayer. Some of the inventive subterfuge players will use against eachother is really splendid. (The hologram, for example, is all about trying to engineer convincing illusions to distract and fool your opponent, it's definitely the most fun armor mod to use.)

As for Nier, It's worth pointing out that the japanese version of Nier actually features a young, attractive male cast as a brother instead of a father. Father Nier was created for the west!

Nier is pretty awesome though, and i love that soundtrack. (The songs are sung in invented languages meant to sound like modern languages with an additional thousand years of linguistic drift, to fit with the setting of the game.)

Sad that it was Cavia's last game, it was a really interesting action rpg. (With a colossally depressing story.)

Edit: (Also, i hope you did at least one NG+ run, the game changes quite dramatically, with further runs beyond that getting different endings and eventually culminating in a pretty flipping great twist.)

Nier is tremendous! Worth the time it takes to get to the good stuff. If you don't think you will ever play it you should at least wiki the NG+++ shaft/glorious moment.

(deleted some stuff cause link not working)

They only mentioned the video, but Star Citizen comes with a list of Molyneux level promises to go with the 6.8 million dollars they raised. Supposedly there is going to be flyable capital ships including corvettes and carriers. Ship boarding, the ability to knock out a bigger ship's thrusters then user a collar to dock with them and cut open their door. Then you can board the ship, fight the crew in first person combat. Fight outside the ship with magnetic boots attached to the haul. Or even fight in zero gravity, because space. Then you'll need to repair the ship to steal it or else the inside will be depressurized making it slow to respond. Basically the feature creep is being designed by a 12 year old, yes.

Given that it's the Crysis engine and that they've already got "walk around in ships" working... I'd say they aren't exactly promising the moon. Just add the Crysis guns to the walk around in ships part and you're good to go.

I'm going to fall on the side of being more than a little incredulous at the promises they've been making.

I'm going to fall on the side of being more than a little incredulous at the promises they've been making.

Oh it seems ridiculous. I hope the core at least ships because it looks like what I would like. But yeah the project seems insane.

The huge orchestra synth stuff has always sounded bad, but nobody seems to care a whole lot.

God I miss the Mass Effect 1 music.

Dude, yes! The Mass Effect 1 soundtrack is probably my favorite soundtrack from a triple A title. The sequels had their moments, but they got weighed down by the bombastic orchestra stuff.

So what was the name of the game/software that was discussed in the break, with the Chinese family emigrating to New Orleans and the benefit of healthcare to longevity?

I didn't hear it named at all.

That would have been Real Lives.

I will reiterate everyone now: the fake Latin singing is horrendous. When Blizzard did it in War3 it still had some charm in it, but by gum everything else is usually horrible. Well, at least people have stopped using Oh Fortuna or the Requiem for a Dream orchestral version in their trailers...

There is one circumstance where I will still accept the use of Lux Aeterna: when you are showing a character being laid low by their own obsessions. If you're just trying to be epic then, no.

Any fake-Latin vocal track in video games works much better if mentally replaced with One-Winged Angel.

(By "works much better" I mean "makes things funnier".)

I liked Yahtzee's comment about Cortana.

Would Cortana have used less processing power over the years if they'd maybe put less polygons in her big fat perfectly sculpted ass?

So... in Halo 5 she will also get nipples and boob physics? (Or does she already have boob physics?)

halo_4_the_evolution_of_cortana_hd.jpg

Whilst playing the game I kept imaging master chief hunched over one those holo-consoles masturbating angrily, staring point blank a hair's breadth away from his ai partner

In that vein, I can't believe one of the last scenes of Halo 4 seriously had this dialogue exchange:

UNSC Person:: "I'll let you have the deck to yourself."

*beat*

Master Chief: "[Cortana] said that to me once."

In that vein, I can't believe one of the last scenes of Halo 4 seriously had this dialogue exchange:

UNSC Person:: "I'll let you have the deck to yourself."

*beat*

Master Chief: "[Cortana] said that to me once."

He was referring to the "which one of us is the machine" thing! Not everything is about masturbation!*

*Most things are about masturbation.

Right now I'm listening to the Starcraft 2 soundtrack and the title screen music is making me think back to what Chris and Sean jumped on regarding my music question. Good lord. Which is weird because the in-game music is pretty damn cool otherwise.

Right now I'm listening to the Starcraft 2 soundtrack and the title screen music is making me think back to what Chris and Sean jumped on regarding my music question. Good lord. Which is weird because the in-game music is pretty damn cool otherwise.

Diablo 3 is especially egregious too.

Civilization V Gods and Kings.... This "Te Deum" is effin' beautiful. So some games do know how to use latin.

Aperi Domine
Intellectum Illumine affectum inflama
munda quoque cor meum ab vanis**

Cum invocarem exaudivit Deus iust'ae
Deus iust'ae Miserere mei
Audite haec omnes 
Gentes auri bus
Omnes qui habitatis orbem
Et quique terrignae et fillii 
Hominum in unum dives et paupur

O Deus iudicium tuum regi
Et lustiti am tuam 
filio regis ludica re populum tuum in iustitia

Te Deum Laudamus
Amen

I was thinking about this recently, and I think it is the music that draws me back to Civ 5 more than any other aspect of the game. It is just so pleasant and relaxing to listen to. Civ 4 also featured a pretty excellent soundtrack (I absolutely love the minimalism of the modern era), but Civ V's score really taps into that theme of the greatness of human achievements. I like how the new expansion is planning on playing up this aspect of the game where when your civilization creates cultural artifacts that get housed in museums, there will be a menu where you get to examine/listen to pieces of your civilization's greatness. Very nice touch!