Henroid

The Business Side of Video (Space) Games EXCLUSIVELY ON IDLE THUMBS

Yeah, Titanfall is one of the more promising titles in the next generation so far.  I remember people talking about how they hoped it would turn up for PS4 eventually so it's definitely a big exclusive for MS.

Sony's still got Destiny though right?

Real shame about the C&C studio, hope they find new jobs soon.

The Tiger Woods thing doesn't surprise me. The guy is a falling star and EA wants to make the best business move they can.

Also I feel bad for the C&C folks. EA also seems to be crazy.

In today's news, Sony decided to D-day their PS4 with some bad news via a new FAQ.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/

I love how, when explaining the release date of the PS4, under the "Europe" section they included Australia.

The Tiger Woods thing doesn't surprise me. The guy is a falling star and EA wants to make the best business move they can.

Also I feel bad for the C&C folks. EA also seems to be crazy.

In today's news, Sony decided to D-day their PS4 with some bad news via a new FAQ.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/

What is the bad news? I read through it and other than a dearth of games and a couple postponed features I didn't really read anything that I would consider bad news.

Yeah, I didn't see anything that really stood out as bad, except maybe a complete lack of titles that I'd like to play, but its launch so I kind of expect that...

Titanfall isn't Xbox exclusive, it's Microsoft exclusive. It'll be on PCs too. Yay!

That's what I meant by "Console Exclusive." Now I'll have to see if I can upgrade my PC in time, or if I'll finally break and get an X1.

Edit: That's nice that the PS4 is going to be the same price in US and Canada. It's about damn time, the dollars have been more or less in parity for quite some time.

Edit 2: Did we already know the hard drive specs? Dissapointing that they pulled the drive from a 6 year old Toshiba to throw in there.

Edit 3: PS Move controllers from the PS3 will work on PS4 as well.... interesting.

Didn't you know, Australia is in Europe, it's below Germany.

waaaaaay below Germany, and there's a lake between them

What is the bad news? I read through it and other than a dearth of games and a couple postponed features I didn't really read anything that I would consider bad news.

No external drives, No MP3 or Audio CD playing, Can't be used as a media server, Can't change online ID *, Can't upload videos to youtube (From a friend of mine, haven't had time to read through the entire thing yet myself)

*Seems to be changing the name of your account.

No external drives, No MP3 or Audio CD playing, Can't be used as a media server, Can't change online ID *, Can't upload videos to youtube (From a friend of mine, haven't had time to read through the entire thing yet myself)

Ah okay, fair enough. So is there no capability to play your own music on the system or is their Music Unlimited service the only option in the absence of mp3, cd, and media server functionality? If that is the case then that is super lame. From time to time I do like to put my own music on when I play a game and turn off the background music so this would indeed be a bummer. And I will never understand why they still won't let you change your online ID. I had no choice but to create a new one for my PS3 because it was impossible to edit mine to take the "420" off the end (curse you young Zeusthecat).

As far as the video uploading, it looks like you can upload videos to Facebook or live stream them to Twitch. This isn't something I really care about but it does seem kind of weird that there is no mention of the ability to upload to YouTube.

In terms of sports performance he is still top of the rankings, but in terms of licensing costs and marketing value I agree.

There's something to be said for honesty, but yeah, far too many of those FAQ answers were "No." The apparent MP3 / CD / Music Unlimited thing is really poor form.

edit: Although obviously FLAC rulez.

Yeah all that stuff.

Except the YouTube thing. I saw a friend of mine claiming that the "Twitch only" thing was bad for them, but it's like... it's actually good. YouTube has been turning into an increasingly hostile environment for streamers to upload content to. Twitch is like, the video game streaming service. It's popular for a reason and Sony went to them for a reason. So not being able to upload to YouTube is like... so fucking what?

The lack of mp3/CD/media server support is baffling. I use that stuff constantly.

The lack of mp3/CD/media server support is baffling. I use that stuff constantly.

There's a lot of people on the net going, "PFFT WHATEVS ALL I WANT IS VIDEO GAMES."

Not that I'm one of them. In fact the loss of that media stuff hurts me too, because it would've saved me a lot of trouble of setting some shit up.

It would be nice to just be able to export a video file and put it wherever the hell you want.

I haven't used that functionality since the first couple years of the X360, but I still think it bites that they excluded it just to push their own music service.

Oh, I didn't notice that when I skimmed over the FAQ. That's actually terrible (to me, at least) and a little baffling. I mean, I'm not an engineer or anything, but I wouldn't think adding capabilities like that would be too difficult, right? ...eh, I'm just talking out my ass. They probably had a reason, even if its a reason I dont like.

Yeah, Titanfall is one of the more promising titles in the next generation so far.  I remember people talking about how they hoped it would turn up for PS4 eventually so it's definitely a big exclusive for MS.

Sony's still got Destiny though right?

Destiny's going to be on both, and not on PC at the moment, and i think it'll have some exclusive junk on the PS4?

I actually use my PS3 as a media server, at least for files I couldn't be arsed copying to the network drive to be played by the Raspberry Pi, but honestly I think if you're serious about having a media server you could do a lot better than the PS3.

Okay so Nintendo has decided to sell the Wii Mini in the USA. Like this holiday season.

The only thing I can think of when seeing this news is that Nintendo is internally gambling on the Wii Mini boosting Wii U sales by way of consumers being able to compare things directly. "Wait, this new Wii Mini thing doesn't have any online capability. I guess this Wii U thing is better." Problem is, do consumers give a shit about that and will they buy more Wii Minis than Wii Us? This is going to be a really weird holiday season.

Watch this move confuse the market even more about what the Wii U actually is.

They initially launched the thing just in Canada right? I assume that was essentially a test launch to judge the viability of a wider release. Now the fact that it apparently did well enough for that to proceed is something I can't really explain...

It's probably counterproductive to their goal of making it as cheap as possible. Or at least Gamecube support is. Online support was probably dropped because online support for the Wii itself is fading away.