nikasaur

Comics Extravaganza - Pow Bang Smash!

Once you guys get the practicalities sorted, you should start a Comic Book Club thread (or one per book) so it doesn't get chopped up by other stuff. Speaking of which:

I can't believe I've not yet plugged Brian K Vaughan's online-only PWYW comic, Private Eye. It's on the 4th issue (out of ten, I think) and really good:

http://panelsyndicate.com

What's a good November theme? The first thing that came to mind for me was "family" however you want to interpret that, because of thanksgiving. However we aren't all American so other people might have other ideas for November.

I nominate Essex County, it's my favorite graphic novel and I talk about it a lot. I'm pretty sure it's available digitally, I know for sure that you can get it on Kindle.

It's at Comixology too.

Frankly, I can't think of any comic that would fit that theme, would American Elf count? He didn't really have a family at the beginning, did he?

My almost-complete Storm collection arrived today. I'm only missing "The Dallas Paradox" as hardcover, because the Don Lawrence Collection didn't have that one so I will have to look for that one somewhere else.

Either way, I have a lot of catching up to do because I never read any of the non-Lawrence Storm comics.

How is Storm nowadays? I don't read Eppo, but I liked reading Storm when I was young. Liked Trigië as well!

I just read the last Storm by Don Lawrence. It was weird with the real life links that were introduced (i.e. "Google Pandavre" search). I don't really like the Neumann story line, it is a bit of a mess, but luckily it's over now. I wonder what "De Navel van de Dubbele God" will bring, hopefully it will be more self contained episodes as before.

I also read "De Banneling van Thoem", this one is by a completely new team. The artwork is ok, except for the faces which seem weird. The art itself looks polished/smudged, but not as terrible as these modern computer drawn comics. They story was mediocre, its based on some classic Greek mythology.

So I can't tell yet now Storm is doing post-Lawrence, but I will find out this week. But it looks like the comic is quite active again, for the past 6 years they have been releasing a new comic pretty much every year.

I'm more or less a DC newbie except for the cartoons and Comixology has a DC Batman sale, does anything here look good?

Not really, most of the new 52 books are pretty meh, and then some are just bad. Court of the Owls is the best thing there, but I was mixed on it (and I really like Scott Snyder).

I quite like the Batgirl comic from the new 52.

The art is nice and I like the more "personal" look at a superhero than I've been used to recently. Batgirl feels more like a story about Barbra Gordon herself than one about the Batgirl character whereas the Batman comics I've read have felt almost completely focused on the Bat rather than Wayne.

It almost reminds me slightly about Spiderman. (or at least the ones I read when I was a kid) 

My interest in DC peaked with the recent Scribblenauts game, it's database is amazing!

Of course, every comic character I find interesting either doesn't have their own comic or doesn't exist digitally... 

DC has Danny the Street, a sentient transvestite street that can teleport and create it's own stores and everything there is pink and frilly. When can I move in? 

I had no idea they had so many Green Lantern Corps, and amongst them they have... a sentient chicken pox virus and a whole sentient planet. Also Zoo Crew!

Zoo_Crew.jpg

PS: I heard about that Batwoman story... it was so sad... Come to think of it, I've heard a lot of bad thing from DC lately, which is why I'm so weary to buy any. :|

Syndicated comics like the ones DC and Marvel put out are the most esoteric things. Who can keep up with what's happening between the legions of cross-overs, parallel stories, alternative universes, reboots, etc, etc? I've always much more appreciated a good, clean, self-contained graphic novel.

Also, why is DC intent on making Joker look as hideous and wrinkly as possible, with a super stretched out face and twice too many teeth?

Also, why is DC intent on making Joker look as hideous and wrinkly as possible, with a super stretched out face and twice too many teeth?

He got his face skinned in Arkham Asylum a while back, recovered it a year later, and now he's wearing it stapled onto the musculature beneath.

My interest in DC peaked with the recent Scribblenauts game, it's database is amazing!

Of course, every comic character I find interesting either doesn't have their own comic or doesn't exist digitally...

DC has Danny the Street, a sentient transvestite street that can teleport and create it's own stores and everything there is pink and frilly. When can I move in?

I had no idea they had so many Green Lantern Corps, and amongst them they have... a sentient chicken pox virus and a whole sentient planet. Also Zoo Crew!

Zoo_Crew.jpg

PS: I heard about that Batwoman story... it was so sad... Come to think of it, I've heard a lot of bad thing from DC lately, which is why I'm so weary to buy any. :|

Yeah DC currently sucks, I remember when the Batwoman thing happened people were asking iFanboy (one of the better known comic book blogs) why they didn't post about it and the response was that internal problems at DC aren't news anymore.

He got his face skinned in Arkham Asylum a while back, recovered it a year later, and now he's wearing it stapled onto the musculature beneath.

No, even before, they drew Joker like that. And I don't mean that the skin is stretched, I mean his actual skull is a warped caricature. It makes him too grotesque, I feel.

So... they messed up Joker's face, won't let Batwoman get married and if memory serves me well in the latest reboot Starfire is sex craved maniac... And didn't Batman and Catwoman have wild sex on a roof recently and this somehow upset the fans? And this is from memory, I don't even dare to Google news about DC...

How is Storm nowadays? I don't read Eppo, but I liked reading Storm when I was young. Liked Trigië as well!

So I've read the next 2 episodes today: "De Navel van de Dubbele God" and "De Bronnen van Marduk". Unlike the spinoff I previously mentioned the art feels pretty much like Lawrence himself. All the little details in the crazy world design are still there and with the same drawing and coloring style. So I think Storm is doing well these days with the new team.

I liked the whole Pandarve story arc, Marduk on their heels, them traipsing around an illusive planet. Very cool.