Nappi

The Cave: Ron Gilbert's Double Fine Game (A Tim Schafer Production) (Not Double Fine Adventure)

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't necessarily put MI2 first. I don't know what my actual order is but I like 3 a lot more than many fans of 2 seem to. Then 2 is the one I've played the least so I should replay it. Is the SE version good?

I think I'm on the "Your first is your favorite bandwagon", I could never put MI 3 or 4 before any other game in the series mainly because I have them in Spanish and well... our voice actors are terrible. I'm sure I'd love Mi 3 in English, but I'm sure it's not easy to get your hands on.

Going back to the cave, the game is asking for 2 additional characters to round up the roster to 9

Has double fine ever done DLC before? and why not. They've just made a freemium mobile game. And it's my understanding that this game went gold some time ago so they could've been working on dlc since nov.

And who better than introducing Heroes from past adventure games like the psychonauts kid or brutal legends dude. How about the fucking Milkman (that would be amazing)

Bit concerning that some of the basics Double Fine usually gets so right are supposedly lacking, like, uh... animation. Hopefully these are twat-ups that'll be patched.

How is the PC point and click control scheme work with so much platforming? If the characters can intelligently climb, jump and move to where ever you point on the screen, that'll probably be the best way to play it

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't necessarily put MI2 first. I don't know what my actual order is but I like 3 a lot more than many fans of 2 seem to. Then 2 is the one I've played the least so I should replay it. Is the SE version good?

Yes, the SE is great! Unlike the first SE.

Seems like a fair first-impression to me.

Walker and the other RPS folks are fair, but I notice that things that bother Walker don't affect me at all. To quote Jake from two years ago:

I'm glad John Walker has such high personal standards, but man do I wish he would acknowledge that in addition to high standards he has very narrow and very specific personal tastes, and he reviews exclusively to them.

Prickly PC game reviewers! God bless 'em!

Did DLC even exist back then? In those days expansions were still on discs!

Yes, but it was often gratis. The Unreal Tournament bonus packs are DLC, and gratis, and only available for download. (but included in the GOTY version eventually)

Walker and the other RPS folks are fair, but I notice that things that bother Walker don't affect me at all. To quote Jake from two years ago:

Prickly PC game reviewers! God bless 'em!

So he's the kind of reviewer who never says: "While I do not enjoy "X", I can see how many would because "y""?

Yes, but it was often gratis. The Unreal Tournament bonus packs are DLC, and gratis, and only available for download. (but included in the GOTY version eventually)

But we didn't call it DLC back then, right? They were just called expansions as far as I can remember.

Did DLC even exist back then? In those days expansions were still on discs!

On the original Xbox you could download already down DLC from Live by the time Psychonauts was released. I think outside of PC games, Microsoft was the only ones with a console service actively doing this. Off the top of my head I know there were extra downloadable levels for both Warrior Within and Armed and Dangerous, although there was no purchase required in either case.

Geez, this play has gotten very quiet since the actual game has been released, either every can't stop playing it or you hated it so much you don't even want to talk about it.

This game is way to quiet... No music, and the dialogue is way to sparse between puzzles, I'd rather have the cave berate me for sucking and dying with the same lines that so much SILENCE! Also, I'm going to try to play with a controller, it seems a bit frustrating with the mouse and keyboard... Or the controls are terrible.

The puzzles have been good so far though... I didn't even know my character had abilities and I haven't had the need to use them yet.

EDIT: OH GOD! It's so much better with a controller! I also finally used an ability to solve a puzzle for the first time.

Well, I wouldn't say "no music" it's just a low ambient thing you barely notice or care for, it might as well be silence compared to any other Double Fine game. But seriously, I can barely hear or notice it.

Last night I played about 2 hours worth of the game and I'm enjoying myself. At this point though, the game hasn't had a chance to justify multiple playthroughs, but based on everything I've already seen, I'm really optimistic about where the game is headed. It looks great and all the allusions to the 'horrible' mystery of the Cave make me want to keep playing.

I don't like the game's obsession with threes, it seems each "level" is "solve these puzzles to get three items to get to the next level", the very first "puzzle" is choosing which three characters to take with you. :|

I haven't played the game yet, but that sounds less like an obsession with threes and more like a natural consequence of the decision of having three characters and three player co-op.

I played a bit this morning. At first I thought it would be like maniac mansion, then I got a bit of a lost vikings vibe. But after playing through one of the sections I'm a bit worried that player selection won't have the kind of dynamic impact I was hoping for. It seems like the main puzzles are designed around each of the character's story lines. Which means that rather than being a mix of 3 special abilities, the puzzles are designed around using that one character's special ability in combination with 2 other warm bodies. Hopefully it gets a bit more dynamic later, but I'm afraid that might be the extent of the puzzling relating to characters.

I like the aesthetic more than I thought I would. For some reason that trailer made me think it'd be a lot more like one of those cross-section books or a diorama, but it feels pretty much like any other sidescrolling platformer.

And while the narrator is quickly getting on my nerves, the NPCs seem entertaining. I get a bit of a muppet vibe from them.

:tup: so far