mikemariano

Waking Mars

I just started playing the latest iPhone/iPad game from Tiger Style Games: Waking Mars.

These are the creators of Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor. The team also includes Randy Smith of Looking Glass fame.

The controls are OK. They are similar to Spider in the way that you can flick your character (or the seeds he throws) across the screen, but this time your astronaut can take damage.

Also like Spider, the actual tasks are almost too simple, but so far there's a lot of atmosphere to compensate.

Did anyone play Spider? I completed it, but I'm mostly ignorant of whatever background story I was meant to pick up.

I played spider and completed it on the basic level, but I think (not sure) to suss out the whole story you need to get all the secrets or whatever which unlocks an extra level with some more backstory stuff.

I read a review of waking mars which indicates that there are parts which get kind of tedious in that you have to lug seeds from one part of a level over to another part and do so repeatedly. I'm vaguely interested in the game, but that review has got me waiting for a sale.

Did anyone play Spider? I completed it, but I'm mostly ignorant of whatever background story I was meant to pick up.

I got maybe half of the pieces of the story or so -- don't remember much of it, was a while ago.

I just started playing the latest iPhone/iPad game from Tiger Style Games: Waking Mars.

Hmm. What does this game remind me of ...

I'm loving Waking Mars! It's the first iOS game which I feel rivals DS/PSP games (significant because, as some of you might recall, I'm rather obsessed with handheld games), and heck, even "proper" console games.

The controls are unwieldy at times, but I reckon that would be the case on any handheld. The mechanics, on the other hand, are golden! The seed planting is simple, yeah, but watching the ecosystem grow and exploiting is so interesting. It's like this weird action game/management sim mash up that really shouldn't work, but somehow it does.

The atmosphere, setting, narrative, etc is great too. Also worth noting: the ethnic diversity of the characters. :tup:

[edit] also Erkki, mechanically it's nothing like Capsized, it's far more novel. I can see the similarities in the setting, but I honestly think Waking Mars pulls it off better.

It's the first iOS game which I feel rivals DS/PSP games

I've been having the same sort of feeling. The presentation and progressive nature of the mechanics really makes it feel like a more cohesive experience then most other mobile stuff I have played. I still think the controls are sort of junky. I don't necessarily think that's any fault of the developers I'm just starting to realize that touch can only do so many of the "existing game archetypes" well. SIde scrolling (of the non runner variety) does not appear to be a horribly strong genre on touch IMO.

I've been playing the Steam release. This game is awesome! I think occasionally it gets a bit repetititve but the cave system is way huger and more interesting than I thought. The progression feels a bit like Metroidvania, or at least I'm playing as if it was.

I like this game. Its pretty neat. Its is distressing that the female co-lead is basically a clone of my ex-girlfriend though. Really well polished and a delight.

I just completed it. I really enjoyed playing it. It's not difficult at all, and didn't get tedious either.

Really well polished and a delight.

Maybe you should have held on to her then.

Sorry.

i have not completed it yet, but the game sort of reminds me of vessel and that sort of reminded me of abes oddysee,

i like the puzzles so far just making combinations of the different plants to make the most biomass (or whatever it's called) i like manipulating AI in games

I also picked this up on Steam. I'm using a gamepad and mostly loving the controls on that device, although navigating the menu is a little awkward with it...

I'm getting pretty frustrated with the game, but I think I'm getting close to the end. I'm desperately trying to raise the biomass anyway I can, only to have another live form kill what I just created.

I'm going back and forth through levels trying to get seeds I couldn't pick before and hoping new ones have appeared.

I'm this close to quitting. :|

OK, I finally beat the game and there is one thing I don't get:

So, the special ending is them escaping Mars and the normal one is bringing Mars back to life? Shouldn't it be the other way around? Saving the planet seems like more or special ending to me.

I also found that weird and don't really get the ending. I was much more excited at the "bad" ending, and thought it was the good one until I realized I didn't have that achievement, and was confused. Then I was like, oh, the good one's gotta be super awesome!

actually, now that I think about it, I guess escaping IS the GOOD ending because the planet is supposedly dying regardless of what they want. The magma's cooling. "Reviving" the planet wasn't actually reviving it. It was just a last spurt of life? I... I dunno.

OK, I finally beat the game and there is one thing I don't get:

So, the special ending is them escaping Mars and the normal one is bringing Mars back to life? Shouldn't it be the other way around? Saving the planet seems like more or special ending to me.

The thing is that there's just not enough energy left, so any local revival will be short-term, more selfish than anything (letting the humans maximise their contact/learning potential with the aliens) while setting them free to re-seed a different world is the long-term better choice, probably.

Oh, I thought one of the MegaZoa would bring back more magma once I had enough energy. I guess I was wrong.