Thrik

Sim City V

Yet another game that is just using the title of the franchise. What's the statute of limitations on this sort of stuff? Is it because SimCity 4 was a while ago, or is it that the original was now long enough ago?

Seeing how fucked up the road network in all my Tropico 3 islands was, the curvy road announcement worries me a great deal. I have faith in Maxis, though, and believe that they can implement it less horribly than Kalypso.

"We've curved a lot of stuff in video games, but we've never been able to curve bulletsroads before!" *

* don't remember the exact quote

Yet another game that is just using the title of the franchise. What's the statute of limitations on this sort of stuff?
Wait, what? Am I missing something here? This sounds like a SimCity game.

I guess he meant that it is SimCity and not SimCity V.

I guess he meant that it is SimCity and not SimCity V.

Yes, that is what I meant. Contrary to the title of the thread, it seems like the game itself is simply being called SimCity, at least in the trailer and marketing releases so far.

It's called SimCity on Origin, and is up for pre-order now. With a 2013 release date listed. That is, frankly, stupid.

I bet you get some awesome stuff if you order yours soon.

DIGITAL DELUXE EDITION

Recreate a European inspired neighborhood in the center of your city! Place world renowned landmarks including the Eiffel Tower, Brandenburg Gate or Big Ben to help your tourism business in your city. Receive challenging missions, complete unique achievements and earn big bucks as waves of Sims visit the landmarks. Watch as the businesses, homes and vehicles around your landmarks start to take on the flavor, style, and architecture of those countries.

DIGITAL DELUXE BONUS CONTENT

• Signature Landmarks—Be the envy of your region by placing beautiful landmarks to give your city district a fresh new look. Sims will visit your city to see the beautiful wonders.

• Change in the Streets—Watch the streets, homes, businesses, and vehicles around your landmarks start to take on the flavor of those countries.

• More Ploppables—Move your Sims in style with new transportation. Double Decker buses from London, High-Speed Rail from Germany, and police and fire services from Paris.

80 bucks.

LIMITED EDITION BONUS CONTENT

• New Characters— Protector of SimCity MaxisMan vs. The Evil Dr. Vu and his henchman.

• Crime Waves—The Evil Dr. Vu is loose and will create havoc in your city. Normal police have their hands full against this Super Villain. The Evil Dr. Vu will solicit Sims to become his henchmen and carry out his dastardly deeds.

• Super Hero HQ – Place MaxisMan’s headquarters in your city to combat crime and keep your Sims safe. Upgrade with the Turbo Machine garage and The Reticulator landing pad.

• Evil Villain Lair – Place Dr. Vu’s Lair in your city to unleash a crime wave. As The Evil Dr. Vu commits more crimes, upgrade his lair with a special laboratory and a garage for the Evil VuMobile.

• Mystery Item – Everybody likes a good surprise. Enhance your city with this bonus item!

60 bucks.

I don't understand how you can announce DLC at the same time you announce the game itself. That's just greed.

I'm convinced at this point that there is a marketable demographic that responds to the phrase "downloadable content" as a thing to go "FUCK YEAH" over and will buy into. And marketing to that demo is more worthwhile than marketing to the rest of us who see through that crap.

I'm just amused by people defending EA earlier in the thread.

I never liked adding real-world stuff to my cities anyway (just like in Civilization, building the Eiffel Tower or Stonehenge like they were kinds of monument just feels dumb), so I guess I'm better off getting the cheapskate version. I prefer generic or fictional buildings and monuments.

I'm just amused by people defending EA earlier in the thread.

It doesn't change my opinion tbh. I'm not surprised (or annoyed) by the inclusion of DLC, really, because it's not the "OMG EA are making this? WE ARE DOOMED!" scenario everyone was on about. That's what I was "defending", not the fact that SimCity would have DLC, or be on Origin, or whatever.

[edit] and it's worth noting that the DLC is really just minor fun little things. You're not losing a significant chunk of the game, or anything.

Anyway, more info on the Glassbox engine. The simplicity/elegance is fascinating really:

"You should be surprised by how simple this is, and frankly skeptical of how you can build a SimCity game out of this," joked Glassbox system designer Andrew Willmott at GDC on Wednesday.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/164870/GDC_2012_Breaking_down_SimCitys_Glassbox_engine.php

I don't think anyone wasn't expecting this game to have DLC coming out its arse. Hopefully it'll be like The Sims 3 though, in that it'll be easy to completely ignore the fact extras exist (you could have spent your whole salary on new chairs and objects for that game if you wanted). The Sims 3 offered at least as much as past games despite there being extra available, so I'm optimistic that'll be the case here too. I hope. ;(

What I'm saying on the EA/money/DLC front is that 20 extra bucks (for an already 60 dollar PC-only game) gets you a few cosmetic options. Whether the game is good or not, that's shitty practice.

E: This is admittedly impressive sounding.

Edited by Orvidos

I like being excited rather than cynical about games too, and I try to avoid assuming the worst, but this kind of thing makes it hard sometimes. :P

It doesn't change my opinion tbh. I'm not surprised (or annoyed) by the inclusion of DLC, really, because it's not the "OMG EA are making this? WE ARE DOOMED!" scenario everyone was on about. That's what I was "defending", not the fact that SimCity would have DLC, or be on Origin, or whatever.

[edit] and it's worth noting that the DLC is really just minor fun little things. You're not losing a significant chunk of the game, or anything.

For me, it's not as much about the fact that there's DLC, but more about the attitude EA takes towards it. "Here's the game, aaaaand HERE'S how we're gonna make extra profit from it."

Maybe it's because it seems so... dispassionate? It's a very naive thing to request engagement and passion in such a corporate context, but this kind of presentation seems to actively go against the stuff we actually love about games.

I have no doubt that the team at Maxis either are super stoked to be making another one of these, or is stoked because they grew up with these games, and is now lucky enough to make the next one. But at least expose me to some of this passion, or show me what the actual game looks like, before telling me "If you give us more money, you will get a French firetruck!".

Yes, that is what I meant. Contrary to the title of the thread, it seems like the game itself is simply being called SimCity, at least in the trailer and marketing releases so far.

Sorry, misunderstood you completely. I'm an idiot. Thought you were complaining along the lines of "Why is this called X-Com when it's not X-Com, waaah!" :getmecoat

I don't understand how you can announce DLC at the same time you announce the game itself. That's just greed.

Two different production budgets, schedules and employees(mostly). I'm not sure why a lot of gamers haven't figured out the economics of DLC, but just because it's being made along side the game, it's not funded directly from the main production budget and usually involves several other employees that weren't part of the main production.

Since DLC is a thing now, companies can coordinate making extra content along side the actual production so that it gives staying power to your newly released product. Players can choose to buy in or not, but the feeling that it was content that would have been in the released game is just unwarranted; the "extra" content would not exist if they didn't charge for it.

Edit: I'd also like to add that the details on this game make me really excited. It's really sounding like all the stuff you imagined a modern Sim City game would do. It's like putting the sim back into Sim City... you can quote me on that. :shifty:

Edited by Murdoc