Ryam BaCo

lucaswhat?

once upon a time lucasarts produced fantastic, innovative games. now they're doing different things like cancelling sam and max 2, milking this very big cow called "star wars", firing a bunch of employees, blablabla...i think you know it all...

now i came across this internal memo, which is...hmmm...lucasarts.

[...]

In the eight or so weeks since I've been here, I've met and talked with many of you. And I'm going to get to all of you, believe me. But you need to know that I'm encouraged, amazed and inspired by the continued commitment and desire of everyone in this company to make LucasArts a better place. A place where we will make insanely great games that are the right insanely great games for the marketplace. Insanely great games that will sell to a broad consumer audience launch when they're supposed to and, at the end of the day, yield a profit for the entire company. Insanely great games that will restore the luster to the LucasArts logo so that when we, and our consumers, see it on our packaging and on our games, we'll all know that the Gold Guy is once again the mark of leading edge innovation, creativity and amazing fun.

[...]

nice try, mr ward, but

[...]

I encourage you, and demand of you, that you take an active role in pushing our own envelope. I promise, you will be listened to. But once you are heard, do something about it. Make a difference. Effect change. Make Battlefront, Galaxies, KOTOR II, Mercenaries, Republic Commando and the Episode III games the best that they can be.

[...]

source

i read star wars, star wars, star wars, star wars and...hmm...star wars???

but he's crying for innovation and creativity right before. that's strange. that's absurd. that's contradictorily. that's lucasarts.

lucasarts comes undone (i love using vocabulary from lyrics, btw).

Ryam, you're wrong. It's not star wars star wars star wars, it's Star Wars, Star Wars, Generic shooter, star wars.

I'm sad about the state of affairs of LEC, and I'm afraid they'll become a publisher of mainly star wars/generic games. I really hope not, hell,r emember when we looked forward to even Star Wars games? Back in the age of Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, and Xwing series? And even farther back, when they made like one star wars game and 4 original titles?

:eek: D'you guys think they'll end up eating themselves?
Enough with this rampant lewdness already!

That's NOT what I meant, lardbrain!
Of course it IS, and you know it to be true!

Enough with this rampant lewdness already!
That's NOT what I meant, lardbrain!

I'm sad about the state of affairs of LEC, and I'm afraid they'll become a publisher of mainly star wars/generic games. I really hope not, hell,r emember when we looked forward to even Star Wars games? Back in the age of Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, and Xwing series? And even farther back, when they made like one star wars game and 4 original titles?

To be pefectly honest, the Star Wars games I can play (ie. PC ones) that are forthcoming - Republic Commando, Battlefront, KOTOR2 and the LEGO game, all look pretty good to me. I'll probably end up buying all of them. Some even before the first price drop which is when I usually make my game purchases.

To be pefectly honest, the Star Wars games I can play (ie. PC ones) that are forthcoming - Republic Commando, Battlefront, KOTOR2 and the LEGO game, all look pretty good to me. I'll probably end up buying all of them. Some even before the first price drop which is when I usually make my game purchases.

I doubt I'll buy KOTOR2. Don't get me wrong, I loved the first one, but the sequel...I don't know, it just doesn't thrill me like the first one did. It all just looks the same.

After seeing Republic Commando in action, I'm considering buying it. Battlefront I'll probably buy because I need a new Xbox Live game to pass the time until Halo 2, and I've lost my copy of Crimson Skies :hmph:.

The thing with LucasArts and All the Great Games they Used to Make is that, yes, partially, you have to blame those guys in charge for not making adventure games (Yes, adventure games. That's what I assume when you guys say Great Games) but for a good reason. They don't sell. And that's the only thing those guys care about: money.

All right, so it's not a good reason for you, but hey, we live in capitalism, who listens to you?

Second, I think all the Good Adventure Makers who used to work at Lucasarts have quit (And many got fired :shifty: ). Tim Schafer and Ron gilbert, neither works there, but they're both arguably the best adventure creators ever.

I think that's why Lucasarts aren't making Great Adventure Games anymore. Beacuse they're literally not what they used to be.

It's been a while since a traditional adventure game managed to impress me. The Longest Journey is the last one that comes to mind, but even with it there was no wow to the third degree I experienced with Grim Fandango and DOTT and MI2:LR.

It will be a while before a game impresses me as much as Beyond Good and Evil has a week ago. I mention BG&E because it has impressed me in all the categories usually reserved for adventure games of yore. I do feel a little queasy about...

...the messianic aspect of the game, as if there is no other story out there... can't a girl save the universe without being The Chosen One?

I just started playing NOLF 2 and the game has managed to make me care about the characters in the very first intro mission, primarily the evil Asian girl -- establishing meaningful relationship between the player and the characters being something up until recently unique to the adventure genre. As far as I am concerned, between BG&E and this could-be-a-gem, as far as I am concerned there is no gap left behind by the death of adventure games.

Three cheers for Monolith. My samurai code of honour compels me to review this game to conclusively exculpate the culprits for the crimes against creative narration in the first incarnation of NOLF.

And for the record, Cate Archer's new hairdo is the sexiest thing I have ever seen on a computer game character.

:innocent::tup: :9~ :ancient:

The thing with LucasArts and All the Great Games they Used to Make is that, yes, partially, you have to blame those guys in charge for not making adventure games (Yes, adventure games. That's what I assume when you guys say Great Games) but for a good reason. They don't sell. And that's the only thing those guys care about: money.

All right, so it's not a good reason for you, but hey, we live in capitalism, who listens to you?

thats exactly the point that most people dont seem to understand. adventure games arnt being made, because they dont generate cash. why is that such an "evil" thing? look, i kno most of u guys think of lucasarts as an evil corporation, and u kno what, there is a degree of truth to that ... but well ... heres a good quote ... one of the head-honcho's at team17 (very cool guy, not the "generic accountant suit guy" like at LEC) said this when asked "why dont u guys make games other than worms?" ...

"i'd love to take the risk, but there are 80 employers here with families that need to eat. im far more concerned about their well-being than making innovative games"

... and thats what every1 forgets ... sure LEC could make some adventure games, but when they dont sell, screw thinking of the executives, but think about what would happen to the "working man". if LEC had released S&M2, there would be even more firings than what has already happend.

mind u though, im NEVER gonna forgive them for announcing, releasing screens/videos and showcasing (at E3) S&M2 and then canning it!

and i totally agree with Kingzjester ... those are my thoughts exact. the adventure genre is more-or-less dead, but games are gonna rip components out of it to make the rest of the genres more robust in terms of storyline. BG&E was certainly a great game that had more adventure than action. and now when i playing doom3 (kick ass game btw) i always think that it would be pretty cool to have a dialog-tree when confronting people.

even the adventure game legends arnt making adventure games anymore, tim schafer is making a platformer, and ron gilbert said his next game wouldnt be an adventure game ... but im positive that the spirit of adventure games will live in both projects.

SiN

...the messianic aspect of the game, as if there is no other story out there... can't a girl save the universe without being The Chosen One?

Ummm....The Longest Journey? :innocent:

BG&E annoyed me less in that regard than TLJ.

In Japan, you pretty much can't do fucking anything unless you're the Chosen One.