BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

For every hilarious joke comment there are just as many serious ones. These dang kids seem to have a really hard time figuring out the morph ball.

So the Nintendo Direct today was sort of butt! We got more Pikmin 3 footage and I guess you can buy New Super Luigi U as a standalone game for thirty dollars if you want to, but that's really all the interesting info there was.

Oh, also, I guess Nintendo has certain exclusivity with Sega now. Somebody's inner child is having their mind blown.

I can't wait for Wii U exclusive Alpha Protocol 2.

Don't even joke about that. If this were true, and I didn't already own the console, I would buy a Wii U for it.

If you buy Super Mario World in the eShop right now, you get 50% off Super Mario Bros. 2!

This is important to point out, because Nintendo NEVER does sales. Maybe they're learning!

I've noticed they've been having weekly sales on the 3DS and Wii U lately, which is cool. I got Dillon's Rolling Western and all the Guild01 for cheap, which is cool.

Hey, has anyone tried using the Wii U Pro Controller with the Virtual Console games? I've been considering getting one.

To promote Game & Wario, Nintendo created a website called Crowdfarter, as if WarioWare, Inc. is using Kickstarter to fund their new game.

I don't know if I'm comfortable with a megapublisher spoofing a website that game makers use to get around publishers, but I guess it's all in good fun...?

I finally bought a Wii U a few days ago and I have to say I really don't understand why everyone is pooping on this console so much. Miiverse is fun; being able to play on the gamepad or the TV is great; the games that I've played that use the gamepad and TV in tandem are mostly interesting and it seems like there's potential there; using the gamepad as a TV remote is handy; the UI is nice and doesn't barf ads all over the place. The internet browser is actually worth using -- I was playing Super Metroid and needed a reminder of where to get the grapple beam, so I just paused the game and brought up the browser and it had already auto-filled "Super Metroid" into the search field. I watched a quick Youtube video of a dude getting the grapple beam and then dropped right back into the game. It's not anything revolutionary, but it all just works nicely.

Complaints: the range on the gamepad isn't as far as I'd like; I can't take it into another room. I wish that all the old virtual console games were just already on there (it's kind of ridiculous that each game requires its own separate emulator). Gamepad battery life is less than optimal; I wish I could just turn off the screen when I don't need it, like when I'm watching Netflix or playing a game where I only need to look at the TV (there is an option to turn off the screen, but it only stays off until you press any button, which seems kind of pointless).

For the most part, though, I really like this thing. It's frustrating that it's failing and there once again won't be any third-party support, because if I had the option I'd prefer to play my games on the Wii U just from a usability standpoint. I hope they're at least pursuing indie eShop stuff aggressively (although the fact that you only have 32 GB of storage will probably keep the eShop from being as big a thing as it should be).

I think now that the PS4 and XBone are starting to become within grasp, the hopelessness of the Wii U is becoming increasingly apparent. I truly believe that the console would be totally viable if it had been kitted out with hardware suited to running the kind of games that will define the next generation. Instead it's destined to become a console that plays a small portion of current-gen games plus whatever Nintendo decides to release for it. Speaking of which, never mind third-party support — where's the fucking first-party support? Where are the games Nintendo fans like myself justify buying their consoles for?

But anyway, I can't see the Wii U's situation ever improving in terms of becoming a proper member of the next generation. I'm sure eventually it'll be a worthwhile purchase purely for Nintendo's first-party classics which'll hopefully eventually turn up, but there's no way it's going to be any more relevant than the Wii in terms of supporting all the third-party stuff PlayStation and Xbox owners will be enjoying.

It pisses me off that Nintendo had a chance to completely re-establish their credibility in terms of catering to non-casual gamers, but completely scuppered it with the bizarre decision to target a performance level equivalent to the Xbox 360 which game out 7.5 years ago. No matter which way you frame it, that was a foolish decision destined to fail.

So, the future? Well, the Wii U is selling like shit and it's looking unlikely that Nintendo will ever sell their initial stock — never mind future supplies. This is an Atari video game burial type fiasco. I think Nintendo's going to use their early start as a get-out clause and announce something else within two years that's a more credible next-gen console and try to retcon the Wii U as an extension of the last generation, dumping the Wii moniker entirely. I just can't see any universe in which the Wii U will be Nintendo's main focus for even half of the next generation (that'll be around 2017).

That is a harsh prediction, but you back it up with solid reasoning. I don't see it so gloomy, however. My prediction is still that the Wii U will be another Gamecube: small user base, no outside appeal, but still loved well enough to support Nintendo. Looking around, I hear so many people saying they'll buy a Wii U in a  year or so, when it's gone down in price and has a library, that it's easy to see it garner an unimpressive but life-sustaining audience after a desert year that's still to come.

In terms of keeping up with the Joneses: who are the Joneses? Put in other words: what role have third party games ever played on Nintendo consoles? It doesn't matter that they won't appear on the Wii U, since the only thing that has ever historically mattered are the first party games, and perhaps a few exceptions from Capcom. If Nintendo keeps building the Marios, Zeldas, Pikmen, Metroids and whatnots, the system will not only garner attention, it will be a good system. Nintendo is the only company who can and will get away with that. They will.

So, I don't think we'll see a new system two years from now. Nintendo is going to double down on the Wii U and suck it up until they can eke out a respectable existence, even if they have to put the onus on the increasingly popular 3DS (31 million units sold at last tally).

(I fully agree with you that they could've made different decisions and completely blew the marketing and lost 70% of their audience on both accounts, but if anyone can make that work, it's them. They've been in tougher spots.)

I don't agree with the gloomy predictions concerning the Wii U. Worst case, it'll be a Gamecube, and however you spin it, that wasn't a burial. I haven't got one yet, but when it's £199 with Pikmin I'll be there. I think the poor performance is down to the following three things:

1) Standard console post-launch drought made much worse by - 2) terrible marketing/communication of what the thing actually is, and 3) no absolutely killer app to demo the Gamepad.

The first one is par for the course with all new consoles. It's shit but I think it's inevitable.

Secondly, I agree, the marketing has been awful. It's difficult to know if it was complacent or just ill-judged. Keeping the Wii brand was a no-brainer, but the 'U' and hiding the actual console from view confused everyone. I've got friends telling me now 'oh yeah, that's like a screen for the Wii, no?' A simple '2' would have cut through the confusion. But even now they're not demonstrating the difference. The PAX clarification leaflet (http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8532/8590299559_2313c48190.jpg) sums up their backwards approach. Wii compatibility is great but not something to lead with - everyone's still got their Wii for Wii games. Tell them about the fucking amazing stuff they can do with the NEW console, then follow through with the double whammy that they can bin the old one.

But where is the fucking amazing GAMEPAD stuff? Joe Public doesn't know what a Pikmin is and it doesn't require the gamepad anyway. By all accounts Nintendo Land is fun but it's immediately complicated where Wii Sports wasn't. This might be a stupid question but, please, somebody enlighten me: where is Wii U Sports? Where is the golf with the pad on the ground? Why are we not catching baseballs with it, like we saw in the original demo videos? I don't understand why this isn't front and centre. What's the thinking behind that? Wii U Sports to attract the crowd, Nintendo Land to explain more complicated concepts and asymetric gameplay. ZombiU communicates the concept more succinctly than anything else. The closest thing to an instant crowd-pleaser is the ninja star throwing game on Nintendo Land. I makes me think 'damn, let me have a go.' Gamepad-centric games still don't seem to be forthcoming. Why is Mario 3D World not using it as an integral element? We've got the 4-player co-op already with NSMBU. I'm sure it'll be fun but, beyond off-screen play, the gamepad still has nothing that says 'Here! THIS is why you NEED this console NOW.' Nintendo fans will get it for first party games, as they did the Gamecube. Joe BestBuy knows the Wii brand and has now played a video game and enjoyed it - games have been demystified a bit. But Jesus, they need a Wii Sports and I can't work out why they don't just use Wii Sports!

The launch has been and gone, but the other two points are rectifiable. If they change pace now, it needn't be a Gamecube.

Cynical but possible reason they didn't use Wii 2: because their proper entry into the next generation is a year or two away. At this point, if I were Nintendo I'd be cutting my losses and immediately driving resources into a serious next-gen console more powerful than the PS4 and XBone, diverting resources from Wii U titles into that machine instead. The pad idea is blatantly a flop and has glaring issues with things like battery life. Maybe throw in some kind of deal for Wii U owners to make them feel less bad. But this is why I don't lead international corporations.

Equally possible: Nintendo has never used numbers to iterate consoles AFAIK.

Wii 64.

Edit. I disagree that the pad is a flop. And cutting loose and ploughing resources into a 'more powerful' console gets them nowhere. What would all that 'power' get them? Their online setup isn't a power issue. More power doesn't get third parties onboard without an installbase. MS and Sony have shown their next-gen cards and it's pretty much 'this gen with more polys, more digital and more restrictions'. The gamepad as an integrated gameplay tool is still an interesting development and will still be unique when PS4 and Xbone have launched.

The problem is they haven't shown the killer app yet, months since launch. Iwata says as much here> http://www.edge-online.com/news/iwata-nintendo-land-has-not-fulfilled-the-same-role-as-wii-sports/

And it doesn't appear to be on the horizon. Again, where is Wii U Sports?

Wii Stream.

It will be super online all the time, hence the name.

Nintendo coming up with a new console in two years is a bonkers idea and pure wishful thinking. I understand where it's coming from, but there is no universe in which Nintendo has ever abandoned their primary console, even if it is a mildly bad weather at the moment. Nintendo have the cash, the drive and the cultural currency to keep the Wii U afloat long enough to make it work. Making a new console with added horsepower is not the way they do things.

What could be in the cards is that they phase out the gamepad, which is kind of a lame duck. That's about as radical a conjecture I am willing to spew.

Wii 64.

Edit. I disagree that the pad is a flop. And cutting loose and ploughing resources into a 'more powerful' console gets them nowhere. What would all that 'power' get them? Their online setup isn't a power issue. More power doesn't get third parties onboard without an installbase. MS and Sony have shown their next-gen cards and it's pretty much 'this gen with more polys, more digital and more restrictions'. The gamepad as an integrated gameplay tool is still an interesting development and will still be unique when PS4 and Xbone have launched.

The problem is they haven't shown the killer app yet, months since launch. Iwata says as much here> http://www.edge-online.com/news/iwata-nintendo-land-has-not-fulfilled-the-same-role-as-wii-sports/

And it doesn't appear to be on the horizon. Again, where is Wii U Sports?

When I say flop, I mean in the sense of people being interested in it. I can't actually think of a single person outside of this forum I've spoken to who's been in any way excited about the fact that the Wii U's pad has a screen on it. Even I as a huge Nintendo fan am not interested in it, I just want some damn HD Nintendo games. A refinement of the Wii controller or even something more conventional would have been perfectly OK with me.

In all honesty, I'm more excited by the numerous uses of tablets and mobile phones that've started appearing in upcoming games — both the PS4 and XBone will have apps that make such integration trivial for developers. It can be interactive like using the tablet to play Battlefield 4 as an overhead commander with a satellite view of the live action, or passive to provide secondary information to the player. You could even put it on a dock if you wanted, like a little second monitor on your coffee table.

No, I'm firmly of the opinion that Nintendo has missed the mark here. The Wii was a master stroke of identifying something the public wanted and immediately flocked to despite the console's other hardware limitations. The Wii U isn't following in its footsteps and I can't see the public's interest increasing. Microsoft and Sony have pretty much done what Nintendo should have done, which is to build on the clear interest people have in motion/gesture-based gaming while making it more relevant to traditional gaming interaction (ie: integrating with a conventional pad).

Despite all this die-hard Nintendo fans will get one either way, I know I will just to get me some HD Mario Kart and shit. :tup:

I agree with the sentiment that the gamepad is a flop. It just is't nearly as innovative as motion controls were for the Wii. By the time it came out Microsoft had already implemented Smartglass (which has been pretty lame in my opinion) and Sony had already done somewhat similar stuff with the PS3/Vita. To make matters worse, they only used a 480p screen without multi-touch support. I think most people, even the casual crowd, just won't get excited by the gamepad when they already have phones with at least 720p resolution and all of the modern features they have come to expect out of a touch screen.

As far as enhancing gameplay is concerned, it disappoints me that Nintendo's main focus has been on off-screen play using the gamepad. This is something they already did with the Gamecube and Game Boy Advance. In fact, I had a friend that had some Pac Man game for Gamecube where 3 people played as the ghosts on-screen with a limited field of view around their ghost and the other person played as Pac Man on the Game Boy Advance (and it was really fucking fun too). Having had these experiences from Nintendo before, I cringe every time I hear them tout off-screen play as a new feature. Maybe they will eventually do something truly innovative with the screen but so far I feel like they are just re-hashing old ideas and not really offering anything new.

That being said, it looks like some games are starting to materialize. I am starting to become mildly interested in a few upcoming games (notably Pikmin 3 which Miyamoto seems really excited about and in turn is kind of making me excited) but not interested enough to want to buy the console yet.

The only thing out of the Wii U at E3 that looked really especially exciting to me was

That, and probably Smash, will be the things that sell me a Wii U.

I thought Bayonetta 2 was looking really rough, i have a number of concerns with Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 looks cute but does not sell me on the system, and Wind Waker HD has been confirmed to not reintegrate any of the cut content. (Allegedly those dungeons ended up in later Zelda games, probably Twilight.)

Mario Kart 8 totally looks like another Mario Kart game, except when it looks like F-Zero and again surfaces the reality that i'm going to snap if they don't revisit F-Zero one of these years.

Super Mario 3D World seems like a weird thing to me, it feels like Nintendo missing the point of their own game. 3D Land was a lesson in the value of the 3DS' stereoscopy. With that locked camera, you could not wiggle the perspective around to gauge distances, you had to trust the screen's sense of depth to make accurate jumps. Now they're putting the locked camera on a system without the stereoscopy and i've already heard a lot of people say that it's hard to make accurate jumps in that game.

Not particularly excited about the Wii U, and now there's all this news of third parties dropping support for the thing. Rough seas ahead.

I agree with the sentiment that the gamepad is a flop. It just is't nearly as innovative as motion controls were for the Wii. By the time it came out Microsoft had already implemented Smartglass (which has been pretty lame in my opinion) and Sony had already done somewhat similar stuff with the PS3/Vita. To make matters worse, they only used a 480p screen without multi-touch support. I think most people, even the casual crowd, just won't get excited by the gamepad when they already have phones with at least 720p resolution and all of the modern features they have come to expect out of a touch screen.

As far as enhancing gameplay is concerned, it disappoints me that Nintendo's main focus has been on off-screen play using the gamepad. This is something they already did with the Gamecube and Game Boy Advance. In fact, I had a friend that had some Pac Man game for Gamecube where 3 people played as the ghosts on-screen with a limited field of view around their ghost and the other person played as Pac Man on the Game Boy Advance (and it was really fucking fun too). Having had these experiences from Nintendo before, I cringe every time I hear them tout off-screen play as a new feature. Maybe they will eventually do something truly innovative with the screen but so far I feel like they are just re-hashing old ideas and not really offering anything new.

That being said, it looks like some games are starting to materialize. I am starting to become mildly interested in a few upcoming games (notably Pikmin 3 which Miyamoto seems really excited about and in turn is kind of making me excited) but not interested enough to want to buy the console yet.

I think you're conflating off-screen play with asymmetrical multiplayer.  The GameCube game you're referring to was Pac-Man Vs, essentially the same thing as the "Luigi's Ghost Mansion" mini-game in NintendoLand.  That's asymmetrical multiplayer, and it *should* be the Wii U's selling point, since it's the only thing the Wii U can do significantly better than the competition (other than "have Nintendo games.")

Off-screen play is when you can turn off the TV entirely and just use the Wii U gamepad like a non-portable Gameboy.  It's arguable the polar opposite of asymmetrical multiplayer, though I agree, it makes little sense to tout this feature. ("You can play it in on our lo-res screen, too!")

My more general thoughts about the Wii U: it's an awesome device.  Like shammack said, it's the first time I've felt that web browsing on a console is more of a feature than an annoyance.  It's not revolutionary the way the Wii was, but it's an evolutionary improvement on the Wii. All the old Wii controllers are compatible, etc.  Sales-wise, I am not as pessimistic as Thrik.  (Not because sales are good -- they are abysmal.  The GameCube comparison is not apt: GameCube sold not-so-bad during its first year and attracted third-party support.  It was only in 2003-2004 that everyone started jumping ship.  Also, during this time, Nintendo was still profitable largely because of the enormous success of the GBA.  The 3DS has turned out to be a mild success for Nintendo, but not nearly as huge as the GBA or the original DS.  Therefore, they do need the Wii U to actually be a success on its own terms -- they can't really subsidize it with the 3DS.)  That said, if you look back at Nintendo's consoles, third-party support has been bad pretty much since the N64, so I don't think that will be a make or break issue. 

My best guess is that Nintendo doubles-down on the Wii U, churns out software for it and tries to turn it around the way they did with the DS and 3DS, both of which met with initial resistance from the public.  Why? Because they have to.  The one reason people still buy Nintendo consoles is for Nintendo games.  If they start bailing on their  consoles before the "cycle" finishes, then they start destroying their brand credibility. The people they have left right now are the fanboys and early-adopters, and bailing now for some "me-too" PS4-clone would kill any incentive these people have to buy the next thing Nintendo does.  I don't think the Wii U will ever be something that the rest of the industry looks at as a success, but I also don't think abandoning it is a realistic option.

Okay, so when New Super Mario Bros. Wii came out and it had two Toads instead of Peach, Nintendo said that it was due to tech issues, and I was a little bummed, but accepted it. After all, having a Yellow Toad isn't really that lazy when you consider that Luigi is basically just Green Mario.

Then New Super Mario Bros. U came out and Peach still wasn't playable, and I was like "what the hell; you found the time to build an entire additional console but couldn't fix Peach's skirt so she could be in it this time?" but didn't care that much, because I had Nintendo Land for my Wii U game anyway.

And now we hear Iwata ask about New Super Luigi U's multiplayer.

"When we decided on Luigi as the main character, I talked with Tezuka-san about how I was absolutely against having Mario make an appearance. The idea came up of using three Toads, but when three Toads show up, the screen gets confusing, so I hounded Tezuka-san about seizing this chance to use a new character."

What the hell? Three Toads? She didn't even cross their minds?!

I am going to play as Peach in every single level of Super Mario 3D World out of sheer spite.

Here's today's mini Nintendo Direct featuring 3DS and Wii U neat stuff: