Orv

Magicka

Precisely. You CAN also cross two Arcane streams, then they combine together into a megastream that deals lots of damage.

Healing Beam Vs Arcane Beam at a point X metres in front of the 'party' is sort of my bog-standard co-op response now.

Lots of goblins? CROSS THE BEAMS!

Big scary dude who is about to destroy us? CROSS THE BEAMS!

It would likely be beneficial if I could find a way to cross the beams without resorting to Life/Healing, because if I fuck that one up, in the time it takes a teammate to get an Arcane beam out, I might have healed the baddy. We got pretty adept at it though.

It even sort of goes back to what the Thumbs were talking about with Little Big Planet. Hermie and I were on Skype (which I think is the superior way to play), but I also played with Purple without VOIP.

If I chucked a healing beam out through a group of enemies, it might take him a second, but he would always intersect it with some arcane a moment later, wiping out a huge vault of enemies.

Once you sort of instinctively understand and recognize element combinations, teamwork is a sort of fluid, almost synchronized activity.

Again, worth the 10 bucks.

(That's not to say it doesn't end in awful hilarity 9 times out of 10.)

I played a little local co-op yesterday with the demo (gamepads work as extra controllers, although I think they take a little more getting used to) and it just made me want the game even more. :(

For those curious, elements are selected by way of the right thumbstick, each of the four main directions contains two elements, and by then shifting to one of the four secondary directions (for example, from right to down-right) you can pick which one you want. I imagine with enough practice this could be fairly smooth, though probably still not as quick as with a keyboard.

I've played it only for a little bit, but I have to wonder if they shouldn't have cut down the number of elements for their first game. I mean, even with four elements there are tons of combinations, and with six there would be even more tons. It just seems unapproachable and unnecessarily hard-core. :getmecoat

He actually bothered to read the thread and make a relevant post in order to spam? Impressive.

I played the first chapter with some friends.

Basically, none of them wanted to buy it so I just pestered them until they caved in to my incessant words, and then actually getting started was annoying because the interface is terrible, and I was like "oh god i hope this ends up being good" and then I blew one of my friends up when I tried to heal him and VINDICATION was at hand.

The CEO of Paradox was comparing this game to Monkey Island.

Anybody who played it care to comment?

The story is endearing in the same way SyFy Originals are endearing.

It's bad, but it's supposed to be bad, so it makes me laugh instead of cry. But I wouldn't put it in the same category as Monkey Island, at all...

Every time I have to spell out "SyFy" my hands curl up in rebellion. "NO NO NO" they scream at me. D:

I wouldn't remotely compare it to Monkey Island in any format or way.

Well, maybe the humor.

Twig is spot on though. It's why people watch Lorenzo Lamas movies. It's just so fun to see his world destroyed by shittily CGI'd velociraptors.

The big recurring joke is that

your teacher/quest-giver/mentor is Vlad, who does his best to assure you he is not a vampire. I still haven't stopped chuckling at that.

After spending 20 minutes trying to get everyone properly connected and joined to the game's lobby (dozens of dropped connections and auth errors), we got 3 minutes in when my client decided it was stuck in cutscene mode indefinitely, so all I could do was spin around with the mouse and chat, while everyone else ran around setting things and each other on fire. Then another guy's copy crashed, so I quit. I'll give it another try soon, though.

I oddly haven't had a ton of errors. No connection/authentication errors at all, but I have had a few permanent black screens and a freeze or two, but that's about it.

Squid, Hermie, and whoever else would like to come along, shout at me this weekend on Steam. We need to laser some faces.

yeah you dudes hit me up too, i should be around most of the weekend. the game is kind of... unplayable in single player. i haven't beat the third chapter yet. die, start all over, die, start all over... it's fairly obvious this game was pretty much designed with a 4 person party in mind. too bad it barely works that way.

ok, played the demo; I like it, but SP is rather twitch based if you ask me.

you can count me in for coop sessions

Damn this game is full of bugs. It took me 4 tries to get past that guy outside of the castle in the first level.

yeah you dudes hit me up too, i should be around most of the weekend. the game is kind of... unplayable in single player. i haven't beat the third chapter yet. die, start all over, die, start all over... it's fairly obvious this game was pretty much designed with a 4 person party in mind. too bad it barely works that way.

Yeah I'm pretty much stuck at the crashed ship in the second level.

so much of the game's appeal lies in the constant risk of blowing yourself up, and being punished so severely for it really seems counterproductive. maybe if it had lives, and you could earn more by pulling off crazy things like big multikills. i don't know.

it really feels like it borrowed the minecraft theory of "buying the beta," i just wish it was advertised as such. it's within arms reach of being super awesome and it just hasn't quite made it there yet.

Does the full game have save-anywhere or autosave more often than the demo? I keep making mistakes -- as RPS promised -- and killing myself and redoing the section from the beholder to past the village over and over again.

This might be a spoiler, but I think it may have sold me a copy.

Ok, now I'm going to get it, even though it runs poorly on my laptop.

Does the full game have save-anywhere or autosave more often than the demo? I keep making mistakes -- as RPS promised -- and killing myself and redoing the section from the beholder to past the village over and over again.

Nope, and if you quit during a chapter you have to start the whole thing over again.

Someone beat the netcode when it was a baby. That's really the depth of our experience tonight.

Bring on dem patches.

I've been playing this local co-op for the past couple of days with my girlfriend. Loving it so far!

I'd love to get a 4 player session with some Thumbs going if anyone's up for it? There's been a few patches now so maybe it'll be worth a shot? I've only encountered 1 CTD and a couple of minor issues locally which considering the online comments I was pretty pleased with.