Orv

Magicka

5 Mistakes To Avoid That You'll Make Anyway

PCG Preview

Bottom line:

4 player co-op, with wizards. You press any combination of 8 keys to combine 8 different elements, and then 4 different "cast type" keys (self, at target, area-of-effect, I forget the fourth). It has friendly fire.

Also has challenge modes (sort of a wave/last stand mode) and versus (4 wizards with magic in an arena. Jeff Goldblum may or may not announce it in the style of Quake 3.

He doesn't.

)

10 bucks. Releases on Steam tomorrow. Integrated multiplayer with Steamworks.

Who's in for some wizardry? (And probably a lot of apologizing through gales of laughter.)

Element List:

Healing

Earth

Fire

Water

Lightning

Steam

Ice

Element Modifiers:

Shield

Arcane (Beam)

Edited by Orvidos

I only had a passing interest in this game until I read the recent RPS article about the mistakes.

Jesus goddamned Christ I need this game now.

I only had a passing interest in this game until I read the recent RPS article about the mistakes.

Jesus goddamned Christ I need this game now.

I was just coming back to post :getmecoat and :getmecoat only because ALL OF YOU MANGY BASTARDS HAVE LET ME DOWN.

But my faith is renewed.

Yeah, the mistakes article sold me too. I remember seeing a demo video of this from PAX or somewhere else, but after that it fell out of my periphery.

I am down with some co-op wizardry and explosions.

It's on Steam for 10£, unlocking in 3 hours as of writing. There's a demo too.

I am downloading the demo currently, I have no idea if I'll have the money for the game itself but if there is any multiplayer in the demo I'd be happy to try it with people.

Edit: The demo does not have online multiplayer, and it keeps randomly crashing on me. :(

Edited by Gwardinen

Augh, all the achievement names are the worst, most obvious pop-culture references.

I know that's usually the case, but these sound like 4chan vomited all over them.

Augh, all the achievement names are the worst, most obvious pop-culture references.

I know that's usually the case, but these sound like 4chan vomited all over them.

Well. Swedish + Intentional satire is bound to be really bad. (Especially since, as a denizen of the internet, and the dev not speaking exceptional English, a lot of what he hears is probably memes.)

Meh.

Also, Twig, what be your Steam?

A full Thumbs group. Dear gods. From the little that Hermie and I played, absolutely worth the 10 bucks. By far.

Looks interesting.

Did they kept is simple? Or did they overdo complexity like so many games these days?

it's... simple in theory? the difficulty comes in trying to cast the right spell at the right time which is WAY harder than you'd think it would be. it is kind of funny though when you go to throw an ice shield up and instead you drop health landmines that cure all your enemies.

the game is funny in that i think i'll have way less fun with it when i'm actually good at it. i'm mildly annoyed that to use frontal attacks with some things you have to enchant your sword and then attack again.

Diablo meets QWOP maybe?

I tried playing this game, but couldn't get past the tutorial because it wanted me to use the middle mouse button, which never worked, and I couldn't rebind. I was kind of interested, but apparently I don't get to play.

yeah it got stuck there for me too. it's not that it does'nt work (did you get the green numbers?), it's that the prompts are broken. you have to cut the rope (heh) on the bottom right of the room to go forward

Nevermind, I got it fixed, the center mouse was bound to document flip, then in an attempt to fix it I apparently turned it off.

Game's fun, but kind of hard to keep track of all the spell combinations/weird controls.

Slightly buggy at the moment, but still incredibly fun. Patches to come in quick succession should solve that.

Also, Twig, what be your Steam?

My Steam name is Twig, but I'm waiting for my loan check to come in before I spend the ten buckeroos on this game. :D

Just FYI, these days I ignore friend requests by default because I've gotten so many people I've never even played with, so... If you already TRIED Twig, then I probably ignored.

I played the demo, it was pretty fun, but it got quite hectic at times so I can see how using the wrong spell would happen. I did accidentally throw down healing landmines at one point.

That said, I'm still not convinced I can actually afford to buy the game. I just wish I could now. So objectively, I'm worse off!

I have a few complaints, but it seems they're patching the hell out of it and quickly. My biggest complaint that I can remember is the small elemental symbols under the spell and no mouse over for the list in the pause menu. I feel like the game will be at its best in about a week or so.

it's... simple in theory? the difficulty comes in trying to cast the right spell at the right time which is WAY harder than you'd think it would be. it is kind of funny though when you go to throw an ice shield up and instead you drop health landmines that cure all your enemies.

the game is funny in that i think i'll have way less fun with it when i'm actually good at it. i'm mildly annoyed that to use frontal attacks with some things you have to enchant your sword and then attack again.

Diablo meets QWOP maybe?

Not 'simple' as in 'easy', but in 'no complex systems'.

But it sounds like they made it complex

Having now played both co-op with Orvidos and single player, I can safely say they're completely different experiences.

Single player is like most have said, kinda cool, kinda weird, and a little confusing. "Oh, here comes goblins, let's try combining arcane and fire, ah, then this happens, interesting..."

Multiplayer is more like "OH MY GOD EVERYTHING IS THE EXPLOSIONS!"

For more perspective, look at the opposite elements. "Healing" and "Arcane" are opposites. If you try to mix them by yourself, they just cancel each other out, and you can't cast it.

However, if you're trying to heal a teammate, and your heal beam accidentally hits his arcane beam, there's a big boom and he goes flying.

Discovering this, we eventually started doing this on purpose, one player shooting enemies with the arcane beam, and then having the other playing crossing with his heal beam, blasting enemies off their own air ship. Hilarity.

So it's a case of don't cross the streams?

Unless you really need to, like in the event of staypuff.