MrHoatzin

Mein Thumbcraft—IdleT Dedicated Minecraft Server

Okay, well, your position is reset to spawn. Login again if you feel like it, I guess.

On what? Another re-roll? People are barely playing on this one.

To be honest, I'm starting to think it might be time to retire the server. I think most people are pretty much done with the game at this point, and it costs me a surprising amount of both money and effort to keep things running when most times it's just me on there anyway.

I know exactly how you feel, I pretty much did the same thing with the Thumbs TF2 server I had for a few months a bit over a year ago. It was popular for a time but not consistent enough to demand my money and time.

Finished the giant pyramid I was building, and also built a nice subway/El line out to a viewing platform for it :)

nice... but there is no entrance :/

I really should get back to this "game" and do stuff. But the current era doesn't really tickle my interest.

Also, I have mixed feelings concerning the cheating. Isn't there a nicer mod for that? So that it at least takes some effort to duplicate?

i think that's going to be the point of the next world, if the server survives that long. once the adventure stuff is added and there's theoretically value to rare materials, then i assume that would be shut off.

The people who complain about 'cheating' never actually log on to the server to play, so it's hard for me to take those complaints seriously. My goal in running the server is to a) have people actually use it and B) have those people enjoy themselves. Those who actually use the server enjoy building stuff and aren't interested in hunting for materials.

Even so, I've just paid my linode invoice for the month, and this will be the last month for the server. For those who don't know, I pay $60/month out of pocket to keep it running and, with one exception, I haven't received any donations in months. As I said before, between the technical headaches of keeping the game running and the actual cost, it just isn't worth it to support a server that few play on but many complain about.

Someone just Paypal'd me $60, so that's +1 month. I don't want to name names if he wants to be anonymous, but thanks!

What? I've spend billions of hours on minecraft server. I'm just saying that being able to simply spawn blocks does ruin part of the fun, then again, it does contribute to fun in an other way (hence, mixed feelings).

Even so, I've just paid my linode invoice for the month, and this will be the last month for the server. For those who don't know, I pay $60/month out of pocket to keep it running and, with one exception, I haven't received any donations in months. As I said before, between the technical headaches of keeping the game running and the actual cost, it just isn't worth it to support a server that few play on but many complain about.

I completely understand this, and although I haven't really used the server much, it's been really cool to be able to visit at times and see all the men jumping around, build huge amazing things. Also, in addition to the money you've spent, I also understand you've spent a great deal of your time on maintaining the server, upgrading it and so on. Thanks for that too, as well.

Someone just Paypal'd me $60, so that's +1 month. I don't want to name names if he wants to be anonymous, but thanks!

well in that case, 1.8 better hurry the hell up

Oh wow. I had no idea it was that much. $60 a month! Thanks for keeping it running for so long. Isn't there some cheaper way of keeping it going? I know I haven't logged on in ages, but it's still fun to see what people are building.

Oh wow. I had no idea it was that much. $60 a month! Thanks for keeping it running for so long. Isn't there some cheaper way of keeping it going? I know I haven't logged on in ages, but it's still fun to see what people are building.

Unfortunately, the thing Minecraft is bound by is memory, which is the most valuable resource in a VPS environment. 1GB is basically the minimum amount of memory you can allocate to the JVM and still run a server. $60 gets me a VPS with 1.5GB, which is just enough for the JVM plus linux itself (usually).

I'm just thumbing my way through the old pages of this thread backwards, and have yet to really see much of what happened in the old epochs. But I have a thought. Could the diaspora from the spawn to preserve the natural beauty of the spawn point led to some disinterest in continuing play?

I spent a little while roaming around finding little amazing nuggets of architecture, but it had a feeling of emptiness. There was one point I was walking around in a jungle and it was dark, and raining, and I kept seeing echos of civilization, but when I got to the structures they were incomplete. It was a bit of a Jurassic park feeling. Also a bit post-apocalyptic.

I like the general idea of a central train depot that feeds off to far attractions, but I feel like it'd be nicer if there was a central hub where people were showing off with smaller scale architecture, with a focus on collaboration and completion. Something like the Vegas strip where everything is out of control and compact, but you can get out of the core and check out a larger scale passion project.

Maybe we've been down this road before, I'll continue to dig into the past.

I didn't know what diaspora meant, so I double clicked on the word so my google dictionary would give me a definition. The first definition it gave was "Jews living outside israel" which made that sentence really confusing. Just thought you should know of my 10 seconds adventure.

Maybe that was a shit idea. I didn't expect this server iteration to be around this long when I suggested that. Seemed ke a fun shirt term experiment, but we've had this server for a while now. Also I haven't even had time to play much lately so I wasn't able to contribute to this epoch the way I had intended. It bums me out.

Seemed ke a fun shirt term experiment

Did you Google translate that?

I'm not sure everything can be blamed on the world design, it's certainly cool to be able to log onto the server and be instantly amazed by cool shit, but I get the feeling that a large part of the reason is simply apathy. This is what, the fifth epoch? The server, and more importantly Minecraft, have been around for quite a while now. A lot of people have just had their fun with it at this point; as you can see if you read all of this thread or god forbid, talk to people, a lot of them are just plain busy.

I come to this from the standpoint of a member of a CoD clan that slowly ground itself into the ground, in large part due to boredom with the games and real life commitments. On a smaller scale, this is pretty much what i've seen happen to the Minecraft server.

Perhaps 1.8 will reinvigorate the community and bring everyone running back, perhaps then the costs will be covered for a few months, who can say? It's important to know when to throw in the towel and I think Tabacco has picked the right time.

Thanks to Tabacco for paying out of pocket to keep the thing running for so long and thanks to everybody that played for making some truly insane shit. :tup:

I'm certainly not casting blame, and there are probably much bigger factors as you said. But I thought that it might have been something that might have had a few disadvantages. Turnover in a gaming community is a constant battle of attrition, so it's not surprising that after so much time people have other things to do.

Also, on another note. That's crazy how much money it costs to run a Minecraft server. As a Java developer it's not surprising that it uses that much memmory, but I really think they could optimize the crap out of that if they tried.

They're still developing it... with just two people... it is probably pretty horrifically inefficient.

Granted, 1 of those is a Business Developer, and another is Managing Director, plus i'm fairly sure they're not all full-time. BUT STILL. 9.

I agree though, i'm almost certain it's far less efficient than it could be because they're focusing pretty hard on content. So good and bad.

Granted, 1 of those is a Business Developer, and another is Managing Director, plus i'm fairly sure they're not all full-time. BUT STILL. 9.

I agree though, i'm almost certain it's far less efficient than it could be because they're focusing pretty hard on content. So good and bad.

If only notch had made enough money to afford to proper dev team... etc. etc. etc.

I'm pretty sure Notch and another programmer named Jeb are the only people in Mojang currently integrating features into the game.

Plus Notch is on holiday 99% of the time anyway.

Flying around in his private jet, like a boss.

Making a sand castle up in the lake to the north of Dun Killstar.

Help is welcome. Feel free to destroy, but be careful because sand has a tendency to landslide and i wouldn't want the whole thing coming down.

Also I really don't like the dome I put on the front, if you're better a circular stuff go nuts.

VFhRY.jpg

Loaded up the 3rd and 4th epochs on my local, and that is some truely impressive stuff. It's interesting foraging through the abandoned buildings, trying to find materials, I may have to turn up the difficulty and make a survival out of it.

Also, strange moment when I arrived at El Meurte's Tracy Island. Somebody had left a tamed wolf there, and he barked happy at my arrival outside the mine cart station. It reminded me of the this story from Japan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachik%C5%8D