Sign in to follow this  
Marek

PC purchasing advice

I've been out of PC gaming for 5 years and am planning to get back into it.

I have no idea anymore what kind of specs will deliver what kind of performance, but I'm eying this configuration. How well will this run high-end 3D games (like recent/upcoming shooters) at native res? Is it fair to say that pretty much anything in this sort of range will run anything well at mid to high settings?

- Intel® Pentium® Dual Core E5500(2.80GHz,800MHz,2MB)

- 21.5-inch Full HD WLED Widescreen Monitor

- Nvidia ® GeForce G310 512MB graphics card

- 4096MB Dual Channel DDR3 [4x1024] Memory

Desktop. Budget around 500-800 quid I suppose (although I was including a 20" monitor in that budget). I could go higher but I don't really want to probably.

What I was told a few days ago was "all the processors nowadays are uber fast anyway so that doesn't really matter - get a good video card and good memory".

P.S. I want to get a mostly pre fab system. I feel like the days of building my own PC are over, for better or for worse...

Edited by Marek

Desktop. Budget around 500-800 quid I suppose (although I was including a 20" monitor in that budget). I could go higher but I don't really want to probably.

What I was told a few days ago was "all the processors nowadays are uber fast anyway so that doesn't really matter - get a good video card and good memory".

That processor is essentially 2 generations old, on your budget I'd go with an i5 or a Phenom II (quad core in both cases). Are you comfortable building yourself?If you are unsure This video shows how simple it is. The GPU in your machine wasn't great either. The GPU and CPU heirarchy charts are very useful, when understanding components.

Hi Marek, unfortunately you will get hammered on component quality buying from a company and it pains me inside to see good people get done over in that way. The computer you have described above (the Dell option) has a woefully underpowered GPU and a CPU that is on the backend of current.

I love building PC's and would be more than happy to build one for you and get it couriered to you. It would probably cost you less and be a much better PC. I realise this may be a little random but many of the guys on the forum will vouch for my sincerity. Seriously, you get mullered by the computer companies, they have very little upgrade potential and skimp on important components e.g PSU's, RAM etc.

If you still want to get a PC from an online company, try http://www.meshcomputers.com, they are better than Dell in my experience.

Good luck man!

Here you get recommendations for gaming hardware combinations depending on the intended investment. It's a german site and the prices are in EUR. But this shouldn't be much of a problem. And you can always fall back on Google Translator™.

Hi Marek, unfortunately you will get hammered on component quality buying from a company and it pains me inside to see good people get done over in that way. The computer you have described above (the Dell option) has a woefully underpowered GPU and a CPU that is on the backend of current.

I love building PC's and would be more than happy to build one for you and get it couriered to you. It would probably cost you less and be a much better PC. I realise this may be a little random but many of the guys on the forum will vouch for my sincerity. Seriously, you get mullered by the computer companies, they have very little upgrade potential and skimp on important components e.g PSU's, RAM etc.

If you still want to get a PC from an online company, try http://www.meshcomputers.com, they are better than Dell in my experience.

Good luck man!

I will vouch for this man. :tup:

Also I agree with the others, the parts you listed are too outdated and would not play new shooters well. Patters's recommendation of an i5 or Phenom II is a good one, I just build a rig with an i5 and it's affordable and faster than anything I had ever used. There are a lot of options for video cards but I would not go with the one you have selected.

I would recommend an ATI graphics card if you want FREE Lord of the Rings Online™ Trial with your graphics drivers.

I would recommend an ATI graphics card if you want FREE Lord of the Rings Online™ Trial with your graphics drivers.

My latest drivers didn't have that.

Building a PC from parts is stupidly easy these days, Marek. You can slap the whole thing together in an hour (and then sit and watch Windows 7 install for another hour or two). You will love it probably.

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

Building a PC from parts is stupidly easy these days, Marek. You can slap the whole thing together in an hour (and then sit and watch Windows 7 install for another hour or two). You will love it probably.

That's reassuring, though it's not so much the actual assembling that worries me, but selecting the right components. I'm having this whole choice paralysis thing, and I don't know which components are good or which ones work together well.

Armchair General: I should probably send you a PM.

Edit: looks like Dino PC can offer a config that's listed as "very good" in that chart if I swap out a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1GB with a ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB on their default system. That puts it at 440 quid - well within budget.

Edited by Marek

Just as a note: I sent Armchair £650 to build me a new computer, and I haven't heard from him since. This was over a year ago. I know PiratePoo has had a similar experience with him. I'm not saying you shouldn't trust him, but keep at least half of the money until you actually see the goods.

Edit: looks like Dino PC can offer a config that's listed as "very good" in that chart if I swap out a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1GB with a ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB on their default system. That puts it at 440 quid - well within budget.

Glad to hear man. I've heard nothing but good things from friends about dino. :)

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

That's reassuring, though it's not so much the actual assembling that worries me, but selecting the right components. I'm having this whole choice paralysis thing, and I don't know which components are good or which ones work together well.

Armchair General: I should probably send you a PM.

The 5770 is good stuff... I have virtually the same build as "very good" and I can run practically any game without a hitch, often times as maximum settings at my 16:10 resolution.

Just as a note: I sent Armchair £650 to build me a new computer, and I haven't heard from him since. This was over a year ago. I know PiratePoo has had a similar experience with him. I'm not saying you shouldn't trust him, but keep at least half of the money until you actually see the goods.

Yes. Andy made my put my €800 budget in escrow and then at a later date he would refund me €300 euro's, because of a UK tax-loophole that would allow me a custom €800 system for only €400.

I NEVER GOT MY PC, OR MY MONEY BACK. Andy, as a British heir to the throne, I implore you to search your honour and decency and behave like royalty should! Give me my money back. Or send me my PC.

I have a Radeon 5770 1GB card also and I've been really impressed and satisfied with using that. It's a good choice for games that are out now and for big games that come out next year and so on.

That buying guide table is nice. I'm going to have to build a new PC soon, but after reading about stuff for hours I still didn't have a good idea what components to choose. I think I will be building me one of those Outstanding systems. Unless the local prices are much higher -- they usually are -- in which case I'll have to settle for Excellent.

That buying guide table is nice. I'm going to have to build a new PC soon, but after reading about stuff for hours I still didn't have a good idea what components to choose. I think I will be building me one of those Outstanding systems. Unless the local prices are much higher -- they usually are -- in which case I'll have to settle for Excellent.

I wouldn't be surprised if the totals come out slightly lower now, considering the chart was compiled in May.

Yes. Andy made my put my €800 budget in escrow and then at a later date he would refund me €300 euro's, because of a UK tax-loophole that would allow me a custom €800 system for only €400.

I NEVER GOT MY PC, OR MY MONEY BACK. Andy, as a British heir to the throne, I implore you to search your honour and decency and behave like royalty should! Give me my money back. Or send me my PC.

Andy always shoots me in the back in Bad Company 2.

I have never met these people before. They clearly do not know me at all.

P.S. I only shoot BRKL in the back because he is always running away from me and my big gun.

P.P.S Not THAT big gun.