toblix

Idle Thumbs panel at PAX Prime

Actually, I think it's a pretty popular favourite. Somebody loved it enough to do a crazy DHTML/JavaScript/whatever accompaniment that I can't be bothered to look up on my phone.

Perhaps you're right bro (love the link btw) but I only ever seem to see "DO THE WIZARD CHRIS", or Space Asshole.

Good to know that I'm not the only one who appreciates the Ballad :)

I listened to The Ballad yesterday while painting. Then listened to old podcasts, 14 in particular. What surprises me was how these older podcasts play out: Chris is constantly being serious and shouted over by maniacal children Jake and Steve. All are constantly apologizing for sounding like douchebags :) Absolutely brilliant.

Also: No matter how many times I listen to The Ballad, I'm always pleasantly surprised by the Wizard bit at the end, which I consistently forget is there (even if I just listened to it). Not even Pachter knows...!

I won't be there, but if someone could shout "FUCK YOU, NICK!" when he introduces himself, I would be extremely happy.

I won't be there, but if someone could shout "FUCK YOU, NICK!" when he introduces himself, I would be extremely happy.

Just spat all over my screen :tup::tup::tup:

I have a camera on my iphone, so don't worry it's covered and I'll get closer then the eigth row.

You could try Pming Chris, Jake, etc... or using the widely know Idle Thumbs e-mail if you want them to get a message; publicly posting seems like a really round about way of going about this and immediately makes me suspicious over the professionalism.

Edited by Murdoc

To be honest, this is the kind of thing I would generally prefer to be handled by a fan if possible. I'd be happy to help spread the word if it's something people decide to take upon themselves, but I'm unlikely to personally spearhead it, for various reasons. I don't know about Jake; he might have the bandwidth.

Any chance of streaming at least audio and having some sort of chat room open so people from other side of the world can join the fun? If you in America have this thing called internet of course.

I never had any trouble just getting a ticket at the gate, but I've missed one or two of the recent ones so that might not be a good idea these days.

Anyone know if there is any trouble just showing up on whatever day and getting a ticket at the gate?

I never had any trouble just getting a ticket at the gate, but I've missed one or two of the recent ones so that might not be a good idea these days.

Anyone know if there is any trouble just showing up on whatever day and getting a ticket at the gate?

Yes.

Last year PAX was entirely sold out by the weekend of the event, and no tickets were available at the door. If you want to get in, definitely buy in advance.

I've planned for months to be up at PAX on Saturday. I desperately wish that there was some convenient way to rearrange my schedule in order to be at the Thumbstravaganza on Sunday.

It all becomes apparent why Chris discouraged the filming of the podcast.

In many ways I kind of find it interesting. The peak of what I am aiming for right now is to write about video games while remaining in QA (indefinitely). It feels like the thumbs guys who all wrote about video games are now a part of video games. That is certainly something you don't see as often in other media, usually people do the thing first then succumb to just critiquing it, in this industry it seems arse-backwards.

It all becomes apparent why Chris discouraged the filming of the podcast.

Totally unrelated. I didn't discourage it at all; I think it would be cool to have a visual record. I just don't personally want to deal with the logistics, to be honest.

In many ways I kind of find it interesting. The peak of what I am aiming for right now is to write about video games while remaining in QA (indefinitely). It feels like the thumbs guys who all wrote about video games are now a part of video games. That is certainly something you don't see as often in other media, usually people do the thing first then succumb to just critiquing it, in this industry it seems arse-backwards.

In other forms of entertainment, there's more of an accepted critical apparatus. There's almost no such thing as "criticism" in games the same way there is in music, literature, and film, and to the extent that it does exist, it's not commercially viable enough to make a career out of. Instead we have "game journalism," whatever that even means.

Someone PM'd me, but I can't respond because I don't have enough posts, so:

Yeah man, me too. As I started to get into the details the price just kept going up, and seeing that no one else really wanted it I gave up. I feel like I can handle this shit in person, it's my job to sell people on ideas and negotiate money, but over e-mail and on message boards I have no idea how to convince people to do a thing or talk a price down.

I also forgot that Idle Thumbs has no merchandise and no donation button. It's just a different kind of culture here than the other podcasts I listen to.

Instead we have "game journalism," whatever that even means.

You'll be pleased to learn that I ordered Kill Screen Magazine sight-unseen purely based on your pod recommendation!

I also forgot that Idle Thumbs has no merchandise

http://thumbs.spreadshirt.com/ kind of counts, right?

Kill Screen is very good. Also, Jamin is a super nice guy who's a lot of fun to talk to.

The writing-about-games scene here in the New York area may not be that big, but it's a cool group, and fun things happen when you get a bunch of us in one place.

Edited by tentaclesex

Kill Screen is very good. Also, Jamin is a super nice guy who's a lot of fun to talk to.

The writing-about-games scene here in the New York area may not be that big, but it's a cool group, and fun things happen when you get a bunch of us in one place.

How does Kill Screen compare to Edge? I've got the impression that the latter is like the New Yorker of gaming journalism.

The comparison to the New Yorker is pretty apt. The articles tend to be about the experiences of the authors. There isn't much in the way of pontificating about things. There's a focus on showing how games can have such a variety of effects on people, depending on the context and the person.

It's not much like Edge. Edge essentially follows the conventions of the games magazine genre as a whole; it has previews, reviews and news. Kill Screen doesn't have any of that. Jamin would like to get more into criticism, but he has a ton of things he wants to do with the mag.

Edge does have above-average writing, as does Kill Screen. That's the only major comparison that I would draw. Well, that and the fact that they're both visually appealing in layout and design.

I was so set on going to PAX this year. GFW Panel. Thumbs Panel. 3 days of games. It's only an hour drive from my house.

Then I got my lottery permit to camp in the Enchantments, which I've applied for the past 5 years. This is my first permit. I'm so torn.

Games, or... big19.JPG

I was so set on going to PAX this year. GFW Panel. Thumbs Panel. 3 days of games. It's only an hour drive from my house.

Then I got my lottery permit to camp in the Enchantments, which I've applied for the past 5 years. This is my first permit. I'm so torn.

Games, or... big19.JPG

Dude.

video games.

Games, or... big19.JPG

Which ever has the most beer.

Then I got my lottery permit to camp in the Enchantments, which I've applied for the past 5 years.

This sentence is fancy! I'm sure it makes sense but I'm not able to understand the words.

This sentence is fancy! I'm sure it makes sense but I'm not able to understand the words.

It clearly has something to do with the regulation of magic. You can't let Wizards enchant things willy-nilly.

Mountains will still be there next year, this is the last time IDle Thumbs will be together, even Nick!

What's gwf?