Murdoc

E3: The Keynotes

Yeah, you could be right.

I'd like to see the 3DS myself, some shaky cam vids of the Metal Gear Solid interactive demo look great!

You are probably right about the interface stuff. And as stupid as it sounds if you listen to it it is very smart that you have to call your console every time you command something. But that aside, what about if you live in an apartment in a block of flats with very thin walls?
Yeah it would definitely feel embarrassing saying "XBOX _____" all the time. That's why naming it would be so much better.

I believe we all want to end up in this brave new world:

BmNeXu5xIDY

Wait Steam on Ps3? what are the chances of pc emulation on ps3 through that one day?

I dunno, but ok.

Steamworks is not Steam. Also, this is the worst surprise ever.

No Last Guardian was a huge let down for me... I guess they're saving up for TGS. I liked their games reel and the GT5 trailer, during which I might have soiled my underwear...

SURPRISE!

No last guardian

bleh

edit: I would like to add that with my excitement over a zelda or a guardian showing today this ended up being one big turd cherry on my sundae today.

Man that teaches me for getting genuinely excited over e3 again.

After the Sony press conference I have only one question: Will Portal 2 come out on Xbox 360? I really hope so because I cant afford a PS3 right now.

Also, is anyone else excited for the new DKC game on Wii?

After the Sony press conference I have only one question: Will Portal 2 come out on Xbox 360? I really hope so because I cant afford a PS3 right now.

Also, is anyone else excited for the new DKC game on Wii?

How was Portal even played on a consol to begin with? That fact alone kind of blows my mind.

DKC seemed competent, but it looks like "yep, that's donkey kong country"

The whole Nintendo revival thing is appreciated I guess, but not all that exciting. I like when they do things new like Mario 64, Galaxy, Paper Mario, etc..

Most disappointing surprise ever. I don't get why they hyped it at all. I would assume existing fans will both prefer to play it on the PC and be disappointed that that was the surprise.

Also, I watched the "live" broadcast on gametrailers, which was the most horrible unwatchable video transmission I've ever seen. It seems they encoded and sent the various quality levels with very different delays, so that when the player switches from one quality to another -- which it does automatically all the damn time -- the video shifts back and forth, often almost a minute. It was funny how Sony seemed almost embarrassed that their motion technology were just wiimotes with balls, feeling the need to piss on the competition that badly.

Most disappointing surprise ever. I don't get why they hyped it at all. I would assume existing fans will both prefer to play it on the PC and be disappointed that that was the surprise.

Also, I watched the "live" broadcast on gametrailers, which was the most horrible unwatchable video transmission I've ever seen. It seems they encoded and sent the various quality levels with very different delays, so that when the player switches from one quality to another -- which it does automatically all the damn time -- the video shifts back and forth, often almost a minute. It was funny how Sony seemed almost embarrassed that their motion technology were just wiimotes with balls, feeling the need to piss on the competition that badly.

I find it unwatchable when they start to do that, are MS doing it? No. Sony always seem to need to go on the offensive.

Maybe it has to do with them going last and having to be the third ones in two days to say that 3D and motion control is unlike anything you've ever seen before.

I find it unwatchable when they start to do that, are MS doing it? No. Sony always seem to need to go on the offensive.

Ms has done that in the past, I think everyone has blocked out the Snark wars of the ps2 and xbox 1 between MS and Sony. Be assured, it was snarky.

edit; One other thing... anyone notice a wii port to the ps3? dead space. Yeah. how about that.

Maybe there is a chance we can see a 1080p version with new post fx(fog, dof, motion blur) of Epic Mickey. that would be great. I'm glad there is still a game there because the concept is really cool, the graphics/art aren't that bad seeing it in motion, but man a high res version with some atmosphere would just be better.

Maybe it has to do with them going last and having to be the third ones in two days to say that 3D and motion control is unlike anything you've ever seen before.

This is something that hit me in particular, a quote saying something similar to: "The PS3 is the only home system which supports native 3D", Err the PC does.

Murdoc, that was a long time ago. We are half a decade away from that.

Murdoc, that was a long time ago. We are half a decade away from that.

Still feels like yesterday *sniff*

But my point is, todays MS isn't the new MS, it's pretty much the same one from back then, they just might not be snarking off directly; though yeah Sony did make a few jabs at everyone oddly enough.

Not really sure why, they have nothing to be ashamed off for the past couple years.

Project Dust led by Eric Chahi? A god game where you control the environment.

I don't know what to think from seeing the trailer, but I'm guessing it should end up being very interesting by default.

Project Dust led by Eric Chahi? A god game where you control the environment.

I don't know what to think from seeing the trailer, but I'm guessing it should end up being very interesting by default.

It's populous: the beginning with some cool ecosystem simulations and a bit of pixel junks shooter in there.

It's neat, but kind of hoped for something a bit higher level like populous 1-esq.

Let me know if something like motion-controlled Mount and Blade: Warband is announced. That would be something that could be awesome but would be screwed up in the end. At least it would make some annoying tactics in that game really tiring.

The Nintendo conf was great, though I wasn't all too enthused by Zelda. Just looked bland and silly. All the rest was good though, the new Kirby, Kid Icarus, Donkey Kong and Epic Mickey look great. And the 3DS is so sexy! I have to have one, can't wait to see how the 3D effect looks!

Now I'm off to watch the Sony conf, which I missed.

And the 3DS is so sexy! I have to have one, can't wait to see how the 3D effect looks!

I like how all but one of my predictions in the 3DS thread have been proven wrong:

BOLD PREDICTIONS

• Professor Layton will point at you in 3D.
  • Phoenix Wright will point at you in 3D.
  • The Elite Beat Agents will point at you in 3D.
  • Bald Bull will charge at you in 3D.
  • There will be no Starfox game.

0.png0.png

To be fair, Phoenix Wright is most definitely going to point at you in 3D eventually. Maybe they're saving it for TGS.

The Nintendo conf was great, though I wasn't all too enthused by Zelda. Just looked bland and silly.

Yeah, what's up with that? While I liked the backgrounds I saw, the brief moment of the enemy and the new Link look like the most uninspired looking characters in Zelda I've ever seen so far.

While I'm not too keen on the Twilight Princess style, at least it was much more distinct.

I hope this is fixed. ;(

Edited by syntheticgerbil

Yeah, what's up with that? While I liked the backgrounds I saw, and the brief moment of the enemy, the Link looks like the most uninspiried looking link I've ever seen so far. While I'm not keen on the Twilight Princess style at all, at least it was much more distinct.

I hope this is fixed. ;(

I hate to keep harping on this because the last two zeldas I thought were just awesome in what they did with the art.

I mean Twilight was like a classic *ps2(oops said ps3) final fantasy, but man some of those cutscenes and the mocap(?) were just so god damn cinematic it was really amazing. Windwaker had so much friggin personality it makes my head explode.

But this kind of feels like middle of the road compromise for everyone, where potentially everyone wins, but it just has ended up with some pretty bland designs it's feeling like everyone loses on this. The environments(shitty tree top aside) do feel like an old throw back to the Zelda illustrations in Nintendo Power; so I can see where they might be going with it, but again we have two examples that were far better already.

Anyway, my initial usual "fuck it" reaction has subsided, it'll probably be neat. The show floor demos are resulting in a "hey this is neat" game play and I don't actually have to stand up to play it, so I'm cool with that. I still think the last two games have shown that the game can be so much more then what they are showing us right now, so who knows; I can't imagine they would sacrifice art/scope/gravity just by having a new control scheme, so the demo might not be the best thing to go from.

Edited by Murdoc

I've gotta say that the highlight of the Sony press conference was Kevin Butler. Best ad campaign so far and excellent speech, funny and touching at the same time.

ggem-G5GZjU