Ben X

Scott Pilgrim [video game]

Hell to the yes.

Too bad it's a timed exclusive for PSN. It's kinda funny that the closest I have come to considering a PS3 has been because of a downloadable retro-sidescrolling-brawler that's a comic-book/movie tie-in.

Ubisoft Montreal was but I think they may have sent it to their smaller division(gameloft?gamesomething?)

The game looks neat, but I'm starting to think I'm the only one in the world that just doesn't "get" the Scott Pilgrim series.

Game Informer had an interview with the Artist for the game (and maybe the comic? Don't remember), and it seemed awesome -- I dig pixel art, and old school beat-em-ups :tup:. That video was equally great.

I saw the trailer for the movie when I say Prince of Persia, and that looked pretty sweet also, though I had completely forgotten about the game at that point.

@Hermie, you mentioned timed-exclusive? Is it supposed to hit XBLA eventually? If so, I may pick it up. Although, I kind of don't want to give Ubisoft my money. Decisions, decisions.

I just read this entire series like a week ago and am in love with it. I did not realize it was going to launch as PSN-only which sucks as I don't have a PS3. But the game looks amazing from the little we've seen, I will definitely play it. Is it coming to XBLA eventually?

Ubisoft Montreal was but I think they may have sent it to their smaller division(gameloft?gamesomething?)

The game looks neat, but I'm starting to think I'm the only one in the world that just doesn't "get" the Scott Pilgrim series.

Nah, I'm with you. I've heard it's great, and I even believe that, but every time I come close to picking up one of the books I am completely turned off by the art and put it back. I just don't know if I can have that staring me in the face for as long as it takes to read a series. I can't even say specifically what it is, but that art style just pushed me away from it completely.

EDIT: And after watching the trailer, I'm having the same reaction. Looks like it could be fun, but damn is the art irritating me for reasons I can't put my finger on. Oh well. I guess I'll give this one a pass.

Edited by miffy495

No, you are definitely not the only one who doesn't get Scott Pilgrim. The first time I really took notice of the thing was when I saw the trailer for Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. I'm still confused as to what is the "target audience" (as much as I hate the term) for both the comic book series and the movie. For some reason, I'm not interested in the thing at all.

The game on the other hand looks pretty great, in a way. Good job whoever is responsible for it. Not sure if I would play it though.

I've always wanted to play a game like this ever since I saw Pirate Baby Cabana Battle Street Fight, it's nice to see Paul Robertson finally taking art for a game in his own weird direction. Music done by Anamanaguchi is just an added bonus!

I recently borrowed the comics from a friend to see what the fuss was about and found them... a little bit annoying. They have style, and fun little nerd references, but a lot of the time it felt like I was reading every other page of another more coherent comic. Just a bit... schizophrenic.

I'm really hoping the gameplay stands up to the art and music in this game though.

The Game Informer preview was where it said timed exclusive. The team is an internal ubisoft one, I remember when it was announced, the creator of SP said on twitter "these guys are making it" and linked to a video of a Gameboy TMNT brawler. I'd find it now, but twitter is down.

As for those who don't "get" Scott Pilgrim, there's not much to say. I find the exaggerated art and quirky dialouge to be infinitely charming, but I can easily see why someone wouldn't like it.

I somehow knew that Hermie would be first to reply!

That Kings Of Power video is ace, I prefer this one though:

T5zpNfTfGZU

Mgm1o5TzLUc

Edited by bbX1138

I absolutely HATE the Scott Pilgrim comics, and every new success the franchise attains wounds me like the twisting of a knife in my stomach.

That being said, if Paul Robertson is doing the art it pretty much demands that I buy it.

I hate myself.

Nah, I'm with you. I've heard it's great, and I even believe that, but every time I come close to picking up one of the books I am completely turned off by the art and put it back. I just don't know if I can have that staring me in the face for as long as it takes to read a series. I can't even say specifically what it is, but that art style just pushed me away from it completely.

EDIT: And after watching the trailer, I'm having the same reaction. Looks like it could be fun, but damn is the art irritating me for reasons I can't put my finger on. Oh well. I guess I'll give this one a pass.

I kind of agree, the art style straight up doesn't appeal to me. The film is worse for me though, I can't stand Michael Cera, his face makes me angry.

So do you guys dislike the movie as well (or, well, the trailer)? I hadn't heard of the comics until this thread. The movie looks ace to me.

The game fits the comic pretty well. The comic is pretty fucking weird. Which is really it's appeal. Well that and random indie music/games/comics references. I wasn't crazy about the art style either, but I read what's available and enjoyed it. I think what sold me on the comic was that they play it completely straight for most of the first book. No crazy fights/powers/etc. The movie looks pretty solid as well. Seems to capture the feel of the book pretty well. Plus at this point Edgar Wright could probably crap in my mouth and I'd thank him for it.

If Cera plays it right (so slightly different from his normal self) this may be the first thing I can tolerate him in since Arrested Development. Maybe.

There needs to be lots of stupidity and punching, and less bumbling preciousness.

If Cera plays it right (so slightly different from his normal self) this may be the first thing I can tolerate him in since Arrested Development. Maybe.

There needs to be lots of stupidity and punching, and less bumbling preciousness.

Preferably me punching him in the face until it isn't there anymore....

It's not so much I hate Michael Cera as that he's really overexposed when compared to his lack of diversity in roles. No, I save most of my hate for Jonah Hill.

The movie looks like garbage to me, but the game has some rad pixels in it!

Geeze, a surprising amount of Scott Pilgrim hate on this thread. I would not have expected that.

Scott Pilgrim is basically about a loser/hipster who meets a girl, and then it turns all video-gamey with fights and explosions and super-powered vegans. The "target audience" is, um, loser hipsters and vegans who get Video game references. (It's very similar in tone to "Spaced," which is why it makes sense that Edgar Wright is doing the movie.) This game looks pretty faithful to the comics, and the movie looks about as faithful as it can be given the strange casting choice of Michael Cera. (Scott Pilgrim the character was never "awkward" so much as oblivious and selfish, in the way that nerds are.)

Fan of the comics.

Won't get my hopes up for the movie, but the wait for the game to get ported over to XBLA or Wii might be a painful one for me... I hope that the PSN release doesn't end up being a discouraging factor from the publisher's standpoint. The limited exclusivity could be misleading for them; I could see a LOT of Scott Pilgrim fans that don't have a particular system waiting in the wings, cash in hand.

Scott Pilgrim is basically about a loser/hipster who meets a girl, and then it turns all video-gamey with fights and explosions and super-powered vegans. The "target audience" is, um, loser hipsters and vegans who get Video game references.

Everything about that sounds unbelievably horrible.

Yeah, I think I can give that a pass now. It seems like all the parts about geek culture that I work really hard to separate myself from (geeks are losers, the primary goal in life is to find a girlfriend, finding said girlfriend is the ultimate prize, referencing shit for the sake of referencing it is clever, and that being, as you put it, "oblivious and selfish" are common traits among all geeks that deserve to be looked past because we have hearts of gold blah blah blah entitled bullshit whydon'tthecheerleadersloveme...) being extolled and celebrated. These things are bad things to be and believe, and the way you've described Scott Pilgrim makes it sound like it plays up those stereotypes. I love video games. I like a whole lot of geek culture. But that stereotype is why I still feel a twinge of shame when I call myself a gamer in mixed company. In their minds, I'm being equated with people who believe that. Granted, it may not actually be as bad as you inadvertently made it out to be. The person who was recommending Scott Pilgrim to me before is a really smart girl who knows her comics, and what you described seems like the sort of thing that really irritates her. Still, if that's the takeaway, maybe I should just keep ignoring it.