thorn

Telltale Jurassic Park

This is a bit of a WTF, but apparently Telltale are making a game based on Jurassic Park. I can't for the life of me imagine what it's going to be like, but I'm sure I'll end up buying it anyway.

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/06/08/telltale-creating-episodic-jurassic-park-games.aspx

As revealed in the new July issue of Game Informer, Telltale Games, the developer behind the recent Sam & Max and Tales of Monkey Island revivals, will be creating a new series of episodic games based on the Jurassic Park license.

Telltale has a new deal with NBC Universal to create games based on their intellectual properties. The first game under the deal will be a full "season" using the Jurassic Park license. It's unclear how many episodes that will entail, but previous Telltale seasons have lasted between four and six episodes, with one episode released every month.

Telltale CEO Dan Connors described the project: "For Jurassic Park, we will leverage Telltale's expertise in storytelling and game design to deliver on the tension and drama of the series creating the ultimate cinematic adventure."

The first episode of the new Jurassic Park game is planned to launch later this year. Hopefully we'll see more about this exciting project next week at E3.

I have to wonder if NBC Universal heard all the Jeff Goldblum jokes on the podcast. Or were those clever hints all along? :grin:

Oh yes! Holy crap! :woohoo:

Telltale has to get Jeff Goldgate Goldblum as a voice actor in the games! There's no other choice now. :)

Is this for real? It seems bizarre and awesome.

Jake? Famous? Jurassic Park adventure game?

It had better contain Goldblum laugh.

well, seeing as how Jurassic Park 4 is going to be sort of a reboot (and supposedly "unlike anything you've ever seen"), maybe it will lend itself nicely to an adventure game adaptation. Or even a PuzzleAgent-esque puzzle game?

Jurassic Park: Total War?! It's the jurassic park, telltale, sega team up to create a new hybrid of episodic adventure games and the total war series.

I'll believe it when it's gone Gold.

Gate gold jeffbloom

All I know is that I hope there's a limited edition that comes with Samuel L. Jackson's prop hand.

Shit, Jeff Goldblum was in Jurassic Park? (totally outing myself as a weird old man who's totally out of touch with pop culture...like Chris on the podcast: "I was reading about this film called, Bad Boys 2.")

I can but imagine Jake having full access to a virtual Jeff Goldblum...

This is the best news I heard yesterday. (read?)

As if it mattered, I've been trying to think of the perfect Jurassic Park quote to memorialize this occasion, but all I can think of is Sam Neil's sly look at the kids when he reveals he had only been pretending to electrocute himself to death and leave the two minors stranded in a forest of dinosaurs.

I'm assuming this will be handled by the CSI guys? Isn't that a wholly separate department of people who don't have anything to do with the MI and S&M games?

... And Back to the Future ?

Not sure what to think of this. I'm not a huge fan of Jurassic Park and I haven't watched any of the Back to the Future movies. I hope the games will be great, though.

I am happy that these two things are being resurrected as games, but you know: cautious optimism.

I haven't watched any of the Back to the Future movies.

Fix this and you will not regret it.

This is kind of lame, but we should just keep going like Jeff Goldblum is going to appear in this game so that it will eventually come true.

You can't have Jurassic Park without Dr. Malcolm! He can't be that expensive, his funds and career sense operate on a different numerical plane than all of us.

As if it mattered, I've been trying to think of the perfect Jurassic Park quote to memorialize this occasion, but all I can think of is Sam Neil's sly look at the kids when he reveals he had only been pretending to electrocute himself to death and leave the two minors stranded in a forest of dinosaurs.

We all thought the Jurassic Park franchise was dead...

But Life Will Find a Way!

The first Jurassic Park film and the source novel had glimpses of a really nice, I dunno, theme I guess. More than a theme though; an atmosphere. It was the wonder of dinosaurs as felt when we are small children, but spiced with the strange behaviours they exhibit when people confront them for real. We know nothing about them so they are surprising and as exotic as alien lifeforms are likely to be. Learning about each species as a living creature was just as important as - and crucial to - surviving the island.

Ah yes, the Island. The whole Lost World thing was an major part - like King Kong the island needs personality and secrets of its own. Obviously Crichton subverted it slightly by creating a theme park made in the image of a lost civilization, rather than the thing itself - but it still had the same thrill. Add in the child's-eye glamour of safari and Indiana Jonesian field science.

All this needs to be in place before you even begin with the survival horror and peril stuff and must remain present throughout.

So yes I see potential here. But if they follow the path carved by the sequels then it could fall pretty flat.

This is the best news I heard yesterday. (read?)

Hold on to you butts.

Wasn't the hole point of Jurassic park the ultra great big bada bum quality of the dinosauers? I have nothing against Telltale,in fact I love their art direction, but I just can't see it sinhronise with the JP universe that good.

This is Adventure, I know this.

Jurassic01.jpg

Edited by elmuerte

That saber-toothed thing sure looks angry.

Wasn't the hole point of Jurassic park the ultra great big bada bum quality of the dinosauers? I have nothing against Telltale,in fact I love their art direction, but I just can't see it sinhronise with the JP universe that good.

Yeah. I'm interested to see how good they can make the dinosaur look. A cartoon look just wouldn't feel right if you ask me.