LOPcagney

Borderlands

I've already got a pre-order in on the Xbox version, but all the talk of the vast gap in graphical quality might be enough for me to break down and buy the PC version, too.

I've already got a pre-order in on the Xbox version, but all the talk of the vast gap in graphical quality might be enough for me to break down and buy the PC version, too.

But what if it sucks balls? Like, really, really badly?

I have a good feeling about this game. Having played and enjoyed Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway I actually quite like Gearbox's out put and am awaiting Borderlands' release on the Xbox 360.

With there being a dearth of games coming out before Christmas that aren't Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 I don't have much else to look forward to.

I want it to be good so badly...

But come on.

I feel like they're trying to hard. I know I said this earlier, but I really think this is interesting enough without all the cartoonishness.

In theory though, the game sounds fantastic and I'm going to remain pessimistically hopeful.

But come on.

I feel like they're trying to hard. I know I said this earlier, but I really think this is interesting enough without all the cartoonishness.

In theory though, the game sounds fantastic and I'm going to remain pessimistically hopeful.

Eh, I don't blame them, the market is rife with samey fps's, if this is what they have to do to stand out then so be it. God forbid we have a shooter with a sense of humor. (Of course I'm more excited for Serious Sam HD than I am for Modern Warfare 2...)

But what if it sucks balls? Like, really, really badly?

I'm willing to take the risk. Plus, talk from other sources that have similar taste in games have displayed a pretty positive attitude towards it.

Edited by Lord Korax

But come on.

Decently funny Christian Bale spoof? Please and thank you. Where's the problem?

Edited by Floordje
clarity

NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO BUY THIS FOR PC. EVERYBODY MUST BUY IT FOR XBOX 360. MY DECISION IS FINAL.

I'M WRONG.

Edited by Chris

Picked up my preorder and have played maybe an hour. I don't want to say yet what I think (it's honestly too early to tell). But I want to comment on how damn derivative it is in certain ways. I haven't listened to the most recent podcast yet, so forgive me if the thumbs already said this stuff. But there's a bus driver in the beginning who's exactly like a fatter version of Roman Bellic (Belic?) from GTA IV. He has a bobblehead of himself...which is just weird. He even has the same accent as Roman. That's right...he sounds Eastern European, for no reason I can think of (I'm half-convinced it's actually the same actor...but I'm probably wrong.). Next there's the guardian angel who is a fuzzy video of a young woman that you see in front of your face at specific times (Kortana (sp?) from Halo, anyone?). Also...The bandit guys that are all over the place have white masks that make them look a lot like the foot soldier guard dudes in Half-Life 2. I wonder how cognizant Gearbox was of all this stuff when they were making the game. So far...I kind of think Borderlands is to Fallout 3 what Fable II Was to Oblivion, if you know what I mean. That's not necessarily a bad thing, by the way.

So far...I kind of think Borderlands is to Fallout 3 what Fable II Was to Oblivion, if you know what I mean. That's not necessarily a bad thing, by the way.
I can safely say I have no idea what you mean.

Wouldn't it be awesome if you hair caught on fire and your cat exploded after stating that ?:getmecoat

Think God of War meets Dead Space in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. And then imagine that the wasteland is actually something you're experiencing through a virtual reality helmet in 2029. And then you take the helmet off and put on your TimeDonkey time-helmet and go back to 2009, and then you play borderlands, and you're like..."this is sort of like Fallout 3...but stripped down in terms of detail, much lighter in tone...and mechanically maybe more fluid and less clunky."

I am really enjoying the game on 360, but I can't be sure if it's just my obsession with levelling up.... the simple talent tree and XP has me sucked in.

From what I'm reading and Nick's comments, the story sounds very light. Is there still a discrete plotline or progression that arrives at an ending or is it just procedural forever?

From what I'm reading and Nick's comments, the story sounds very light. Is there still a discrete plotline or progression that arrives at an ending or is it just procedural forever?

I can only speak for the VERY early parts of the game, but so far the game has just dumped me into a zone, I've unlocked another zone, and there are NPCs giving out quests in a manner that is extremely reminiscent of World of Warcraft.

I normally consider story to be a really important part of the game, but I'm enjoying Borderlands despite the relative weakness in the story. There is talk from Cortana... I mean some weird disembodied woman with dark hair and bangs, about a kind of endgame thing but I'm not that bothered.

Setting is great though. I really like it.

I picked this up on a lark and It's better made than I expected. Having said that, I'm having less fun than I expected because I just find it really tough. I mean I already knew I'm pretty awful at shooters, but I figured the rpg aspect of it would help me out, but it really doesn't as you can't grind on stuff way below you in level. Maybe I just picked the wrong class. I went with Mordecai. What is everyone else using and how easy/hard a time are y'all having with it?

I have *not* run into the boss-just-standing-around phenomenon described in the podcast. To the contrary, every boss completely rapes me. I've died at least twice on every boss I've encountered.

I picked this up on a lark and It's better made than I expected. Having said that, I'm having less fun than I expected because I just find it really tough. I mean I already knew I'm pretty awful at shooters, but I figured the rpg aspect of it would help me out, but it really doesn't as you can't grind on stuff way below you in level. Maybe I just picked the wrong class. I went with Mordecai. What is everyone else using and how easy/hard a time are y'all having with it?

I have *not* run into the boss-just-standing-around phenomenon described in the podcast. To the contrary, every boss completely rapes me. I've died at least twice on every boss I've encountered.

I'm not as far into it as some of the guys here, I'm around level 17 right now. I picked a Brawler and I'm loving it. I have hit a brick wall here and there but I've generally gotten around it.

The big things I would say are to get a shield that regenerates your health as soon as you can, use grenades liberally (they tend to drop fairly regularly), and try and put yourself in a situation where you can back up and shoot skags/humans as they run at you without getting yourself in more trouble.

Finally, I have been able to kind of grind a bit by using vehicles to blow the crap out of skags, rakk and humans with much less danger of dying.