gdf

Life

My dad is really into film and has a full sound and visual set up, you cant watch anything on a projector if you have other light sources in the room(at least based off what I've seen). If you get a projector you have to be prepared to invest your attention on the media being displayed, it cant be just put on in the background like a tv. Its a really sweet thing to get into though if you want to put the time in to enjoy it. 

My experience with a projector is that you need to black-out the room. Which I personally hate since one bright object in a dark room gives me a headache. I've also played megadrive on a projector at a buddy's house. It worked with the lights on, but you don't see much detail like that, and the colours are kinda shitty without total darkness. 

Ooh I never mentioned how my solo travel went. I was super excited and happy about it!

I went there a little bit for sightseeing, but mainly I went there cos I've always had this phobia of being alone and hanging around by myself. So this was like my big test, I went to travel around and make my own fun by myself.
It went so well! A bunch of strangers I've never met wanted to be friends with me, I totally accomplished some fun stuff and went outside of my comfort zone. I was scared that maybe I'd bumble around and just shut myself in a box and feel sorry for myself, but no I was confident and capable and approachable and a nice guy to be around. People like that are totally my heroes, and I was so happy to see myself being that!

Friends told me that you'll sit around, and people will just approach and want to be friends with you, but I was adamant that that's a fantasy, and people aren't like that unless you're a pretty young girl sitting by herself at a bar. WELP! If you throw yourself into certain situations; life is like that, and I'm happy to be a part of it.

The newest generations of projectors are MUCH brighter than older projectors.  Ours is totally usable/fine with a reading lamp going in the evening.  We do have heavy curtains for the windows during the day though, that's pretty much required.  Light control is the biggest issue in thinking about the room though.

You have to take some measurements of your room as well if you start looking at particular projectors.  Most projectors have some zoom capability, but the size of screen they can put out from any particular distance will be limited.  So from 10 foot from the screen, a projector might be able to put out a 70-100 inch image.  The zoom range on projectors varies a ton, so if you only have a limited number of options on where you could possibly have a projector, you'll want to make sure you can get one that will actually throw the size of screen you want from that distance. 

Yes!! We were both at Epicon, a pretty disappointing gaming convention in the Netherlands, and we didn't know until per accident I scouted a 'No Time To Explain' shirt on someone while wrapping up. Then, Jeff Goldblumming and Babooing commenced. I-smell performed a terrifying bear hug, and there was literally no time to explain, since I had a party waiting for me. If only I'd known you were there, I'd have dropped by to game & chat! Now we'll have to wait for the anticipated Dutch Thumb Dumb Times Meeting.

I said "I'm gonna put this TV down and then I'm gonna hug you, so get ready for that." and I think you didn't register that as instruction.

Hahaha the con was KIND OF dissapointing. I'd never heard of it, and I know s'Hertogenbosch is hardly the capital of the world, so I expected something really small. Personally I was surprised by the crowd, we had a good group of players playing for most of the weekend, I'd give it a thumbs up. There was one hall with a manageably small number of booths, and nothing to eat but hotdogs and candy for 2 days, but the crowd was just busy enough to justify going.

Lots of cosplayers.

Seeing an Idle Thumbs listener coalesce in our physical plane, outside of the web-realm, made it worth it imo.

We exchanged baboos, I'd be a dead certain if anyone wanted to go out for beers in NL. I don't know who else is here.

Ooh here's the busiest photo of the tinyBooth I took, by the way:

10301944_10152415322356461_3523409011190

Yes!! We were both at Epicon, a pretty disappointing gaming convention in the Netherlands, and we didn't know until per accident I scouted a 'No Time To Explain' shirt on someone while wrapping up. Then, Jeff Goldblumming and Babooing commenced. I-smell performed a terrifying bear hug, and there was literally no time to explain, since I had a party waiting for me. If only I'd known you were there, I'd have dropped by to game & chat! Now we'll have to wait for the anticipated Dutch Thumb Dumb Times Meeting.

There's always an open invitation for boardgames every last sunday of the month at my place ;)

Epicon was a failboat that I saw coming a mile away. It's a convention organised way too ambitiously by a few companies with a commercial target. Compare that to the vibrant anime convention scene in the Netherlands, which is organised by and through the community intself. Those are the events you want to visit: Animecon, Abunai, maybe FACTS in Belgium. Alternatively, go to Gamescom in Cologne (the biggest thing in Europe), and I don't know if they still do FirstLook over here. That might be worth it.

My bet is that Epicon won't see another year.

Osmosisch, get your northern ass down to the south.

When I originally looked at these articles, they mentioned that a new Samsung bare-bones model on there that they hadn't had a chance to test yet. I decided to purchase it, and I've really loved it so far. Only 2 HDMI ports, no in-tv app garbage, just the best screen you can get for the price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4OBXWI/

Edit: Oh, and a really good response time for video games.

There's always an open invitation for boardgames every last sunday of the month at my place ;)

That statement comes with a big warning: In the middle of nowhere. As far as nowhere goes in the Netherlands.

That would seem the most reasonable place to meet. How's everyone doing with vacation time? I've got a ton of time in August to meet up. Lu! Get your ass in here!

That's understandable, though we'd be happy to see you of course.

To the rest, say that I would propose Saturday 23rd or Sunday 24th of August for the Dutch meetup. Say. How would you respond to that?

I'm in Poland then; if you make it one week later I'm back and might be able to wrangle a day off from being a family man. Are we thinking evening or daytime? If it's late I'll need a place to crash, though I might be able to arrange something with friends in Amersfoort.

A week later is tough for me, I'm on a convention all weekend. I'd say we should go for daytime with possible extension into the evening, grab a bite somewhere? Let's make it memorable.

We are without power and can't leave because an electrical line is down on top of our cars. Power company says they might have it fixed by tonight.

post-33601-0-17636400-1404833134_thumb.jpg

My friend (business guy, not stupid, but definitely not scientific) thought that alternating current meant that if you got electrocuted, someone could "alternate" the current to the "other" current and stop you getting electrocuted. When pressed on the workings of such a system, he changed it to "the current is alternating, so when it is in the middle, you can use a stick to push the power cord off the person safely".

I suppose that's true if you could react to it in less than 1/60th of a second.

Ya, its 50Hz over here, so he would have even more time.