gdf

Life

Bah, I'll bite the bullet and read it. I mean, I have enough experience to get by; but I've never been so tormented by someone I hardly know. I hope I'm not in love or anything. Man, love is bad, like running backwards on a treadmill while someone tells you the ending to what could've been your favorite movie.

(Also, calling her a witch was just a joke.)

So I'm getting ready to make a move from Saginaw, MI to Austin, TX in about a month, going to stay with by half brother initially while I look for a job. In a perfect world I would have a better plan, but the current situation I'm in is unstable and a drain on my savings. so I need to go before it gets worse. Anyone have any general moving tips? I'll be driving my old clunker all the way down, it will probably cost me like 300 dollars in gas, but it's still cheaper then a plane ticket and buying a new car. Can I sleep in my car at rest stops to save money? Anyone live in Texas can tell me anything important I should know?

Bah, I'll bite the bullet and read it. I mean, I have enough experience to get by; but I've never been so tormented by someone I hardly know. I hope I'm not in love or anything. Man, love is bad, like running backwards on a treadmill while someone tells you the ending to what could've been your favorite movie.

(Also, calling her a witch was just a joke.)

A better book is 'The Myth of... Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus".

Written by a linguist (I believe), it takes a much more analytical approach to the things discussed, and is apparently a very good read. I haven't read it myself, but this year's English Language course dictates I shall - so I'll let you know then!

So I'm getting ready to make a move from Saginaw, MI to Austin, TX in about a month, going to stay with by half brother initially while I look for a job. In a perfect world I would have a better plan, but the current situation I'm in is unstable and a drain on my savings. so I need to go before it gets worse. Anyone have any general moving tips? I'll be driving my old clunker all the way down, it will probably cost me like 300 dollars in gas, but it's still cheaper then a plane ticket and buying a new car. Can I sleep in my car at rest stops to save money? Anyone live in Texas can tell me anything important I should know?

I would camp at national and state parks rather than in a car by the side of the road. You should be able to make the trip with one night's sleep somewhere in the middle. What specific Texas tips would you like? Job finding? Living without cold weather?

Haha, oh wow, I drove from Houston once to Kalamazoo in a matter of 22 hours with three friends for an animation competition thingy. I bet you could do it in two days. You could probably also load up on a bunch of speed, get a radar detector and do it in 16 hours maybe. (kidding)

I live in Austin on the weekends until I find a job in the city, but I kind of have been dragging my butt in Houston around my regular job here/there.

Austin has a great bus system though if you don't want to waste gas driving your car around. I have a friend who regularly uses the buses there if you need tips on the most economical bus pass or something. He uses Google transit to find the routes regularly. I don't know if that's what you were looking for as far as tips.

I broke it off. No regrets. Already moved on. Phew. Will read any recommended books, though.

That's a lovely pair of posts together.

It was a lovely pair of pants too.

What a shame.

Don't knock it. This isn't an ordinary gift. This is 'Gift', with a capital letter. It transcends mere giftdom and becomes an act of purest Giftitude.

I got asked out today. Twice.

Said no, but "maybe later".

Crazy.

Oh you sly devil you.

Best book ever = The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy in Five Parts. Buy it now, and leave me a Thank-you message when you're done.

Alright. I think the lady at the bookshop will be wondering what's with all the sci-fi and love-advice books I'll be picking up on my next trip to the shop. Thanks for recommending.

Alright. I think the lady at the bookshop will be wondering what's with all the sci-fi and love-advice books I'll be picking up on my next trip to the shop. Thanks for recommending.

When you pick them up, give her a sly wink. Let her know she's in with a shot.

You must get all the ladies, Speedy. :mock:

Forget these fools; what you really want to be doing is reading The Road. It's a feel-good romp packed with hilarious hijinx! It'll perk you right up!

I hear that the Twilight series of books are a really great read too...

I hear that the Twilight series of books are a really great read too...

Kill it with fire.

^ I saw that (oops, no hotlinking) this and thought of this thread. It's a sad end to the plaque, but not necessarily his life. I admire his strength.

Sorry to hear about your problems Kroms.

So here's a story: There's a girl (not the recent ex) who things got pretty intense with. So intense, and with an intractable conflict, that we had to give it up. In a month, we've bumped into each other highly improbably in two cities that neither of us live in.

I was pootling along quite happily single, and puzzlingly still feel that way, yet after the second time I'm having a sudden relapse over her. I think it's more about the connection there was between us than my current urges/needs. The way she's looked at me the few times we have been in the same room in the past year hasn't helped. I need to nuke my heart from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Edited by Nachimir

Not sure of the specifics Nachimir, but it may be worth a shot to try again maybe?

Sometimes having gone through a lot of pain with someone only helps make you have a stronger bond in the end.

Granted, both parties would have to try for a healthier relationship this time. This seems to work with old friends as well, in my experience.

Although there are some people in my life I would never want anything to do with ever again. I try to pretend they don't exist.

I don't know. On several counts. We don't hate each other and never really fought; if anything there's a distance between us and we both wish it wasn't there.

Me: Highly sexed atheist.

She: Religiously chaste.

It was obvious we were attracted to each other, but anticipating the issue meant we spent two years getting to know each other casually before I made a move. By that time, we cared about each other quite a lot already.

The religion/lack of it isn't an issue for either of us, but I think not having sex before marriage is a dumb way to have a relationship. I'm somewhat prejudiced by my past; her religion isn't as extreme as the JWs were with it (i.e. telling teenagers "If you have sex before marriage GOD WILL KILL YOU", which is an amazing recipe for the creation of fetishes*, alcoholics and naive couples).

Basically though, neither of us really believes the other's outlook on sexuality is healthy. It was a pretty fundamental sticking point, no matter how fond of each other we were, and the fact that things were going a little further every time we were together was, understandably, freaking her out quite a bit. Even if she does have feelings for me still, I'm dubious about putting either of us back in that situation.

* not that they're a bad thing, I just think this is very interesting cause and effect.

Edited by Nachimir

Eep. That doesn't sound like fun at all. Why must relationships be nothing like they're like on TV? It's seems so unfair.

And what a very crappy situation. It's hard to believe that there are people out there who could be quite happy to marry someone who wasn't religious, but who also don't believe in sex before marriage...

Ultimately very sad for both of you :(