Sign in to follow this  
Alex P

BioShock 2

How about Big Daddy fights? It seems to me that that still fits the mood of the original game, and if you became a greater target the more sisters you collect, I could see them turning it into a very tense experience.

Yeees, but where's this picture of the Big Sister people keep talking about? Is it the GameInformer cover?

Yes, the GameInformer Cover. Right underneath it, it states "Big Sister Awaits Your Return to Rapture". Either that's some seriously shitty and misleading reporting, or that is, in fact, the Big Sister.

I guess we'll find out. I just get the vibe that's the player character Big Daddy.

I hate the head, whoever it is. The rest is AOK for me.

Wait, is that a Little Sister in a cage?

I'm still not even sold that this game really needs a sequel at all, but at least it doesn't sound terrible... I just better not be playing as a Big Daddy the entire freakin' game.

I'm still not even sold that this game really needs a sequel at all, but at least it doesn't sound terrible... I just better not be playing as a Big Daddy the entire freakin' game.

*Alex P's head explodes* (Read why.)

*Alex P's head explodes* (Read why.)

I know that you play AS "the" big daddy, hell you played as one in the first game, I just don't want to play the WHOLE game as one. There's been talk that Bioshock 2 will be a prequel, and maybe that's still true (even though the events of B2 will take place AFTER the first game). It may be interesting to do flashback segments (pre-Bioshock 1) integrated with the post-Bioshock 1 content.

Basically, it'd be a prequel, AND a sequel. *head a splode*

I think Bioshock2 will be good. I didn't really have high opinion of the original Bioshock anyway, so I have a hard time convincing myself that the sequel will be any worse.

Having just finished Bioshock, I immediately checked out the teaser site for bioshock 2. It's still being updated nearly every week. And got some intriguing stuff going on. A lot of back story to Rapture and other interesting stuff. Check it out: http://www.somethinginthesea.com/home.html

Reviews of Bioshock 2 are out!

Any cold curiosity I had about the game has now dissolved, thanks to these helpful words from Alec Meer of Rock, Paper, Shotgun:

As a game that’s like System Shock 2: it’s not at all.

and

[A]nyone who’s spent the last two years filling forums with spite whenever the first game is mentioned will only feel more ostracized by this.

Hey, that describes me! Have fun with this game, everybody else!

He liked the game though, for the shootin'. It's a good game for bloody murder.

I enjoyed the first ~30 minutes. Very Bioshock-y. Yeah, I know, not very insightful, but that's all I've got. I'll probably play a hell of a lot more tomorrow, so I'll follow up.

Hmz... my copy might be in the mail... or not... I suck lately in buying games.

Downloading the game as I type. Pretty excited to try it, as finishing ME2 two days ago means I have a bit of time for a new game. Wouldn't have gone for it if not for a friend asking me if I wanted to go in on a 4 pack, but as this made it reasonably cheap, I'm excited for some game.

I'm really bad at shooter games, so I mostly fought using plasmids and the wrench, which got me past enough enemies to just have fun exploring.

I loathed BioShock's combat; splicers did nothing[\i] but run in a straight line towards you shooting and/or mauling you. Combat was as tedious as jamming on the A button in Final Fantasy.

Ultimately I ended up doing what you did. I upgraded to Natural Camouflage and my wrench to Frozen Field. Sneaking around, bopping guys on the head and rendering them motionless was preferable to a routine exchange of damage.

I actually think it's a good thing for Bioshock 2 to focus on the combat, and it's great that you don't have to pause the action to switch from a gun to a plasmid. But combat is still nothing but splicers! I can't approve of that.

I wonder if I'd like these games better if there was a mod that removed the splicers and turned Rapture into nothing but Big Daddies and Little Sisters...?

So, with more enemies, more hardcore FPSing and less thrilling plot... I'll pass thanks.

Yup, I agree completely. I'm sure it's a very good game, but I loved Bioshock dearly in spite of the combat more than anything else. The sequel just isn't doing anything to inspire my interest.

Thanks for that review. Now I know for sure that this game is not for me. What I loved about the original Bioshock was the plot, the design and the fact that the gameplay was fairly relaxed and not too brutal an FPS. I'm really bad at shooter games, so I mostly fought using plasmids and the wrench, which got me past enough enemies to just have fun exploring.

So, with more enemies, more hardcore FPSing and less thrilling plot... I'll pass thanks.

Ditto.

I don't think I'll ever understand why people like Bioshock for the plot, especially the part where you kill one boss, only to discover that the real boss is still out there. And bigger. Badder. I haven't seen that before. And he's almost dangerous - almost. Through the scientific method of trial and error, I discovered that Atlas, in his fire, ice or electric forms, could be destroyed by a measly wrench, and not a strong wrench either. He could also be destroyed by baby pistols, bows and arrows, plant spray (insecticide?) and some randomly thrown mines. Anyways, I also don't get the love for the deep moral dilemma of whether or not to murder brainwashed little girls. I mean, would I murder the Hitler Youth? Would I not murder the Hitler Youth? I think I'd like to sit down, have a cup of of intellectual coffee - tea - and mull it over.

Kill the little bitches.

For reals, though, they're lazy enough to name the guy Jack Ryan. That's not exactly nose-to-the-grindstone narrative.

Yeah, but compared to most games it was Shakespeare. But really it wasn't just the main thread, it was all the little stories too, and the atmosphere they built up in this beautiful Art Deco world. I remember feeling quite ill when I discovered the parents of the little girl that went missing, for instance.

I don't think I'll ever understand why people like Bioshock for the plot, especially the part where you kill one boss, only to discover that the real boss is still out there. And bigger. Badder. I haven't seen that before. And he's almost dangerous - almost. Through the scientific method of trial and error, I discovered that Atlas, in his fire, ice or electric forms, could be destroyed by a measly wrench, and not a strong wrench either. He could also be destroyed by baby pistols, bows and arrows, plant spray (insecticide?) and some randomly thrown mines. Anyways, I also don't get the love for the deep moral dilemma of whether or not to murder brainwashed little girls. I mean, would I murder the Hitler Youth? Would I not murder the Hitler Youth? I think I'd like to sit down, have a cup of of intellectual coffee - tea - and mull it over.

'The plot' for me was nothing to do with any of that. Other than a short moment of thrill when the whole 'Would you kindly?' thing was revealed, what I liked most was the audio diaries and the character arcs revealed through them. The fact that characters like Diane McClintock or Bill McDonagh still stand out in my mind is a testament to how well they were drawn out by the designers.

(Yes, I had to look up their names, but their personalities and stories are strong in my memory)

Edited by thorn

Pity all the rumors about the next game taking place in a different isolated utopia turned out to be false. What kept me playing Bioshock was exploring the unusual setting, but I don't see why I'd want to revisit the same place (Even if it supposedly goes to different parts of Rapture it's still gonna have to have the same overall feel of the environments of the first game).

Now Geoshock, the failed underground community? That I'd like to visit.

I think I'll pass too. I didn't find BioShock very interesting when I originally started playing it, but after a lot of people hyped it, I decided to try again and it was quite an enjoyable shooter, with an awesome atmosphere. But I did find parts of it boring, and if the second game is just more of the same with better combat, I'm not that interested.

Also, I still have Mass Effect 2 and Assassin's Creed 2 and Uncharted (both) to play, those are must plays for me right now.