Spaff

Plain Sight

Right, a new build of this is now available,

We're happy to announce a brand spanking new build of Plain Sight beta. Go forth and download

This will be the last internal build before the 2-3 week long open beta that starts next week. So, we really need all your help swashing the bugs before we go public!

This version includes :

• Networking - We've heavily optimized the networking code so there should be much less lag. Also we've fixed a number of LAN hosting issues.

• Little Bang - A new level for your enjoyment. It's awesome!

• Customization of games - You can now alter various aspects of the game play. These include: limiting the number of in air attacks and dashes and the ability to steal a percentage of points off players (rather than one hit kill). Also, you can now choose any name you like in the options menu.

• Blocking - players are now repelled when blocked.

• Bug Fixes - Loads! Alt-Tab now works...

This build should really add mode of a skill element to Plain Sight. There are some aspects (such as the new blocking) that require tweaking - please leave feedback the forums!

As there isn't much time to test prior to the open beta we've decided to have two daily playing sessions. These will be at 19:00 GMT and 19:00 PST.

All the best

The Beatnik Games Team

I'm gonna jump into those daily sessions and help the guys out, I'll be there tonight hopefully, not tomorrow due to mister Obama, but then again on Wednesday.

Come join me? :)

sorry about the xmas plays sessions, i wastaken out of action:

http://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6173

hehe.

I still have yet to play against someone else in this game. I'll try to make it to one (or several) of the PST sessions.

Little Bang is quite difficult, the debris is in the way quite often.

I had an "interesting" set up in the first game I hosted, I gave unlimited dashing. So you could stay in the air for ever :)

I tried to login in to the website to see if there'd been any speed improvements with the new build, but I didn't have any luck. Is my account still valid..? :erm:

You don't even need an account for the latest build wrestle.

Also I've been meaning to ask you, did you run it in full screen? I know some people have had really bad frame rates in windowed mode but it has run fine when full screen...

You don't even need an account for the latest build wrestle.

Oh, OK. I was getting a 404 on the Plain Sight website when I tried to access the 'Beta' section. Got the same thing when I tried to login to the website too. :erm:

Also I've been meaning to ask you, did you run it in full screen? I know some people have had really bad frame rates in windowed mode but it has run fine when full screen...

Yeah, always run full screen as I typically get a decent performance boost on my aging PC If I do.

It's a P4HT 2.6GHz with 2.5GB of 3200 RAM and an OEM GeForce FX5200, which quite likely isn't anywhere near powerful enough to properly run something built in XNA. :violin:

But hey, it was free! :getmecoat

Plain sight also got a plug on Kotaku and Rock Paper Shotgun!

I don't really play PC games but good luck to you.

It's a big deal, and I'm really pleased for eljay, Alex and the rest of the Beatniks. Really hope this continues to rocket for you guys. :tup:

Grabbed the latest build and was happy to see that it finally worked :tup:

Played a bit of it and liked what I saw. Was lagging a little bit (and got totally destroyed) but the action was very kinetic and I liked how the motion was handled. The trails the characters leave and the effects of gravity and attacks on the movement, and the the sparse aesthetic remind me in someways of JP's (idle thumbs guest two weeks ago) Purity.

Look forward to trying it when there are more people playing (only a couple were one when I tried it.)

the exploded robot map is really insane... gravity changes all over the place

Tried out the beta and I like what I see. Though it was kinda hard to navigate around first, you get used it. The lack of players is disappointing.

Most of the time I jumped around with only two or three others at most. In those circumstances it seems to me that the player with the most kills always remains at the top. The bottom players are never able to kill the top player and thus end up leaving the game. Or maybe that was just my initial impression.

Still great to play anyway.:tup:

I found that too Scratch. It also seems to me that the top player is either the host or the guy with the lowest ping. Hopefully that will be fixed as the network code improves. Either that or some kind of handicap needs to added for top-scorers (or else other people just give up, as you observed).

there are quite a number of gameplay changes being added soon that should address some of those things hopefully!

I played it some this weekend with my 4 year old son and we both had a blast! I found that when sprint-charging sometimes the game crashed but that is my only complaint. I used a 3rd party 360 controller in Windows on my Macbook Pro, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Also, it was oddly reminiscent of a game prototype that I made myself some time ago. I don't have a screenshot to link to at the moment but you can see it about halfway through my demo reel if anyone is interested. Robot planet hopping stuff.