Spaff

New Duke Nukem Forever screenshot and trailer....huh?

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6184131.html?part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6184131

WTF is going on.

Last night in Garland, Texas, developer 3D Realms had its Christmas Party. According to the developer community manager Joe Siegler, the celebrations were like many previous events, full of mirth and merriment and (presumably) freely flowing beverages.

However, there was one major difference between this year's 3D Realms bash and those previous. Apparently the evening revelry was capped by a brief teaser for the studios' infamously delayed first-person shooter, Duke Nukem Forever.

"Several people had been secretly working late nights and into the wee hours of the morning preparing a special video for those at the party," said Siegler in a post on the official 3D Realms Web site. "We'd like to thank the people on the team that worked so hard to create this teaser and the friends of 3DR that helped create it (Jeremy Soule and Julian Soule, Frank Bry, Jason Evigan and of course, Jon St. John)."

Why does a closed-door viewing of a title widely regarded as vaporware matter to a gaming public now allowed inside? It matters because around noon CST tomorrow, 3D Realms will be opening its virtual doors to the world to show off the Duke Nukem Forever teaser. The preview will be the first publicly screened DNF video since the 2001 Electronic Entertainment Expo and the first footage of the latest version of the oft-reworked game.

"After seeing the teaser we thought it was something we should share with all of you and while it's just a teaser, rest assured more is coming," said Siegler before thanking DNF fans for their "continued patience." 3D Realms also released a new screenshot (above) from the latest version of the game, which shows its bare-armed, cigar chomping hero.

dnfwtf_screen001.jpg

P.S in far more interesting news, I am awake at 7:30am today, my week off, because the freezer repair man is insane and decided to come this early... who the fuck does that?

also he i unable to work without speaking to himself... this is what i cn hear right now:

"OK what's next? Right I need a five, where's a five, where's a five, ah there you are, ok soooo now i need to pop this on here... ok, five two... five two... one, two... five. six two? hang on where's five two? Damn it...Right, that's that... that's that! Right. That goes up that way, that goes with that, hmm err *thump* right!"

i want to go back to sleep :(

Which begs the question: just who is he instructing to "shake it, baby"?

Why does Duke look like the love child of Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger?

Teaser isn't that great (it's really a teaser).

Most of it is Duke working out. But you'll also see a few monsters:

- Enforcer

- a pig cop

- Octobrain (looks quite impressive)

- Protozoid Slimer (I think)

Well, it does seem like they're trying to capture what made Duke 3D so popular in the first place... It feels the same, but obviously the last line, which should have been funny, was not funny. I'm sure the original voice guy did a better job (although, for all I know, this IS the original guy).

Why does Duke look like the love child of Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger?

That's how he's always looked. I think he was designed to be specifically a cross between those two actors... He's supposed to be a tongue in cheek version of those two, with Ash from The Evil Dead thrown in for comedy.

That's how he's always looked. I think he was designed to be specifically a cross between those two actors... He's supposed to be a tongue in cheek version of those two, with Ash from The Evil Dead thrown in for comedy.

there was never a piece of Willis in Duke.

ps, still Jon St. John doing the voice of duke.

That was terrible, oh man... it looks no better than it did in 2001

actually it looked pretty good then, now it looks like a five year old amateur CGI project.

:tdown:

Just put it to bed or out source it to someone else already

Freezer update: The guy was unable to fix the Freezer, and ended up doing it more harm than good, probably because of his spastic mumbling, although he did manage to tell me his life story in between failing to fix the freezer and babbling to himself. Look, I don't care if you have pins in your spine and can't feel your leg, I'm really do not give a shit about your 16 year old son's new job as a Kung Fu instructor, and I'm really not prepared to field questions about working with 'computer games' for the umpteenth time, at 7:30am on my week off, especially from someone who's idea of games comes from reading The Sun . If you are going to wake me up at 7:30am with no prior notice, you better fucking well actually achieve something, instead of wasting everyone's time.

Also the previous attempts to fix the freezer were cancelled because you were unable to find a parking space? Jesus Christ, that's the worst excuse, fucking well MAKE a parking space, pull one out of your ass or something.

ah that feels better.

I'm pretty sure this whole incident is a giant metaphor for Duke Nukem Forever and it's life story.

Status update: no ice for martinis... help!

The guy was nice enough, I feel mean now

The bits of Duke in the teaser were pretty bad, but I think that's more down to the animation than the actual graphics quality. The way he moved was just shit and looked so ridiculous after we've had such amazing animation in games recently.

Although with that said, it's worth bearing in mind that during the game you're unlikely to really see Duke himself, so it's entirely likely the 'nights spent putting the teaser together' mentioned in the article were in fact just some guys making some Duke animations for the first time.

Whatever the case, it is so far off hitting the coolness of the 2001 trailer it's beyond belief. I said before this new teaser even came out that it didn't have a hope in hell of outdoing the 2001 trailer though, so I'm not particularly surprised. That thing combined nostalgia with great music and graphics (for the time) perfectly.

I don't think the small clips of the 'gameplay' were too bad. With some polish those bits could actually look great, especially the Pig Cop. I think it's very possible the majority of the teaser was just thrown together as they couldn't think of anything better to do than Duke pumping some weights in a black void. :fart:

Yes when he came to assess the freezer situation initially, James, he told me his life story too, and we established that we know each other through three degrees of separation.

I mean obviously we know each other personally now... but before that? Three degrees. Also he has two sons and a daughter... Grace, Jack and Chris. And they all do Kung Fu. So beware.

(Also that trailer is hilarious and rubbish and unexciting...)

you have pins in your spine and can't feel your leg...

your 16 year old son's new job as a Kung Fu instructor...

Could these things be connected? I sense a dark past here, involving one man's incessant thinking out loud and hence driving his family to seek violent solutions.

After all these years, Duke's voice is just terrible, and since there've been no Evil Dead movies since the last game there's no more good material to steal from. It's simply bad. If I hadn't heard of the game before, I'd lose interest now. Thankfully, I've heard of the game before and so lost interest about five years ago.

Yeah that voice sample was awful. But from whatshisname said, this teaser was never made for public viewing, it was made as an internal xmas party motivational type thing. Lots of games companies do this, I've seen quite a few - they have a video or something at the end of the year as a kind of pat on the back for everyone.

I'm not sure how this particular one will have affected staff morale at 3D Realms though...