toblix

Double Fine

Getting back to the title...

I didn't like it at first, but it's starting to grow on me. I think it's very fitting actually.

The Doublefine Projects page has a banner showing Raz and the label 'Coming Soon'. My best guess is that this just means that they haven't put together a Psychonauts page yet but is it possible that they're still doing something (minigame, new merch, etc) with Psychonauts?

From the recycled Psychonauts art and the lack of a proper Psychonauts page on the Double Fine site, it probably is the unfinished Psychonauts page. That doesn't stop the shifty gaming blogs that generate pagehits from misleading titles and wild speculation from running with it. Bastards for getting my hopes up. :shifty:

Edit: You know, we could start a rumor that the "coming soon" in Psychonauts banner refers to Psychonauts 2, the picture being from the original game just because they haven't had the time to make a new one.

Damn. A missed opportunity.

But yes. It would seem quite odd if a small company like Double Fine revealed two big games at once. It could be a Wii port though, but I don't know if it would make any sense either.

That makes little sense, although it might 'fit' the Wii crowd better.

Hey, crazier things've happen. Okami is coing out for the Wii in spring 2008, so who knows?

Yep. I was sadly right.

Man, who knew how much excitement a little darkness could bring? The truth is we are just putting together a new page about 'The Excellent Game Psychonauts.' We're not announcing any new games or anything. Sorry if we confused anybody! We lightened up the image to hopefully make things clearer.

Yep. I was sadly right.

that doesn't rule out Pyschonauts 2, just that the "coming soon" referred to a page for P1.

The debate was over whether the coming soon art was hinting at a sequel to Psychonauts or just a page for the original game. The coming soon *did* refer to a page for the original game, but that doesn't mean that there will never be another project in the Psychonauts world sometime, just that it was at least not announced in this specific way and time.

also... remember what Tim did last time (with Brutal Legend)

There is less than zero chance that anyone will ever give them money to make a sequel to a game which nobody bought. You can forget it. I'll eat my hat, and anyone else's, if we ever see a follow up to Psychonauts.

Don't mean to sound negative, but...

There is less than zero chance that anyone will ever give them money to make a sequel to a game which nobody bought. You can forget it. I'll eat my hat, and anyone else's, if we ever see a follow up to Psychonauts.

Don't mean to sound negative, but...

Unless they make so much money and cred from Brutal Legends that they have money to burn. :tup:

I actually completely don't understand why any of you are getting your hopes up that there will be another Psychonauts, or anything vaguely Psychonauts related. Surely you know better than this? Tim doesn't do sequels (and history has shown that a wise decision, otherwise we'd be at Day of the Tentacle 4 and maybe Full Throttle 3, and would have never had Grim Fandango, Psychonauts or Brütal Legend), and Psychonauts is most assuredly a thing of the past. If they make something non-gamelike, it's infinitely more reasonable to think it'd be BL-related. You know, because that's still relevant, as much as we all love Psychonauts.

Yeah, although I love Psychonauts I seriously think it's more likely that I'll grow a second cock than another Psychonauts be released. I don't think Double Fine even has the manpower to work on two full-blown games at once, which is what made the media shit about that 'coming soon' image (blatantly the Psychonauts 1 box art) so questionable.

It wasn't a successful game, Tim and Double Fine probably have loads of other ideas brewing and begging to be realised, and in all honesty does the world need more Psychonauts instead of something new and wonderful?

I'd take something new and wonderful, anyway.

Well don't get me wrong, as I've stated abundantly before, I'd love to see something like a Psychonauts cartoon show. The setting, theme and concept lend itself perfectly for it. Something that is made by another, external studio, with writing assistance by DF. That would rock my world. But the chances of Double Fine themselves making something new with Psychonauts are nil.

Of course, the window of opportunity for an external Pnauts-product has already kind of closed because the game is a bit too old already. If they wanted to do this, it should've been done like Viva Piñata with a cartoon show developed alongside the game.

Actually... I've just thought of a way that Psychonauts might get a sequel (a sequel that was indicated to and the end of the game, no less): They could totally change the game, but keep it in the same universe.

They wouldn't have anything to lose: The first game has got good credibility, especially for the characters and the game world, and if someone hasn't heard of it, it wouldn't be detrimental to the game either.

A new game, that offers totally different gameplay, could easily even have a totally different name. Same characters, a sequel for the fans, but different enough to be potentially financial successful!

Hmmm. I better buy that bacon hat, just in case.

Tim doesn't do sequels (and history has shown that a wise decision, otherwise we'd be at Day of the Tentacle 4 and maybe Full Throttle 3, and would have never had Grim Fandango, Psychonauts or Brütal Legend), and Psychonauts is most assuredly a thing of the past.

Day of the Tentacle was Maniac Mansion 2. Just saying. And Double Fine's FAQ page doesn't entirely rule it out.

Thunderpeel, like how Serenity was the Firefly movie, but didn't actually use the Firefly name?

Thunderpeel, like how Serenity was the Firefly movie, but didn't actually use the Firefly name?

Precisely. Something different but all part of the same universe :tup:

Playboy interviewed Tim Schafer. Insert obligatory reading-it-for-the-articles joke here. :naughty:

http://www.playboy.com/magazine/features/video-game-blowout/video-game-blowout7.html

I would love to go back and spend time with the characters from any game I've worked on, and I would love to make a sequel to any of them. But I also want to make something new. If there were five of me I might make sequels, but there's always some new idea I want to explore.

Nothing really new, but still a fun read. Tim gave surprisingly in-depth answers given the interviewer. I'm surprised that Playboy didn't take the initiative to plug Brutal Legend, even though I guess the interview was before the official announcement.

From the IGN interview (page 4), I would like to propose a new Quote of the Moment:

I feel, personally, that you can't make a game with a broad axe in it and not have a decapitation. I feel almost like, that would be a bug. Technically speaking.

so from past history on denying rumors... there will be a psychonauts sequel...

makes you wonder if there'll be a sequel to Brutal Legend.