toblix

Double Fine

OK, so this should be our new Quote of the Moment:

"Go forth! Burn them alive! We are the hope and the future of the games industry."

Alternatively:

"We have machine guns full of ideas, rocket launchers full with passion."

After reading all that, I genuinely wonder what TS will make of BioShock.

The second one sounds a bit lame for Tim Schafer, in my opinion.

Now, this is more like it:

If you dont feed your goose, the eggs will get smaller and smaller.

I like the second quote. It really hits the head on the nail.

There might still be (two) people who haven't noticed that Double Fine has trademarked Brütal Legend. What this means, is that everyone spelling it Brutal Legend from now on is an ignorant jerk.

Gamespot Article:

The trademark covers uses of the phrase in gaming software, comics, art books, action figures, trading cards, yo-yos, and "musical toy instruments, namely, toy guitars." If that doesn't sound enough like the beginning of a merchandising blitz, the trademark further covers "entertainment services, namely, providing an online computer game, a motion picture, an entertainment program television program in the field of action and adventure via a global computer network," and more.

There might still be (two) people who haven't noticed that Double Fine has trademarked Brütal Legend.

...what a rubbish name though. :hah:

It's almost as bad as Rage, or FEAR, or Wet (which happens to be the single most despicable, marketing department-driven computer game I've seen to date).

Yeah, it isn't that great. Certainly not Grim Fandango which I still consider to be the greatest game title ever.

The umlaut and the fact that the game probably isn't going to be a God of War clone make it slightly better, though.

I would deem the chances of a Double Fine game being called Brütal Legend extraordinarily slim. Even with the umlaut, it's a crappy, generic name and last time I checked, they didn't do that over there.

I could be wrong, but after the Rock & Roll Heaven thing, I'm not banking on anything anymore.

Are you kidding? A game about crazy astronauts? What's not to like? etc.

A lot of game titles sound either ridiculously stupid or terribly generic when you actually read them out. In Camp Stupid we have:

Metal Gear Solid

Final Fantasy (10(2))

Call of Duty: Big Red One

Tony Hawk's Underground (well get him out before he suffocates)

Unreal Tournament

Super Smash Bros. Melee/Brawl

While aboard the S.S. Generic is:

Grand Theft Auto

Halo

God of War

Gears of War

And in a complete league of its own:

Freshly Picked: Tingle's Rosy Rupee Land

Thinking up a good game title is never easy. And a good game title is certainly no measure of a game's quality or success.

Dawn of War, God of War, Act of War, Gears of War... man, they sure know how to come up with winning titles.

Kind of interesting that three of them were superb, genre-defining games, though! :tup:

Hey, Grand Theft Auto is a brilliant title. I can't think of another game that has the name of a criminal offence.

I was thinking that too brkl.

Hmm, "Arson" would be a pretty cool name for a game...

Brütal Legend is a good title. Generic enough (Legend) to satisfy marketers, but interesting enough (Brütal) to satisfy... uhh, me.

Also this thread will be hilarious to read back after DF's game is actually announced.

The other thing is with any Double Fine game called Brütal Legend, you know that the sound of the ümlaut will be caused by the presence of a tongue firmly in a cheek.

Dawn of War, God of War, Act of War, Gears of War... man, they sure know how to come up with winning titles.

Yeah like:

• Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army
  • The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle-earth II, The Rise of the Witch-King

I'm sure there's a secret "generic games" GDC session where developers gather round a huge pair of tables on the wall with a giant colon in the middle, and roll dice to see what their next project will be called.

May I ask what's wrong with "Call of Duty: Big Red One?" Sam Fuller's The Big Red One happens to be one of my favorite war movies, and as one of the less-known (I've had to explain to people what it is pretty much every time I've mentioned it) WWII epics, I was really happy to see it get that little tribute. Never played the game, but at least the title makes me happy.