Wrestlevania

Idle Twits

Any other Thumbs fancy a bit of hot Twitter action?

It's kind of like group instant messaging -- but without any shit software from Microsoft. I've been using this in "real life" with a number of industry colleagues and it's a larf. Let all Thumbs twit together!

http://twitter.com/wrestlevania

I'm Bamblesquatch on Twitter nowadays, cos nobody outside of gaming gets the Wv thing. :shifty:

Edited by Wrestlevania

Isn't that functionality included with most MySpace clones? (It is on a Dutch one that I use.)

But I'll sign up out of curiosity. I heard someone mention it during a discussion about web communities last week so it must be hip! :tup:

Isn't that functionality included with most MySpace clones?

Probably, but this way you don't get all the other MySpace "noise". Twitter's just very simple, neat and tidy. :yep:

I've added you to my friends list also -- isn't it wonderful?!

Signed up out of curiosity. Currently trying to find out how to do things via the rather clumsy UI on the site.

I dont quite understand how it works, I already signed up (as jaf) and added wrestlevania and gwarek. Now what?

If I activate the phone option I'll get your messages via sms? Or else I have to check my twitter page to check your messages? :eek:

Signed up out of curiosity. Currently trying to find out how to do things via the rather clumsy UI on the site.

Post your profile URL then! :grin:

Found you.

Now what?

If I activate the phone option I'll get your messages via sms? Or else I have to check my twitter page to check your messages?

Twitter knows when you're online or not and will intelligently switch from sending web-based or IM notifications to SMS notifications, depending on your preferences. You can also set a time when you want Twitter to stop sending you SMS updates, so you don't disturb sleeping housemates/spouses/children.

But yes; if you've not setup your instant message client to receive updates (I use Gaim personally) then you need to visit your Twitter page to see people's updates (the page refreshes automatically though). I have mine open in a tab during office hours - alongside My Google and Basecamp - with SMS updates enabled for when I'm not online.

Thanks. But it seems I can't set the phone notifications, when I text to 40404 I get an error message, is it possible that it's only open to certain countries? Also do I need to add my country prefix? The form automatically adds a +1

Sorry, but the help link won't help... :(

Thanks. But it seems I can't set the phone notifications, when I text to 40404 I get an error message, is it possible that it's only open to certain countries? Also do I need to add my country prefix? The form automatically adds a +1

Sorry, but the help link won't help... :(

Yeah, the help is pretty poor.

I live in the UK, so I've successfully formatted my mobile number thus:

+447790959***

• International prefix (inc. 'plus' symbol)
  • Area code (minus leading zero)
  • Personal number

If you've entered your number correctly you'll be sent an SMS with a code in it, which you then need to send back to Twitter in order to activate phone notifications (you may need to double-check your Twitter preferences before receiving SMS updates though).

Thanks. But it seems I can't set the phone notifications, when I text to 40404 I get an error message...

...and all I can think is "Error: 404"

sorry. :chaste:

As you all may have noticed from my sig, I'm @TimeGentleman

Any more Idle Tweeters since 2009?

Edited by Ben X

@HeerRood here. I had my account for a couple of years but it started gathering dust. Then, yesterday, suddenly Toblix started following me. Resurrection followed.

I'm Bamblesquatch on Twitter nowadays, cos nobody outside of gaming gets the Wv thing. :shifty:

Whereas Bamblesquatch is met with immediate understanding? :erm:

I'm @ThunderPeel2001, but I barely Tweet and may not take the time to follow you back... Apologies in advance if you follow me!

Edit: Ugh! I'm an idiot. I'm actually @-- goes to show how much I use Twitter! Edited by ThunderPeel2001

Whereas Bamblesquatch is met with immediate understanding? :erm:

It's a nonsense word, doesn't mean anything--there's nothing to parse out in my mind, no "sticky" words.

When I started on Twitter, it was mainly for gaming and as a real-time extension of here (Thumbs). That's not been the case for a long time now, so I figured I'd change it.

starshiptroopersz.jpg

It's a nonsense word, doesn't mean anything--there's nothing to parse out in my mind, no "sticky" words.

When I started on Twitter, it was mainly for gaming and as a real-time extension of here (Thumbs). That's not been the case for a long time now, so I figured I'd change it.

starshiptroopersz.jpg

I was just being a smart arse. You said you changed your account name because some people didn't understand it, but you changed it to something which nobody understands.

Actually, I guess there's a kind of perverse, Alan Moore style, logic to that, now that I think about it! :tup:

Edited by ThunderPeel2001