Erkki

Bad games that are good

FF-X is just one of the worst game I've ever played : it's long, it's boring, it's badly written and it is merely a game : you get to go from one point to the other in order to trigger cutscenes for the first 6 hours; then only, are you allowed to get anything solid in terms of gameplay.

Then, you understand it's shite at the core .

But being beaten by a game I despise is the kind of thing which tends to make me play it more ... and so I am now over 15 hours of game ( i.e. 5/6 hours of actual fights).

I'm really stupid, because it's not like the game demonstrating sparks of genius, all it has are sparks of mediocrity... I'm quite ashamed it still makes me going.

Trespasser was the sort of gem whose rough edges were a part of it's immersive charm. I loved it.

In retrospect, the Microprose game 'Mantis' was a bit crappy, but being rather young and having never seen a game like it when I happened across a free copy (my dad was given damaged stock from work), it utterly facinated me, enough for me to somehow work my way through it.

I had a fondness for 'Zeliard' too, I played a hell of a lot of that. I suppose I wouldn't consider it a work of greatness now though, I don't know.

Soldier of Fortune - Both of them (PC)

Ren and Stimpy's Invention (Gen/MD)

Sting! (PC)

Indiana Jones' Desktop Adventures (PC)

South Park (n64)

South Park (n64)

Seriously? I don't see how you can call that a "bad game that is good". I had the misfortune of playing this with three other people once. You know how some bad games are actually kind of fun when you play with a few friends? NOT THAT ONE. It was painful.

Seriously? I don't see how you can call that a "bad game that is good". I had the misfortune of playing this with three other people once. You know how some bad games are actually kind of fun when you play with a few friends? NOT THAT ONE. It was painful.

I actually thought the multiplayer was the only good thing about it, it was just turok 2.

I too enjoyed the South Park game. Of course, up till then my entire experience with shooters had been Dark Forces on the PC, (I was 10, give me a break) and when I tried to play it again recently, having remembered it fondly, it was total shit. Still, at the time, I really liked the South Park game. And firing a cow onto my next door neighbour's head as a small child never got old.

The first Ecstatica game on PC

I got so far after travelling through the minefield of crashes (like as soon as you enter the village, don't turn left) I got a ways in and gave up because of a completely unavoidable one.

Greendog the beached Surfer dude on the Megadrive. Why did I play that game? Why?

Beatdown: Fists of Vengeance on Xbox, equal parts addictive and rubbish. I cannot currently put it down. It reminds me of River City Ransom but with plastic surgery and poor voice acting. It is also one of the few games I've ever seen that actively supports Memory Units. The Standards work done to get that working alone would explain why the game has graphical glitches all over the place.

The first Ecstatica game on PC

Hmm, certainly wasn’t the greatest but that didn’t stop me playing it for hours either though. ;(

Psygnosis’ output suffered a steady drop in quality from around the time the original Ecstatica was released and onwards, if I remember rightly. Which leads me to…

Destruction Derby on the original PlayStation! A pants game that you just had to have one more go on. The same people went on to create the Driver series. :fart:

Destruction Derby! That game suffered from something that is still evident in racing games today.

The destruction bowl was fun, for awhile. But the racing levels:

-Turn round first corner

-Get the nth corner wrong or slow down too much on a straight...

-Get creamed by 40 cars directly behind you, that only ever make mistakes if they ram into the back of you

I've seen this in games like Burnout, where you race a perfect lap to discover that the guy in second place is a second behind you and about to overtake.

I've seen this in games like Burnout, where you race a perfect lap to discover that the guy in second place is a second behind you and about to overtake.

Two little words: “blue” and “shell”. :frusty:

But I digress…

All racing games cheat, though. The only racing game I've played where it hasn't felt like it (but it did!) was Diddy Kong Racing. And that was because of all the sneaky tricks you could use to get extra speed, such as letting go of the accelerator when using a turbo until rainbow coloured smoke begins to appear, using power slides for regular turns and tight powerslides for tighter turns, getting all ten bananas (and not losing them!) to slightly increase your maximum speed... Man, that game was all about strategy.

Still cheated something chronic, but you really felt accomplishment when you won, especially against that FREAKING OCTOPUS. CHALLENGE ME TO A RACE, WILL YOU?!

...I'm sorry.

So, awful games that you played anyway? Bombjack. awful Awful AWFUL.

Bombjack. awful Awful AWFUL.

BLASPHEMER!

Seriously, that game’s brilliant – just bloody hard that’s all. I’m referring to the Spectrum 48k+ version though, so if you mean some other more recent (and heavily bastardised) version then fair do’s.

I'm sure someone will disagree but, Unreal Tournament 2004. I hated that game and that engine, but somehow, after having a really crappy day at Uni, there was something theraputic about shooting up some bastard aliens.

Yeah, I'm with you on that one. Although I only ever play against bots as online shooter players generally irritate me. Still, Unreal 2004 was worth the money more for the mods than anything else. The game itself wasn't that hot, but the mods made it good.

Yeah, I'm with you on that one. Although I only ever play against bots as online shooter players generally irritate me. Still, Unreal 2004 was worth the money more for the mods than anything else. The game itself wasn't that hot, but the mods made it good.

I agree some of the mods were amazing. Unfortunately, I had to work on making a mod for school, and it was a miserable experience. I have great respect for those who make amazing mods in Unreal.

UT2004 isn't a bad game (well, ok, maybe I'm a bit biased).

anyway, it's a great game to use for creating mods, but it always saddens me to see the same crap being created over and over again. But there are quite some interesting mods, some never finished and some still not released :(

Did anyone play Spider-Man for the PlayStation? I may be the only one (and a quick look of reviews would suggest I am) but I thought that was terrible! I don't know why, something I just couldn't put my finger on but I borrowed it from a friend and just simply had to complete it...

don't know if you could consider them bad, but they are quite nice:

Asterix & Obelix XXL 1 & 2

athough the 2nd one had a very annoying arena level

Did anyone ever play a game called Deadline on the PC?

It was an x-com rip-off, except it was terrible. But I enjoyed it.

Weird no one mentioned Evil Twin.

I think this was the prime example for me for a love-hate-relationship with a game.

Wonderful graphic style, music, sound, story, dark humor, but ridden with countless bugs, camera annoyances and barely something resembling you could call a control, more a chaos.

I've never finished it after I lost the save games. I often stopped playing it in frustration for months just to come back because I remembered how wonderful it was in some parts.

The old adventure/RPG Veil Of Darkness was of similar, but less shizophrenic breed. It had a wonderful story and atmosphere, but some pointless mazes and the chance-based combat system made it hard in some places to appreciate it fully.

There are some examples of freeware games I felt similar with, specifically with all Captain Mostly games.

Wow.. you could run Evil Twin? All it did on my machine was crach either on startup or within a couple of minutes after starting a game.