What's your favourite movie?

That's a difficult question.

My favorites at least include (but not limited to):

Tron

Labyrinth

Total Recall

Ghostbusters

True Lies

I've got way to many movies I like to pick favorites.

Gattaca,

Solaris (2003 Soderbergh remake),

Akira...

SNAKES ON A MOTHAF*CKIN PLANE!!!

(well, maybe not, but it still rocks!)

Snakes is a movie that needs context;

When I went to see it, there were three of us in high spirits, armed with gummi snakes from the Sweet Factory and launching loud *hisses* at the screen. Half the fun of the movie is being in the audience; we were lucky enough to be in an audience that "got" the movie, and got exactly what we expected. By the end, there were other random people hissing at the snakes without us telling them to or ANYTHING

There is definitely an excellent drinking game in there for when the DVD comes out. Someone dies? Have a drink! See a snake? Have a drink! The end credits roll? Peel yourself up off the floor and check into rehab!

So many that I won't think of until someone reminds me. But off the top of my head...

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Yellow beard

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Casablanca

Adaptation

Twelve Monkeys

Dr. Strangelove

The Godfather

Brazil

Blade Runner

Lost in Translation (this one for some reason means a lot to me ... it makes me very very happy and I always get watery eyes at the end)

Those are my ultimate favorites. Then there's like 50 or-so movies that I also really like.

Dude, Marek, I just read you sig. I see you've experience the awesomeness of "Manos": The Hands of Fate. MST3K version? MST3K rules. I've downloaded a bunch of episodes this summer. Puma Man was the first episode I ever saw. It made me laugh so hard we had to stop the video a couple of times so I could breath. :tup:

Also, I'm really looking forward to the release of Ridley Scott's definitive cut of Blade Runner. I wonder if Harrison's voice-overs will be included in this cut.

The Godfather Part II! Sure, the godfather is the godfather, but part II is so much more complex, IMO :oldman:

And Howl's Moving Castle is my current favorite movie...

Also, I'm really looking forward to the release of Ridley Scott's definitive cut of Blade Runner. I wonder if Harrison's voice-overs will be included in this cut.

I really doubt that, because originally there was not supposed to be any narration at the beginning of the movie.

Lost in Translation

Edward Scissorhands

Arabian Lawrence

Superman the movie

La Cité des enfants perdus

Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain

Leon

I'm propably forgetting a lot of great ones that I love but those are some of the most important.

Tarkovsky's movies would propably be in the list if I had ever actually seen even one of those. Same with Kubrick, maybe. And Kurosawa. Man, I really feel like I have failed to watch so many important movies.

La Cité des enfants perdus

Good call man. That makes my list. Also:

Save the Green Planet! (2005)

The Atomic Cafe (1982)

Bubba Ho-Tep (2003)

This is Spinal Tap (1982)

Resevoir Dogs (1991)

I think that covers a bunch of good ones that have yet to be listed.

"Adaptation" over "Being John Malkovich"? I don't know if I can get behind that one.
You are right, I should have included Being John Malkovich.

I really like Adaptation for all the ridiculous high-concept self-referential postmodern cleverness that's going on. It really blows my mind even on repeat viewings. But I also don't like it as much as Being John Malkovich or Eternal Sunshine since it lacks the strong character core that those movies have.

Moos: I've known about MST3K for a few years but didn't really dive in until recently. I saw Manos a couple of days ago and it was so hilarious and so so horrible at the same time. It's really the worst movie ever made, by any objective measurement. Even Ed Wood could do better. I don't think I'd ever be able to watch the original, non MST3K, version.

Puma Man is awesome. I can also recommend, off the top of my head, Teenagers From Outer Space, Space Mutiny and The Final Sacrifice (also known as the episode with Zap Rowsdower). If you've got any recommendations let me know!

I agree with a lot of the movies already posted, so I'll just post a film that no one has mentioned yet - and it always seems to get forgotten on this type of list for some reason. L.A. Confidential. I can watch that movie anytime and it never gets old to me. I think it's one of the few movies I like every single aspect about and I really admire how well-made it is. If you haven't seen it, it's a neo noir, detective type story set in the 50's with three cops investigating a case, each on their own.

Puma Man is awesome. I can also recommend, off the top of my head, Teenagers From Outer Space, Space Mutiny and The Final Sacrifice (also known as the episode with Zap Rowsdower). If you've got any recommendations let me know!

Let's see, of the ones I've watched so far: Fugitive Alien, Gamera vs Guiron (IMO, the best of the Gamera movies), Daddy-O, Pod People, Cave Dwellers, Hobgoblins, and The Touch of Satan. I haven't watched it yet, but Riding with Death is several of my friends' favorites.

Tarkovsky's movies would propably be in the list if I had ever actually seen even one of those. Same with Kubrick, maybe. And Kurosawa. Man, I really feel like I have failed to watch so many important movies.
Man. Just to cover these directors, my favourites include:

Andrei Rublev

Yojimbo

Rashomon

Seven Samurai

Paths of Glory

2001: Space Odyssey

Dr. Strangelove

Solaris, dude. The original gets me all weepy.

A Clockwork Orange is missing too, but it's not like Kubrick made bad movies. Just see them all.

Solaris, dude. The original gets me all weepy.

A Clockwork Orange is missing too, but it's not like Kubrick made bad movies. Just see them all.

I couldn't put down a dozen Kubrick movies simply becuase I've seen so few Tarkovsky movies... it would be an exponential list and those are not fun. Kurosawa did make more really hawt movies, but these are his best Toshiro Mifune films.

Andrei Rublev is such a bizarre movie, very weird structure. Not exactly David Lynch anti-linear structure, but it doesn't watch as a movie; it is more like a collection of situations, with little rhyme and reason, in which these characters are thrown. I was really bored with it half the way through and then something happened and the latter half of the movie pulled together, almost unexpectedly... it was as if the first half was the training for the proper internalizing of the second half.

I had my eye on this Criterion box for a while now, but it is so damn expensive.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The (1974)

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

Blade Runner (1982)

Kwai tsan tseh (1984) - aka "Wheels on Meals"

Akira (1988)

Batman Returns (1992)

Groundhog Day (1993)

Pulp Fiction (1994)

Ghost in the Shell (1995)

Heat (1995)

Se7en (1995)

Twelve Monkeys (1995)

L.A. Confidential (1997)

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)

American Beauty (1999)

Being John Malkovich (1999)

Fight Club (1999)

American Psycho (2000)

Gladiator (2000)

Me, Myself & Irene (2000)

Lost in Translation (2003)

Batman Begins (2005)

Huo Yuan Jia (2006) - aka "Jet Li's Fearless"

OK, I admit; twenty-five's a tad extreme. But I love films so I tried to shortlist my most favourite flicks from the various genres above.