ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Thailand has a thing against Steve McQueen and women and/or people of color?

Just now, Roderick said:

Thailand has a thing against Steve McQueen and women and/or people of color?

Women led films outside of Korean, kid and/or mega blockbuster films aren't seen as appealing here. Same goes for films with black leads, with the exception obviously being Black Panther. Widows is both of those things.

The PÖFF festival is over and I can go back to normal life (of watching only one movie per day on average). The last movie I saw was also one of the strongest, The Tap Box, about a Vietnamese thug, who is also into the arts and is torn between having normal human feelings and wanting to do his job well. It features some great (to me) theater performances in costume.

[edit] the original title is Song Lang.

Suspiria is great! It's really strange to think about the fact that the director's previous film was Call Me by Your Name, though. They are of so different genres. I think I miss some of the symbolism in Suspiria, but I think it does a really really good job of being both a good remake and a good film in its own right. Thankfully I have a really shitty memory so I don't even remember how precisiely it matches the oiriginal. But I think at least the ending is quite different. And maybe a bit over the top... or well... a lot over the top. The top is blown away by it... Not just the top.

Managed to see Sorry To Bother You at the local indie cinema and was quite disappointed. It's a load of moderately interesting ideas thrown at a tired cliche of a plot, and it doesn't get going for at least the first hour - this really could have done with at least twenty minutes trimming off. As others have noted, it has touches of Idiocracy, Kaufman and Gondry about it, but the thing I was reminded most of was Gremlins 2 - that's the level of satirical sophistication it was playing at. Not necessarily a bad thing, but here the story drags too much to make up for it.